KLS

'Tailor-made' holidays??
Hi all

Does anyone know if there is any such thing as a company that truly makes 'tailor made' holidays?

The reason i ask is, we were watching Michael Palin on his travels through the Himalayas on BBC Prime the other night, and he visited Simla or Shimla in India. My Dad who is visiting, piped up that he was born there and would love to go back and see it again. But he said he remembers more of Madras and Kerala (sp), they moved around alot! I'd love to arrange a trip for him to see all these places again before he gets too old :lol: but i wouldn't have a clue where to start to be honest. Apart from Simla i don't even know where the other places are so have no clue about how we could get from A to B to C etc and co-ordinate hotels flights trains etc etc. Basically i'm lazy and i want someone to do it for me :lol: There's no way we could go over and just 'wing it' as my parents are in their late 60's and wouldn't even consider doing anything like that.

Anyone ever arranged anything similar or have any pointers??

Thanks
Karen

Andy

'Tailor-made' holidays??
Good Ole Claire (canim) always
comes up with the goods.

RIK

'Tailor-made' holidays??
Hi Karen.We did this in Jan and Feb of this year and Booked a prıvate ıtinıery with an Indian Co. as it worked out much cheaper than going through some of the people that Canim has mentioned.Try this e-mail ındıanholiday@vsni.net They are registered by the Indıan Goverment and I have to say Bloody Good.Just tell them How long you want to stay,Where you want to go and how long you want to stay at that place.The Standard of Hotel that you want ( I advise 5*) and they will do the rest.We booked our own flights as we travelled from Turkey and they met us at the Airport in Indıa.Once you have done your itinery they will revise it and submit to you along with prices.Good Luck.

Ian

KLS

'Tailor-made' holidays??
Thanks for your replies

Canim some of the places on those sites just look like paradise......i've got really itchy feet now! But i must admit i'd had a look at a couple of them and although some advertise 'tailor made' when it comes down to it you have to pick your destinations from a list...though they are fabulous....and seriously pricey! But i will check them out in more detail, thank you!

Ian that sounds like what i'm looking for, will get some more details from the old man and then drop them an email. How did you find your trip? What was India like? I would love to go and so would my dad but my mum is 'iffy'...needs some persuading! Plus Hubby needs convincing to foot the bill :lol:

Freda thanks for that link will check it out :)

Karen

RIK

'Tailor-made' holidays??
Hi Karen.Indıa in the City's is very very poor and unless you are able to 'carry on regardless' you will not enjoy it.I had been before but my wife had not and she found it Horrendous.We spent about 8 days touring New Delhi, Jaipur, Agra and Mumbai (Bombay ) We then had two weeks at a Beach Hotel in Goa. This part of India is not poor has great Beaches and lot's of places to see.If you hire a Taxi all day, everyday and eat at the best Restaurants you will have a problem in spending your money.We did everything 5* and including External and Internal flights, Tour Co. and all Hotels spent 4500 GBP'S.

Ian

Freda

'Tailor-made' holidays??
:307bt:
KLS said:
Thanks for your replies

Canim some of the places on those sites just look like paradise......i've got really itchy feet now! But i must admit i'd had a look at a couple of them and although some advertise 'tailor made' when it comes down to it you have to pick your destinations from a list...though they are fabulous....and seriously pricey! But i will check them out in more detail, thank you!

Ian that sounds like what i'm looking for, will get some more details from the old man and then drop them an email. How did you find your trip? What was India like? I would love to go and so would my dad but my mum is 'iffy'...needs some persuading! Plus Hubby needs convincing to foot the bill :lol:

Freda thanks for that link will check it out :) Rica ederim!! Good luck!! Wish I had £4500 to spend Ian!! Do you want a cleaner?

Karen

Freda

'Tailor-made' holidays??
Dont know what I did wrong there guys, tried to use Karens quote ....then add a bit?

Guz1

'Tailor-made' holidays??
Karen,
I spent a month in India about 20 years ago. Started with a couple of nights in Delhi, a trip around the Golden Triangle (Udaipur, Jaipur, Agra). We also visited Bangalore, Mysore, Kerala and Goa and had a night or two in Bombay before flying home.

Apart from New Delhi (stayed with friends), Kerala and Goa (medium range hotels) we stayed in top class hotels which was a must in India at that time and from what I have heard things haven't changed all that much. The two hotels that impressed me most were the Lake Palace Hotel (they made a James Bond movie there) and the Holiday Inn in Mysore. We also stayed at the Rambah Palace Hotel but I thought it was over-rated.

Before I went there, someone described India to me as "an assault on the senses". Well it is that and more. In my experience the two senses that were assaulted were sight and smell. Be prepared for abject poverty and great wealth living almost side by side. You will stay in sumptuous hotels with shanty town just outside the gate. For example, from the beautiful Lake Palace hotel we could see the locals doing their laundry on the edge of the lake. The guide books talked about the monkeys that have made their homes at the railway station at Agra (near the Taj Mahal). Well, fine for the guide books but when you're trying to catch a train at dusk there's nothing cute about monkeys screeching just above your head and seeing whole families sleeping on the open ground.

Goa has beautiful beaches but when we were there I was terrified of the vicious wild dogs that seemed to be everywhere. Kerala was lovely. I preferred it to Goa and the people seemed to have a better standard of living there. When I was there it still showed signs of having been a favourite haunt of the hippies of the '70s.

Despite the fact that it is a magnificent country and I saw a special kind of dignity in even the poorest people, I wouldn't visit India again because more than anything it was an assault on my conscience. I have never seen such poverty and my overriding memory of my visit is of feeling guilty every time I stepped outside the hotel. There is no point trying to ease your conscience by giving to the numerous beggars (give to one and you will be surrounded by many).

Try to persuade your parents to visit Turkey instead.

Maria.

KLS

'Tailor-made' holidays??
Thanks for the info Ian and Maria. It certainly sounds like a unique experience. I think i would be ok and Hubby certainly would. Although Dad is keen i think the India he remembers is a little selective, he was only a child after all, and i think my Mum would hate it (not the place, as such but the whole 'assault on the senses' :lol: ).

If Mum was a 'gung ho' type i think we'd go for it, as it is, we may have to give it more thought.

Thanks for the tips.

Karen

Latest Posts

Top Bottom