Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin

Strong quake kills two in Turkey, sparks widespread panic....
The fourth powerful earthquake in a week rocked the western Turkish city of Izmir early Friday, causing two deaths and keeping terrified residents on the edge, officials and reports said.

The 5.9 magnitude quake struck Turkey's third-largest city around 12:40 am (2140 GMT Thursday), leading to about 30 people suffering broken bones or concussion from jumping off balconies or out of windows, Anatolia news agency reported.

A spokesman for the Izmir governor's office told AFP that a 68-year-old man died of a heart attack while running down the stairs of his house in panic.

A 70-year-old woman also died of a heart attack in the nearby city of Aydin, Anatolia reported.

Turkey's Kandilli observatory said the epicenter of the quake was under the Aegean Sea some 40 kilometers (about 25 miles) southwest of Izmir.

The Athens observatory said the quake measured 6.0 on the Richter scale while the US National Earthquake Information Center put its magnitude at 5.8.

'We heard a great big bang and then were shook violently, it was the strongest earthquake we've felt in years,' a retired teacher, Sinan Taskin, told AFP by telephone from Izmir, 300 kilometers (190 miles) south of Istanbul.

Izmir has been on edge since Monday when three violent quakes, measuring 5.7, 5.9 and 5.6 respectively, shook the area in one day, leaving some 30 people injured.

Many residents were reluctant to return indoors after Friday's tremor, with Turkish television showing hundreds passing the night huddled around bonfires or sleeping in makeshift tents in parks.

Schools were called off in Izmir and the surrounding province bearing the same name for one day.

Turkey's top seismologist warned residents to be vigilant and stay away from damaged or derelict buildings as the region, which is crossed by several faultlines, was likely to be shaken by more earthquakes.

'There is intense seismic activity in the region. We expect this activity to continue for some time but we cannot say until when,' Gulay Barbarosoglu, the head of the Kandilli observatory told journalists in Istanbul.

Sylvia

Hi Lee
These earthquakes, have you had any in Kusa, god im so afraid of them, and here is me thinking of moving to Tinky next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

merlin

The one in the early hours of this morning was directly in Kusadasi.

I think the worrying factor is that a leading seismologist predicts further quakes in the near term and judging by the TV coverage its being taken extremely seriously.

Merv!

Struggs

Recycled Teenager
OMG what is happening to the weather in the world, there has been so many deaths caused by the weather this year, it is so tragic and frightening!!!

carmarg

We felt it in Altinkum. The lights downstairs really shook But neighbours who were in bed never felt a thing

Mags

lorraine

Non Active Member
Lets hope that it does not get stronger causing more damage or fatalities, watching this with interest, last night around 11.30-12 felt a slight tremor near Fethiye, lights swayed slightly but nothing registered on any websites. take care all members in the currently affected regions of Izmir .

merlin

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office have updated their website to reflect the recent earthquake activity....

NATURAL DISASTERS

Many parts of Turkey lie on a major seismic fault line and are subject to earthquakes and tremors. In eastern Turkey, an earthquake in May 2003, measuring 6.4 on the Richter Scale resulted in over 150 deaths. Other recent incidents include:

On 17 October 2005, three earthquakes measuring 5.6, 5.7 and 5.9 on the Richter scale struck Izmir. Minor structural damage was reported, with 6 people sustaining injuries. On 21 October 2005 an earthquake measuring 5.9 on the Richter scale struck Izmir. Minor structural damage was reported with 19 people sustaining injuries. Also on 21 October 2005 the seismic Observatory in the district advised residents of Izmir that serious seismic activity in the region will continue for some time.

FCO Website

Merv!

canim

untitled.jpg

More pics here

cleeker

Does anyone know if any tremors have been reported in the Bodrum/Yalikavak areas?

Gail

There was a few tremors in Turgutreis last Monday, I didn't feel them but the lady on the table next to me did.

merlin

hipppychick said:
Have there been any tremours in Datca?

cleeker said:
Does anyone know if any tremors have been reported in the Bodrum/Yalikavak areas??

Not to my knowledge although minimal shocks may be felt in many regions of Turkey as the epicentre shocks are so high....

Merv!

Actually Datca lies on a fault line...if you have a look at the fault lines which cross Turkey you will see most of the irritability is recorded over in that region. Historically there have been major shocks recorded in the region. one of the fault lines is known as the Cnidos fault line.
One of the safest areas in the whole of Turkey is Alanya. Dont take my word for it..have a look at the well documented evidence.

pypyn

:eyeye: This is sounding serious ..did.nt think much of the ones on the monday but fridays one woke me up as the whole house was shaking..was scary to say the least .now i see 2 people died....So tragic...Our hearts go out to the families..Do we wait for the next ones? when will they happen? Is the news getting as far as the UK ? Any answers please ? (We live in Davutlar)

Last edited:

canim

pypyn said:
:eyeye: This is sounding serious ..did.nt think much of the ones on the monday but fridays one woke me up as the whole house was shaking..was scary to say the least .now i see 2 people died....So tragic...Our hearts go out to the families..Do we wait for the next ones? when will they happen? Is the news getting as far as the UK ? Any answers please ? (We live in Davutlar)

Pypyn,
the news here in the UK isnt saying a thing! Nomention of any earthquakes at all!

pypyn

thank you Canim ..if our kids got to hear about it they would panic..it was bad enough when the bomb went off on the dolmus in Kusadasi last July... they were so very worried bless them

bobthenob

Non Active Member
It's always a sad loss when it comes to many losing their lives,but unfortunately human activity is spreading in and onto these faultlines as well as increasing population on the already faultlines worldwide,we must learn to show respect to nature managing human activity in harmony with nature,l heard that New Zealand build houses where the foundations rock but the house is not effected when their are tremers,that's because between the house and the foundations are something that is similar to buffers as well as spaceing the building further away from each other and not to allow high rises.
lt's not the human activity that's the problem it's the attitude we have towards nature that causes all these problems.

Jillyj

Wow I live in Scumbet er sorry Gumbet and did nt feel I thing!!! Mind you im usually oblivious to them, every one elses seems to feel them but not me. There are tremors coming from my house but they are usually from the dog!!! AKA Bizem gaz!!!! :painkille :77wu: :focus: Anyway it is really tragic and Im just glad the damage was not as bad as the istanbul one, and my heart goes out to all the people that have been hurt or have lost someone.

Raysalaff

Just Call Me Ray !
I think it must be pointed out this thread was started in 2005!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom