Lemonhead

Devil's Advocacy LLC
Suggested Reading on Turkish History
Hopefully I've posted this in the right place. I looked for a "suggested reading" thread with no luck.

I wanted to share with you a couple of great books for the curious about Turkish history. As a self proclaimed history nut, I found these most enlightening. Great reading while by the pool or at the beach.

1) Osman's Dream - The History of the Ottoman Empire by Caroline Finkel
This starts right from the beginning with Osman Gazi's vision to the collapse of the Empire in the 20th century.

2) The Ottoman Empire by Colin Imber
The wonderful thing about this is the focus is on the Empire's reign from roughly 1300-1650. Excellent insight about areas of Turkey. It doesn't follow a logical chronological order, so I chose to keep a sperate scorecard to keep track of the players. It's an good source for history of the area of Turkey you're in.

Let me know your opinions of them.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
I've not read those that you've mentioned Lemonhead, but I am in the process of reading Birds Without Wings by Louis De Bernieres. I'm going to be able to give it some whilst travelling this week-end, really enjoying it.

ChrisBobs

Thanks Lemonhead - havent seen those - but always keen to have a list of must-reads!

I've not read those that you've mentioned Lemonhead, but I am in the process of reading Birds Without Wings by Louis De Bernieres. I'm going to be able to give it some whilst travelling this week-end, really enjoying it.

This book appears to be well recommended; my wife is totally engrossed with the content and is enjoying every page. I can`t wait to book it out when she has finished with it.

Enjoy.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom