jakebeak

Stray dog
I just wanted to say that we have the most handsome stray dog on our site at the moment. He is definitely a Kangal cross with pale fur and that dark face. Sadly he is very emaciated. We fed him tonight as we feel so sorry for him. We can't take him on unfortunately as we have a male dog already and it wouldn't work! If he'd been a girl dog though we would have taken her on. Me and my husband (as per usual) were in tears tonight. Thought I'd share our angst!

Stray dog
If he isnt neutered you can always have a word with Ali Darmus to see if he will arrange collection to take him to the shelter and at least he wil have regular meals to build him up and be neutered.
Not sure if AD will be able to arrange collection as any surgery he does at the shelter is on a voluntary basis at present,but at least he is the only vet in Didim who is trying to do something to help the street dogs.
None of the others seem interested unless theres payment involved

RichnKim

We've Made It!
Stray dog
He sounds lovely.
Unfortunatly theres so many dogs we see and would like to help especially if they are hungry or nervous.
Its very hard sometimes not to feel guilty as you can't help them all but would like to.

Richnkim

Angela Stansfield

Non Active Member
Stray dog
If he isnt neutered you can always have a word with Ali Darmus to see if he will arrange collection to take him to the shelter and at least he wil have regular meals to build him up and be neutered.
Not sure if AD will be able to arrange collection as any surgery he does at the shelter is on a voluntary basis at present,but at least he is the only vet in Didim who is trying to do something to help the street dogs.
None of the others seem interested unless theres payment involved

Carol, what exactly is AD doing for the street animals apart from neutering at the Shelter? I am just wondering, because I have taken many street animals to him and he has charged me for their treatment. I have even taken street animals to his surgery for neutering and there is a charge for this because it is at his surgery and not at the Shelter where he has the use of the Shelter facilities and medicines.

You are very wrong about other vets because Ozgur Basir (opposite Tansas) is looking after and feeding many street cats. Also Halil usually has a surgery full of street cats and dogs, kittens and puppies that he cares for 'for free' whilst trying to find homes for them.

Last edited:

Angela Stansfield

Non Active Member
Stray dog
I just wanted to say that we have the most handsome stray dog on our site at the moment. He is definitely a Kangal cross with pale fur and that dark face. Sadly he is very emaciated. We fed him tonight as we feel so sorry for him. We can't take him on unfortunately as we have a male dog already and it wouldn't work! If he'd been a girl dog though we would have taken her on. Me and my husband (as per usual) were in tears tonight. Thought I'd share our angst!

Hi, yes its very sad to see so many animals here starving without a home. I was just thinking though, if you had this chap neutered, and your own dog is neutered, then I dont think they would have a problem getting on together. I know lots of people with 2 male dogs that get along fine.

I already have 2 dogs and feeding about 30 cats, so cant help on this one.

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
Stray dog
Everyone automatically thinks that a dog is starving if it is emaciated. Sadly the case is often that they have caught Leishmaniasis which is spread by sand fly bites. The parasite invades the dog’s cells, spreads into the internal organs and begins to damage the immune system. Unfortunately, over time, they get very skinny and many organs become damaged leading to anaemia, arthritis in many joints, plus eye and kidney disease. There is no cure.

A tick bourne disease called Ehrlichiosis also causes the dog to get very thin and like Leishmaniasis causes anaemia, immunosuppression and compromises the blood's clotting ability. The symptoms are inflamed kidneys and arthritis and severe nose bleeds. Unless you catch this disease early, it is also a death sentence.

These diseases are seen in the Didim area and we have euthanised several dogs whose blood tests have proved positive.

jakebeak

Stray dog
Hi there everyone and thanks for your replies. Valian, I'm aware it could be a number of things making this dog thin, but he's also incredibly hungry!

I know you can't rescue them all, but when they're on your doorstep it's very painful to see. He also reminds us of Şakir, who we lost quite recently.

carolk

R.I.P
Stray dog
Carol, what exactly is AD doing for the street animals apart from neutering at the Shelter? I am just wondering, because I have taken many street animals to him and he has charged me for their treatment. I have even taken street animals to his surgery for neutering and there is a charge for this because it is at his surgery and not at the Shelter where he has the use of the Shelter facilities and medecines.

You are very wrong about other vets because Ozgur Basir (opposite Tansas) is looking after and feeding many street cats. Also Halil usually has a surgery full of street cats and dogs, kittens and puppies that he cares for 'for free' whilst trying to find homes for them.

Correct!!

Lyndsey

Kalın deriliyimdir
Stray dog
Carol, Halil is our vet and Ang is right that he always has dogs/puppies & cats/kittens that he has taken in for various reasons to find new homes. He treats them for free too.

Stray dog
Hello

Have just found yor message re the Kangal dog, what are the prices per dog and cat to vaccinate these animals and also neutering and casrating costs for each animal, if you can give me prices of per animal and multipal animals I will try to bring funds from U.K. if we can even do a few it is a start we have a house in Gumusluk and have already on out own tried to WITH one happy neuted male cat called Squeek and many other kittens needing help we have limited funds but I will do whatever I can to help the kittens.

Please reply I know they need our help

Stray dog
Carol, Halil is our vet and Ang is right that he always has dogs/puppies & cats/kittens that he has taken in for various reasons to find new homes. He treats them for free too.

Is this the vet near the top roundabout on Ataturk Boulevard who sells puppies-both pedigree and cross-bred and kittens?
Havent seen the street dogs and cats he treats and rehomes for free,but have been offered puppies to buy for 300 lira by this vet.I stand corrected if he keeps the puppies/kittens in a seperate area to treat,vaccinate and rehome.

I understand that Yaser of Aybek vets has now said he will neuter a street dog free of charge on a regular basis,and maybe he will give this generous service to Akbuk street dogs as they have no facilities there.

carolk

R.I.P
Stray dog
Yes Carol, you have to be corrected - sorry. I have taken many street animals to Halil and he re-homes them, litters of kittens and street dogs which Halil feeds until they are homed for free. He will treat a street animal for free to. Selling pedigrees is an entirely different matter. Many people sell pedigree dogs so why not him? Believe me he does his bit and gets no praise for it!!!!

What wasn't mentioned about Osgur Bashir across from Tansas is that the many, many cats he feeds, he also neuters and gives them all their injections for free, go have a look at his surgery and see how many he and his mother look after!

I can understand all the praise Ali gets as the Belediye vet and he is very good but, many do things that go relatively unknown and people seem to just assume they are doing nothing when nothing could further from the truth. Ali has acquired excellent equipment through his good name and work but I would have to say he does nothing for nothing, neutering of street animals does not come out of his pocket as he has access to the Belediye facilities. If I hear one more time that he is now working for free I think I will scream!!! He is expecting to be paid when the have some money.

Yaser is a new vet here and he offered to do one neutering a month free, I am assuming that will be here or Akbuk.

jakebeak

Stray dog
Hi there, I just thought I'd update you all with some news of the stray Kangal type dog I was telling you about. One of our neighbours on the site has taken him on! We spotted him on their balcony this morning. It's nice to be able to say one stray has had a happy ending.

Top Bottom