RichnKim

We've Made It!
Street Dogs
There has been an decrease in the amount of street dogs in Dalyan lately.
In January we saw a tractor with a cage on the back rounding lots of dogs up - being dog lovers ourselves (as last year we took on a cross breed Kangal) this was very sad to see as the previous year the Belediye had taken them and they hadn't returned back so we can only assume the worst had happened to them.
But this year a week later all dogs returned back having been neutered or spayed and sporting new green tags in their ears. :thumbup:
So this was very pleasing for alot of us here in Dalyan who like dogs.
Has anyone else been tempted or taken on a street Dog?

Richnkim

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Street Dogs
Hi Richnkim
Yes i have taken on 5 street dogs over a 13 year period - all lovely ,faithful,loving dogs - i even bought a puppy back from Bodrum airport that i had seen being beaten over a period of 3 weeks when i was working for Thomson
I found homes for 4 of them - i rescued Cassie 3 years ago from a puppy when she was being beaten by the locals - unfortunatly she was badly poisioned = but after alot of TLC and medication she pulled through- i still have her but she is very wary of Turkish men and " covered " ladies !
Last August i took on another - a black and white springer spaniel that had been abandoned - about 9 months old and lovely - called him Murphy and keeping him also - he hasnt an ounce of nastiness in him
I also try to look after all the street dogs by feeding them the left overs every night from my restaurant - they all know at about midnight to come to visit us !!
Do take on a street dog if you possibly can
Good luck
Sue x

Harem

I've cliqued
Street Dogs
Yes, we too have taken on street dogs. We have two at the moment, but have taken on a total of 4. We have found them all to be very gentle and intelligent.

teresa

Free Thinker
Street Dogs
We have adopted one that turned up just over a year ago very scared and hungry. We have had her "done" and she has had all her vaccinations. She is still a semi street dog and sleeps on our veranda and will not come in the house although we have tried this winter. She is still fairly timid and we have just managed to get her past the front door but she wants us to leave it open all the time. However she has a wonderful character and she is very loyal.

She has a collar and name tag and everyone knows her now. I know of other neighbours who have also taken street dogs into their homes. I also feed the dogs in the winter because I feel they will be less of a problem if they are fed. In the summer more Turkish families arrive for the 6 month period and they normally feed them in the summer. I was asked by all these people to feed "their" dog during the winter.

We have had the dog catchers round this year a couple of times and I have a feeling that in this area the dogs get sent to the big kennel in the sky as we are outside the Fethiye catchment area where the dogs get tagged.

Last edited:

RichnKim

We've Made It!
Street Dogs
Its very nice to see caring people giving street dogs another chance of a better life.

At the moment one is enough for us as he is a big male cross breed Kangal and thinks he owns the whole town!

luckycat68 our dog too is also weary of Turkish Men and Covered Ladies and sometimes barks at them.
But I suppose being on the street he has had to protect himself.

We also found our dog was terrified of water - if we poured water in a bowl for him he would run away and it took him a while to have a drink and trust us. We can only presume this was because we had seen some restaurant/shop owners in Dalyan were scared of him and therefore they would throw water at him. (this was before we took him on)

We are glad we have given him a chance of happiness with us.

Richnkim

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Street Dogs
This is my beautiful dog,we named Megan,that l love dearly.She was one of a litter of nine,l heard she was born behind a restaraunt in Altinkum,all the others were given homes,except her,thats until she met us,and we fell for her straight away.
She brings a lot of happiness in our lives,with her comical behaviour,and "yes",she is one spoiled dog where she always get her way most of the time.
megangj5.jpg

Serdar

Street Dogs
Now he is not a street dog anymore. House dog at nights and garden dog during day time.

dsc0063qr3.jpg

There is no problem with his eyes however it is not easy to make eye contact with him :)

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Street Dogs
Looking at your dog serdar,was making me go a bit boss eyed.He looks like a real character,lovely dog

RichnKim

We've Made It!
Street Dogs
What lovely dogs...

Here is a photo of our dog:

dscf0681fx1.jpg

He was on the street all last summer but then we took him in last October and now he lives inside with us.

teresa

Free Thinker
Street Dogs
Ah well if we are all sharing photos then this is my dog Rosie "slumming it" on the veranda.

Rosie.jpg

SAMIMI

EX MEMBER
Street Dogs
Well done! to all of you for taking in those street dogs. Poor creatures, I often ask about them when i see them coming up to restaurants for food. I usually leave food on my plate as I ask the waiter to give it to the dogs. The restaurant owners are very good to feed these dogs. However, they do not seem to have much regard for the poor misfortunate cats. My heart goes out to them when I see them in the bins looking for scraps.

Street Dogs
SAMIMI said:
Well done! to all of you for taking in those street dogs. Poor creatures, I often ask about them when i see them coming up to restaurants for food. I usually leave food on my plate as I ask the waiter to give it to the dogs. The restaurant owners are very good to feed these dogs. However, they do not seem to have much regard for the poor misfortunate cats. My heart goes out to them when I see them in the bins looking for scraps.

For the cats do what I do - when you go out for a meal take a "cat bag" with you so you can put the left over meat or fish for the cats in this and then on you way back leave the leftovers for the cats where you see them. I always leave some meat or fish for this purpose and make hubby do the same.

Sue

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Street Dogs
My 2 cats are probably 2 of the best fed cats in Yalikavak but dispite this they STILL go rummaging in bins !! Dont know why - must be the nature of the street cats.
By the way we always feed the street cats at the end of the evening when restaurant closes.

laurencew

Street Dogs
RichnKim said:
There has been an decrease in the amount of street dogs in Dalyan lately.
In January we saw a tractor with a cage on the back rounding lots of dogs up - being dog lovers ourselves (as last year we took on a cross breed Kangal) this was very sad to see as the previous year the Belediye had taken them and they hadn't returned back so we can only assume the worst had happened to them.
But this year a week later all dogs returned back having been neutered or spayed and sporting new green tags in their ears. :thumbup:
So this was very pleasing for alot of us here in Dalyan who like dogs.
Has anyone else been tempted or taken on a street Dog?

Richnkim
Hi and HELP!

We were on hilday last month in Dalyan staying with a friend who has moved there and were immediately adopted by a street dog a beautiful battered boxer.

To cut a long story short we had all his injections done and have arranged to take him home to UK on 2nd June next.

Does anyone know if we need to get an Export licence and if so where to get it?

Cheers!

teresa

Free Thinker
Street Dogs
There was someone a few months ago who went back to the UK with her dog(s) perhaps another member will remember her name and you may be able to make contact. Have you tried a local vet for information?

I cannot help but I applaud your actions, he is a very lucky dog.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom