Guz1

Tackling the Turkish (Armenian) taboo
Interesting read Joe. The biggest stumbling block could be the Armenian objective of getting compensation and territory from Turkey.

Can't believe the effrontery of that woman demanding a DNA test to prove that Gul's mother wasn't Armenian.

i think DNA testing would only show that the Greeks Jews Arabs Turks Armenians etc etc all have the same genes..i hardly think genes differentiate between borders or cultural differences.
That aside its the terminology (ie genocide) used that people find unacceptable ..and which stirs up all sorts of resentment.
At the point of history when these events took place there was a lot of blood letting on both sides....the Armenians at the time thought that Russia would help them in their revolt against the Turks and they slaughtered thousands of their Turkish neighbours...
When it was clear that the Russians were not getting involved they(Armenians) were sent to concentration camps in areas around what is now the Syrian border and it was on this long enforced march and later in the camps that hundreds of thousands died as conditions were appalling
Apart from the question of accepting the term Genocide there is also the need to resolve relations with Azerbijan as Armenia invaded and laid claim to territory there which they still hold. This event was the reason for Turkey closing its borders with Armenia as a protest... in the early '90s.
─░ts a real hornets nest.

Guz1

Shirley: It shouldn't make any difference if his mother came from outer space.

I don't doubt that there were atrocities on all sides - nothing new there. Wouldn't it be better for Turkey's relations with its neighbours to have the independent investigation? Is this one of those emotive issues where the opposition will use it a stick to beat the government whatever they do (on don't do)? Seems rather sick to use such a sad episode in history as a political weapon.

Saoirse

very complicated political stuff where no side is lily white. Thank god I live here in the North of Ireland where we have none of that stuff

Latest Posts

Top Bottom