Summertime

Golden Girls
Stopped smoking
Since I stopped smoking last April I have put on 10 kg, Does anybody have an advice, may be better to smoke, :hmm:

EVELYNNE

evelynne
Stopped smoking
SAme with me put on at least 30 lbs and although i rarely crave a ciggie these days I despair at ever losing the weight. Ok i like a treat but i don;t eat unhealthily , no fried food , no take outs , but it don;t want to shift. And another thing every day i look in the mirror im looking more and more like my mother !!

Help !!

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Stopped smoking
Hi... I stopped 2 weeks ago today... I've done it as a personal commitment toward the Pebble fund... as anyone who has read the posts in the fund thread knows, the price of a pack multiplied by the packs smoked in a week puts quite a sum in the pot.
I've needed to put a few pounds on as Peb will agree, i started smoking again last summer before which I'd lost about 2 stone, ( 28Lbs, 12.7 kg )... since i started again i continued to loose weight... nothing to do with smoking or not...and i wasn't dieting..! I digress.
Since i quit 2 weeks ago and yep, I'm still on the wagon, but it's certainly boosting the fund.. and it needs it.. I digress again, sorry.
since i quit I've not put any on or lost it... so i don't know what the answer is... but if you're quitting or thinking of quitting how about joining my club..?
I seem to be the only one in it...! :77wu:, as no one else has offered to join me..:3:

carolk

R.I.P
Stopped smoking
Well done Ase, you don't need to worry about your weight as you are such a tiny little, slim person!!! I admire you, stay strong!! x x

Last edited:

Summertime

Golden Girls
Stopped smoking
Well done Ase, you don't need to worry about you weight as you are such a tiny little, slim person!!! I admire you, stay strong!! x x

He-He Carol, thanks a lot, but I am not slim anymore. And I am longing for smoking every day :-((

pldouglas

Stopped smoking
I think exercise is the answer because smoking increases the metabolic rate, so if you stop smoking the metabolic rate goes down, hence the need to exercise more.

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Stopped smoking
I eat like a horse, 3 meals a day, have done for ages... 6 weetabix and a banana for breakfast, a big sandwich box for lunch while at work, ans 2 more banana's, a big dinner when i get home, i walk 4 miles to and from work every day as well as being on my feet all day at work... i hardly drink booze anymore and I've now quit smoking.

I'm 12 stone 6 and not felt so fit as i was 25 years ago wearing camouflage.... so I'd say yes... exercise is the answer but stopping smoking hasn't altered my metabolism...it's the exercise that burns it off, or am i weird or just a fine physical specimen..? My mum always told me i was unique...

Last edited:
Stopped smoking
not long ago there was some "more" reaserch published which claimed that exercise is good for your health, but only cutting down on calories mainly in fatty/sweet food makes you loose weight!! you can eat lots if it is the right type of food eg. lean meat, fruit & veg, trouble is most of us love the taste of food with fat & sugar ( how is it spelt?) added.

tinkyman

Stopped smoking
its not rocket science. calories in need to be less than calories out.
a previous poster is correct that giving up smoking does reduce metabolism but exercise does not have to be extreme. a decent walk on a regular basis will do it or light jogging if you do not have time. these are all free. dont join a gym unless you are adamant you are going to use the facilities. decent exercise can produce similar endorphins to those experienced from smoking which is why people get hooked on exercise.
It is worth trying as i can gaurantee in a few months you will feel better than you ever did

Pete&Mag

Stopped smoking
He-He Carol, thanks a lot, but I am not slim anymore. And I am longing for smoking every day :-((

Hi Summertime. well done for stopping. Ive never smoked, so I'm not coming at this from any personal experience. Maybe the best thing to do is beat the craving for cigs first,then deal with the weight problem later. I thought there were electronic cigs ,which you could use whenever you needed a shot of nicotine. Presumably you gradually lower the dose over time. The time to exercise to drop weight is when you are hungry.That way your body has no choice but to burn reserves of fat. Good luck . Pete

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
Stopped smoking
I quit smoking a couple of years ago for 8 weeks, put on 8lb. Now for me that is a big deal cos i'm fat enough. Started smoking again after the 8 weeks and lost the 8lb.
Joined weight watchers last week, i am now going for an hours walk every night {not Sat.} and i am also going to my daughters garage to go on her fan dabi dosi treadmill and doing 20 mins weight loss programme, i'll do more time on it gradually. I'll keep you posted on the weight loss , my next weigh-in is wednesday.
If i can get some weight off i might join your club Allan.

Good luck everyone,

Jeannie

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Stopped smoking
Hello Ase.l wouldn’t worry much about the weight you have put on,because this is just a temporary change to the body while your giving up.

Giving up is not easy,so you must have a change in thinking to help you give up.First you must convince yourself that giving up the weed will contribute to your well being and also will benefit you financially .

Write out a program out as the reasons why you want to quit,including all the benefits in sections.As you go along in everyday living.Write down how much you have saved that day and also how you are feeling.Look at the programme in several months time and you will be amazed of what has been written down while you went through the giving up process.

Plan your daily life with activities.You might want to go somewhere where it is not permitted to smoke,such as library's .Exercise everyday,like swimming and cycling and walking the dog.

Analyze your smoking habits to figure out when and why you smoke.As you go through the withdrawal symptoms of experiencing those horrible feelings,maybe the doctor can prescribe some sort of tablets for you to ease these symptoms.There are things that can help on the road to giving up.

Eat low calorie foods,drink plenty of water,munch on raw vegetables like a carrot and celery.And as you exercise this will produce extra serotonin's that relaxes the mind to offset attacks of jittery nerves.

Remember the first three months are the worse,so never let your mind play tricks on you,when being tempted to smoke,because of a negative thought tells you to get through the day just by having one cigarette.Always fight against the bad reasoning that can make you waiver.
Resist the temptations of wavering,because if you give up the fight now and sucked on a fag.That will have undone all the hard work you went through.But if you do relapse and went back to the fag.Then think of it as a learning process and start again in quitting.Never look at it as a failure,if you do,you will make things harder on yourself to quit.

Having a different way of thinking will defeat the enemy that robs one of their life.

pldouglas

Stopped smoking
Summertime you are not alone in going through the mill when it comes to quitting smoking - I'm going through it too and I could murder about 40 today, one after the other and preferably washed down with several pints of real ale, which I also no longer enjoy without the fag - one kinda goes with the other. HOWEVER, just think how sick you would actually feel if you had one, how your head would spin, think how much it would stink the place out, remember how much it cost and frankly, just think how awful it actually looks these days especially if, like me, you are a middle aged woman (sorry if you are not) but really it does look a bit cheap these days to be seen smoking!
God I sound like Mother!

Stopped smoking
It is amazing the number of people I have heard about who smoke just to keep their weight down.
Apparently thats why so many models smoke so they dont get hungry!!

Suppressing the natural hunger of the body through an addiction seems totally barmy to me when smoking is going to affect the models skin,hair teeth etc etc.
Its like sniffing cocaine to stay awake longer!!

Jeannie,s comment prompted this post really.
Surely you give up the smoking, improve your lungs and general body wellbeing first,THEN tackle the weight issue.
Isnt the fact that after stopping smoking,your body probably feels better and gives you more of an appetite hence the weight!!
Smoking all those carcinogenic addictive chemicals just to keep the weight off seems sad to me.
Not being critical Jeannie,just a comment.
I thought "Blimey thats terrible" and posted here but I dont think any non smoker will ever understand the logic of your decision in connection with your health.

I really wish you well anyway Jeannie.

Stella
I tried a fag when I was a kid and got dizzy and very sick so I thought "Sod that!!"
Does that mean like you suggest in that they do make you feel sick and dizzy at first or after a long break without one.
Following on from that why do people still persevere in their teens with something that initially made them feel sick and dizzy??? Duuuggghhh
Just curious!
Your other comment re "looking cheap" is a brave one to make because as a non smoker I have always prejudged like that upon seeing any middle aged woman smoking in public!!
I try not to do that and feel ashamed sometimes but its a normal reaction from a non smoking family.
I see career women walking around dressed smartly, but as soon as the fags come out, this "Looking cheap" attitude wafts over me.

I know I will get some flack which is justified but I am just relating my experiences and many other non smokers have this prejudice against female smokers. I am really sorry but Stella,s (Pldouglas) comment got me thinking!!

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom