bickern

Surely these scams don't still work?
I understand how in the early days many were fooled into replying to these sort of emails, and many were gullible enough to send thousands in the hope they would get a piece of the pie, although apart from being gullible and stupid, you would also have to be dishonest.

What does cross my mind is the fact they are still being sent out means there must be idiots still responding.

:blink:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Good day to you,
I am a banker with China Guangfa Bank. I am sincerely Sorry for bugging into your privacy, it's due to a business deal, l am the Chief Risk Officer and Executive Director of China Guangfa Bank in Hong Kong. I want to present you as the owner of 49.5 million US dollars In my bank since i am the only one aware of the funds due to my investigations. Please grant me the benefit of doubt and hear me out. I need you to signify your interest by replying to this email: jameshk07@rogers.com
James Morrow.
Livingstone College Legal Notice: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee, please delete as you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. If you have received this email in error please notify the system administrator at Livingstone College. Thanks for your cooperation!

Maisie

Agreed. When I first got connected to the internet my son, who had been on already for a few years, warned me about these. He said that if I received an email from someone I did not know, chances were it was a scam. He set my email (somehow) so that I could read these before opening them, so could delete them without worrying I had missed something important.

It does amaze me though that some people think these are real. I suppose the more usual ones at the moment are the ones purporting to be from HMRC. Rebates? Yeah right!

Maisie

ted j

About 6 years ago, I cashed in 2 private pension plans
Each one had a cash tax free lump sum and a weekly "wage" after that
I had been on the phone for ages with one of the people who couldn't seem to grasp the simplest instructions from me . In the end, I said "just post the cheque to me when you work it out properly"

About ten days later , a cheque arrived, I opened it and it was for a lot less than I was expecting, so I rang him back and queried the amount (£1200)
He assured me no cheque had been sent out yet, so I checked the envelope.....sure enough it was my correct name, address and postcode (hand written) and the cheque was payable to me (the envelope even had a first class stamp)

The internet can be really useful sometimes , I tried the name and business address on the cheque and narrowed it down to London , a textile business,who seemed to do a lot of business with the far east , so I rang the contact number and asked to speak to the person who's name was on the cheque

The guy came on and when I explained I had a cheque from him, was really apologetic , apparently his ex partner had pinched a company cheque book and had sent out cheques willy nilly to random names and addresses (11 in total)...all for round about a grand each .
I had to the take the cheque into our local cop shop, where I had a hell of a time trying to convince them I was going to leave the cheque in their custody in case a court case followed . The only follow up I got was about 6 weeks after, someone from the cop shop rang me and asked why my name was on a cheque that had landed on his desk , so I had to tell the story all over again, nothing more after that

ted j

That thought crossed my mind Pete , but the cheque was legit and addressed to me
When I contacted the manager of the company, he said he'd been all morning trying to sort it out , I wanted to hand it in otherwise I could have been seen as an accomplice

Never found out if the ex partner got done

mollag

Kipper restorer
I wound up a Nigerian scam gang who eventually sent me a cheque made out to my "Tribal title" .
What a shower and yet so many fall for it.
wsttv7.jpg

If you want a good laugh, and havent heard of Bob Servant, read a couple of his brilliant email exchanges with some of these scammers, especially the one where he asked for the money to be paid in lions, monkeys and gold so that he could continue with his lifetime desire to have wild animals in his garden!
His books are absolutely brilliant detailing his hundreds of email exchanges where the scammers were driven potty by him.

Read The Emails - Welcome to Bob Servant's Magnificent Website

Maisie

The scammers are still out there! Today I have received the following in an email:

"This is to notify you that after the last annual auditing, all unpaid claims have been resolved to be released in the next quarter hence we have determined that you are eligible to receive a reconciliation payment of $1.8m being your claims part payment as ordered by International monetary fund (IMF).

Following the discrepancies of all affected banks/companies to individuals globally in international payments, we have resolved to take over making sure all owed contract, inheritance, award and compensation debts are released which affected your claims but due to invalid account details/records, we were unable to credit your account. Please reconfirm your full name, sex, age and address and allow us 5-6 working days for your part payment to be processed and released to you through our accredited paying financial institution.

Contact below person:
Name: Lorenzo Bengat"

If only, if only!

Maisie

Last edited:
Top Bottom