juco

Stock up for civil defence.
For the first time since the Cold War the German government is advising citizens to stockpile food and water for use in a national emergency.

Some opposition MPs said the new civil defence concept, to go before ministers on Wednesday, was scaremongering.

Citizens are advised to store enough food to last them 10 days, because initially a disaster might put national emergency services beyond reach.

Five days' water - two litres (half a gallon) per person daily - is advised.

The German news website Frankfurter Allgemeine (FAZ) said the new concept was set out in a 69-page German Interior Ministry document.

The document said "an attack on German territory, requiring conventional defence of the nation, is unlikely". But, it said, a major security threat to the nation in future could not be ruled out, so civil defence measures were necessary.

Germans told to stockpile food and water for civil defence - BBC News

And I would add a firearm and plenty of ammo!

Jaycey

African Refugee
An interesting post – especially as Ukraine has received no similar warning.

But they say “an attack on German territory is unlikely” rather than impossible - do they know something that we don’t?

Surely the crazed dwarf is not going to claim that East Berlin is historically Russian? :) Or perhaps that Russian speakers in Germany need his protection? :)

And as Russia considers the improvement of the self defence capability of any nation to be an aggressive act can we expect words of outrage?

It’s just been announced that Russia has withdrawn all airpower from Syria – where are they going next I wonder - it seems there’s something is in the wind.

We live in interesting times.

Kanga

Let's hope for everyone's sake that they aren't going to redirect the airpower towards Ukraine. President Pustule is a nuisance but unfortunately he has the ability and the desire to stir things internationally.
Living out where we do I always keep a good stock of tinned and dry goods, 'just in case'. We also have alternatives for cooking and light etc as we get power cuts sometimes, though not as often now. My parents were once cut off here for 6 weeks in the '80's with deep snow and the only way to get supplies in was to bring them round by boat to the nearest beaches.
Global warming seems to have put paid to that now!

Spurs

Spurs
Judging by how lock downs & emergency measures seem to be the order of the day in towns/cities AND that Germany has now become a serious target for radicals ect, it seems a case of, "well we did warn you". They know where Russia is but they seem to have no idea who or what these radicals are capable of..........unfortunately IMO its a case of watch this space.
Noted in Markel's speech yesterday she talked of security forces inside the EU & beyond, read into that what you like. EU member states have individual armies but seem to be useless over terrorist strikes, everyone is in the sit & wait mode.

Last edited:

Akasya

Postless Pointer
I suggest stocks to hand of nylons , lipstick , chocolate , cigarettes and coffee.

It was very popular last time.

Steve

juco

Germany may reintroduce a form of national service for civilians to help the army deal with a future disaster.

The role of civilians is part of a new civil defence strategy to be discussed by the government on Wednesday.

Since the strategy was leaked to the media there has been intense debate about stockpiling food and water.

In a crisis civilians might be obliged to help direct traffic or provide fuel and accommodation for the military, German news agency DPA reported.

Great! Merkel causes the flippin problem and then conscripts others to solve it.

Spurs

Spurs
Great! Merkel causes the flippin problem and then conscripts others to solve it.

Not too sure about Germany, its France that's overstretched military wise.
ME self interests, Africa self interests & troops on the streets of France itself.
I hope when they start calling up troops from various countries in the EU that their Parliments start asking the question of, "what are we doing there"?
Will be interesting to see how Junckers own country (Luxembourg) contributes or will some countries sign up financially only?
Cameron did say he would be having none of it but then again Cameron said a lot of things................

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Looks like more lentil soup and home made bread then. I wonder if I can get a rebate on my car insurance/tax?

Jaycey

African Refugee

Call me anti Putin if you will but surely he is the one causing the problems and conscripting others to pursue his imperial dreams.

Spurs

Spurs
I had two family members & three or four friends join up in the 60s & 70s, they went into various braches of the Armed Forces. I wonder if they would be so inclined this day & age?

eliza

This whole EU Army thing is an excellent reason for Brexit ...... before Brexit it was claimed there was no such thing planned - one more untruth from the Remain side. I lost all trust in Cameron towards the end, after admiring hiim for several years. It was all disgraceful.

juco

Call me anti Putin if you will but surely he is the one causing the problems and conscripting others to pursue his imperial dreams
My impression is that Germanies planned conscription is for internal use to combat civil unrests.

Jaycey

African Refugee
I had two family members & three or four friends join up in the 60s & 70s, they went into various braches of the Armed Forces. I wonder if they would be so inclined this day & age?

I fancy they might be a tad too old to join up now :) but strange that Olympic national pride goes out the window when it comes to fisticuffs

Do you think young Brits would stand up for their country if it was under threat?

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
I fancy they might be a tad too old to join up now :) but strange that Olympic national pride goes out the window when it comes to fisticuffs

Do you think young Brits would stand up for their country if it was under threat?

Quite likely, after all, we are allegedly the country who has taken part in/ caused more wars than any other country, win or lose. Brits get on with it, little macho chest beating or firing an AK47 wildly into the sky and pretending to be hard whilst shouting allahu akbar unlike a lot of other countries......:baby:

Jaycey

African Refugee
This whole EU Army thing is an excellent reason for Brexit ...... before Brexit it was claimed there was no such thing planned - one more untruth from the Remain side. I lost all trust in Cameron towards the end, after admiring him for several years. It was all disgraceful.

I’ll probably get sh@t on from a great height for saying this but why is everyone so opposed to the idea of an EU army? Does the UK really want to go it alone yet AGAIN? A large single army would be much cheaper to maintain than 28 small ones.

Surely it’s better to have one coordinated army than 28 armies all shooting in different directions & with no compatibility between weapons & command systems?

OK so Brits wouldn’t be in command but no language problems as only the commanders would need to speak English.

Just asking :)

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
I’ll probably get sh@t on from a great height for saying this but why is everyone so opposed to the idea of an EU army? Does the UK really want to go it alone yet AGAIN? A large single army would be much cheaper to maintain than 28 small ones.

Surely it’s better to have one coordinated army than 28 armies all shooting in different directions & with no compatibility between weapons & command systems?

OK so Brits wouldn’t be in command but no language problems as only the commanders would need to speak English.

Wouldn`t want the Italians or French at our backs......

Leo

Judging by how lock downs & emergency measures seem to be the order of the day in towns/cities AND that Germany has now become a serious target for radicals ect, it seems a case of, "well we did warn you". They know where Russia is but they seem to have no idea who or what these radicals are capable of..........unfortunately IMO its a case of watch this space.
Noted in Markel's speech yesterday she talked of security forces inside the EU & beyond, read into that what you like. EU member states have individual armies but seem to be useless over terrorist strikes, everyone is in the sit & wait mode.

Feeling sure you might have meant Angela Merkel (rather than Markel) - just sayin.... As I recall you appointed yourself the head of the spelling police in response to my recent post !

Spurs

Spurs

Could be because the EU tends to make a crisis, then fails to deal with it. Swiftly followed by the struggle to agree on just about anything & everything, then of course how & who will finance it?
Good though for any EU arms producers............job creation I suppose.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom