Saoirse

Top Poster Of Month
Surprising Statistic?? 2/3 expats return home within 3 years
Was just watching one of those travel progs today and a statistic given which I find surprising was that of UK buyers buying and moving abroad 2/3 return home within 3 years

Does this surprise you too?

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Re: Surprising Statistic??

Not really, 6 years here and ready to go home.
Having spent a lot of my life abroad the pull of home gets too great sometimes and, personally, I want to spend my twilight years there.

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
Re: Surprising Statistic??

no, after 3 years we were seriously thinking about it and returned home in Feb, just short of 5 years in Turkey

Philip,same here in the end could have climbed the walls was bored silly, dont get me wrong love the place and back over next week but to live full time not for me, Jim

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
No, not surprised.

People struggle when abroad due to UK family ties, paying for healthcare and/or the fact that they have never tried to put down roots, but have just treated their move as an extended holiday.

giglets

Percentage of expats planning to return to Britain drops over the last six months
Around 65 per cent of expats say their financial prospects are better abroad, while only 14 per cent disagree
Lloyds TSB International survey shows there is a growing aversion to the ‘UK lifestyle’

With fears of greater austerity in Britain and the temptation of sunny skies abroad, a new survey put together by Lloyds TSB International in February has revealed many expats from the UK are cancelling plans to make the move back to their home territories. The research has revealed that 67 per cent say they now have no intention of coming move back to the UK – an 11 per cent leap over the last six months.

The overwhelming majority of expats (65 per cent) responded to the Lloyds TSB International Expat Survey* by saying that they felt their money had better prospects in the country they were living and only 14 per cent said they could see their financial outlook improving with a move back to Britain.

Jakob Pfaudler, Managing Director of Lloyds TSB International, commented: “We knew that most people who move abroad are glad they did so, but we were surprised at the growing pessimism about financial prospects in the UK. Much has been made of ‘austerity Britain’ in the press and elsewhere, and it seems to begin to contribute to expats’ decisions to settle elsewhere for good.”

“But generally,” he added, “we continue to find that lifestyle - not financial considerations - are the decisive factors in expats’ keenness to stay overseas.”

Study Finds UK Expats Oppose Return to Britain

These findings published Feb 2011 - choose your stats to fit your beliefs.

Saoirse

Top Poster Of Month
all I did was quote a holiday programme-no beliefs either way on the issue!

funlife

I went back after 3 years but only for 6 months god that seemed a life sentance couldnt wait to get back ! I love my life here and plan to end my days here insallah !

Lillylilly

Ex Altinkum Resident
We had a "four year holiday" and are much happier back. Not to say wont still be travelling but we wont live in Turkey again for long periods. Boring and family ties were our main reasons.

Saoirse

Top Poster Of Month
I genuinely havent a clue wether I would love it or hate it

I reckon I lack the guts to try it

debbie-ducks

debbie-ducks
I only come out and stay for the summer, when we brought our place, two lots of our neighbours were English what brought here, and stayed here permanently in 2003 now have gone back said to boring in the winter there said was climbing the walls.

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
No, not surprised.

People struggle when abroad due to UK family ties, paying for healthcare and/or the fact that they have never tried to put down roots, but have just treated their move as an extended holiday.

Not always the case, we sold our holiday home and bought a house, and learned the language, we had friends both expat and Turks and formed a rambling club and helped raise money for the local street animals, we did not have money worries, we were just bored and when my husband became ill that was what we needed to make our minds up.

we certainly didn't treat our life there as a holiday

luckydope

luckydope
Its very interesting really and all depends on what people actually want from life.
some of us have had such stressful lives/jobs in the uk that being here is wonderful.
You do have to adapt. Living as if you are on a holiday is never going to work long term, and we see more men getting bored and grumpy than women.
There is plenty of charity work to do but often they say "i don't see myself doing that ".
Lack of financial planning also saw many brits leave Turkey. I think they were so used to living really well off their interest that when it dropped they just could not cut back.

Its a beautiful country, but not for everyone.
Some people just can't cope with the quirks and niggles that are here and are better sorted to the organised uk where you know whats what.
After 5 years, we have learnt a lot but would never consider going back to the UK.

im not surprised at the stats
İ cant speak for other countries but here in Alanya..and also stories on this forum would bear the figures out and theres nothing wrong with realising the place you couldnt wait to get away from is not so bad after all.

....many people come with high expectations and after a couple of years the cracks start to show....homesickness missing the family and friends and especially the family are the usual reasons given for disenchantment and wanting to go home, or for some with itchy feet to move to another country like Bulgaria.
Over the years ive met so many people who think the country they love on holiday or on frequent visits to a second home is the same when they live here permanently and its completely different...especially if they are on a tight budget and rely on savings or high interest rates.

People who last are those who take the trouble to learn the local culture and language and dont expect every Turk to be like the perpetually grinning fire eating card trick playing lotharios they loved on holiday.

i also think that one of the main reasons for people throwing in the towel is they miss the familiarity of knowing how to get things done without the frustration of coping with a fiendish language and Turkish nonchalance.

mollag

Kipper restorer
I imagine some peeps are disappointed when they find its not holiday Turkey all year, winter is a huge contrast to the summer experience, and of the two, i prefer the winter [ 5 years in and counting, oh and dont believe Yalides, he's alredy in his twilight years] :blowkiss:

teosgirl

I'm not surprised by the statistic.
For whatever reason a good percentage of those year-round expats decide to relocate, either home or elsewhere, after a few years. Valian has observed the most frequent reasons given by those leaving.
Ask yourself how many long term (more than 10 years or longer) foreign residents you know? I'd wager not as many as the 'new friends'.

Another distinguishing factor are those who retire early Vs those who relocate due to marriage. I've noticed the ones that stick it out are usually the ones who have made a conscious decision to live here and raise a family with their Turkish spouse. Once you add kids, a home and a job into the equation i.e. a normal life, it's not that easy to up and leave, and most who do commit to a 'normal' lifestyle find it much easier to adapt anyway.

Charlotte

Shirley

i also think that one of the main reasons for people throwing in the towel is they miss the familiarity of knowing how to get things done without the frustration of coping with a fiendish language and Turkish nonchalance.

You nailed it girl!!
So true!!

newhorizon

"Light Years Away"
Relocation and especially integration into any country is not easy and if decisions are made purely after several holidays in the sun...I guess boredom can set in if doing the same thing 24/7 or if residing in the touristy coastal resorts with activity mainly in the peak season months followed by quiet winters with milder weather than say in the U.K.

It's quite evident that those that are still there 10+ years are those that have either family ties there or have really got stuck into either some charity work caring for children, abandoned pets, love the culture, speak the language etc and keep themselves constantly busy. To just stay in a place due to it being warmer with more sunshine and no other cultural, historical, family or business interests would no doubt get boring after some time.

That said, there's every good reason to try it out..it's an adventure.

Ideally, best compromise if you can afford to do so would be have half your time in Turkey (obviously if you've not married into a Turkish family, lol etc) and half in your original place of abode e.g U.K., Ireland, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Norway, etc U.S.A. or wherever etc.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom