bettyboo

Syrup in Marmaris?
Does anyone know where I can buy syrup and/or treacle in the Marmaris area? Have tried the usual places - Tansas, Kipa, Migros - but haven't found any yet. Just fancy some parkin!

lighthouse

Syrup in Marmaris?
Re: Syrup

You can buy the syrup in Kipa, about 2 weeks ago I was in there and I saw one lonely jar of Lyles Golden Syrup sitting on the shelf, there was no price marked on the shelf so took it to the cash out when I paid for my bits to see how much it was ??? the price was, wait for it, waittttt........ 31.50 TL !!!, so I know that 'Lyles' is still sitting on the shelf somewhere :0)
You could try making it, or buying it online is also cheap, or get supplies from friend coming over.

Ingredients
200g sugar
50g water
1 kg sugar
600g boiling water
2 slice lemon

Method
1. Pour 200g sugar and 50g water into a large saucepan. On medium heat, twirl the pot around and caramelise the sugar until a dark golden colour.
2. Add the boiling water, the kilo sugar and lemon slices.
3. On low heat boil for 45 minutes until thick (stir it ocassionally if you must or leave it alone to do its own thing).
4. Cool and pour into sterilised jars or bottles. Label and store in a cool place.
TIPS
1. The syrup when hot will always look watery but will thicken when cooled.
2. If you find after cooling the syrup is not thick enough, don't panic - boil it again for a few more minutes.
3. On the other hand if you find after cooling the syrup is way too thick, make up another half recipe, add the 'hard' syrup in as well and boil it all together for less than the required 45 minutes.
4. Do not throw away the discarded lemon slice. It taste just like candied lemons.
Everyone will be making Golden Syrup now !!!!! Get cooking :0)

butt007

Warren
Syrup in Marmaris?

Pity you are not near Calis a couple of miles from Fethiye, I was in the pork shop last Sun and amongst other English foods were tins of Tate&Lyle syrup only 7-8liras I would have got some but could'nt think what to use for!!!
Warren

Syrup in Marmaris?

I'm sure that I saw Golden Syrup in the Import Shop in Marmaris - further along from the George and Dragon going out of central Marmaris. Others - SonnyJim? - may be able to give better directions.

saffie

Saffie
Syrup in Marmaris?

On the main road into Marmaris from down the mountain,past the first set of traffic lights and the Shell garage but before the second set of lights outside Bim. You'll see a wholesaler shop named Engins on the right just before the green and yellow Pehlivanoglu supermarket.

They are the stockists for most of the import shops in Marmaris and considerably cheaper than you will find anywhere else. The manager's name is Kubilay and he speaks good English and is very helpful.They have a good stock of English foods available and I've seen Tate and Lyles golden syrup in there,along with Branston pickle,Heinz tomato soup,custard,Oxo cubes,Heinz salad cream, Lime Juice.........etc.

saffie

Syrup in Marmaris?

teresa

Free Thinker
Syrup in Marmaris?

For the treacle you can substitute Pekmez (grape molasses) available everywhere in Turkey.

bettyboo

Syrup in Marmaris?

Many thanks for your help. if I can't find the "bought product" I'll certainly give it a go!

bettyboo

Syrup in Marmaris?

On the main road into Marmaris from down the mountain,past the first set of traffic lights and the Shell garage but before the second set of lights outside Bim. You'll see a wholesaler shop named Engins on the right just before the green and yellow Pehlivanoglu supermarket.

They are the stockists for most of the import shops in Marmaris and considerably cheaper than you will find anywhere else. The manager's name is Kubilay and he speaks good English and is very helpful.They have a good stock of English foods available and I've seen Tate and Lyles golden syrup in there,along with Branston pickle,Heinz tomato soup,custard,Oxo cubes,Heinz salad cream, Lime Juice.........etc.

saffie
Many thanks, Saffie.

Will certainly call in here now I know about it.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom