Statue on Hill in Kusadasi
Hi,
Can anyone tell me about the statue on the hill in Kusadasi near Pigeon Island.
It looks like a bird holding a glass of raki.

Regards,

Bryan

madturkishcow

LİVİNG İN PARADİSE
If I've told you once Bryan, I've told you a dozen times! :kafa:
It's a Harpie! and she is not holding a glass of raki but a glass of Carling :lol:
actually it is more likely to be ATATURK holding a glass of Raki....

mkc

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
:der: What's a Harpie ?
Yes, seems Atatürk was rather fun of Raki, but I don't think any Turk would dare picture him like that !

madturkishcow

LİVİNG İN PARADİSE
Hi Sparrow :lol:

A Harpie or Harpy is a monster with the body of a woman and the wings and claws of a bird. Ringing any bells yet? The tomb of the Harpies, which we very thoughtfully pillaged from Xanthos and now rest in the British Museum has these weird,strange creatures adorning the sides.
Before we get into any discussions about whenever we should return the tomb, along with various other artifacts that we accquired during the years of the 'British Empire' when half the world was pink :lol: Think about what we would go to look at in the 'British Museum' should we return all our exhibits which were accquired using underhand methods.
I know I found the 'Elgin Marbles' dissapointing....I was young and expected to find well, brightly coloured marbles :der: But on a serious note I am sure that if half the exhibits were returned to their rightful owners we wouldn't have much of a museum left :kafa:
As I constantly tell the guide at Xanthos, when he asks if he can have his tomb back (and I admit that it would look perfect set in its orignal place ) 'No and the Greeks are not getting their Marbles either'!
Turkey has improved enourmously over the years in respect to the way they now look after their antiquities and excavate further ruins and I suppose that the old argument of not returning each countries artifacts based upon the very snobbish attitude of 'They wouldn't know how to look after them properly' really is no longer a valid argument against not giving them back.

Whilst I love the British Museum I really do appreciate the way I can stroll around Xanthos,Efes,Tlos and all those other places seeing,touching and sensing history. Turkiye is for me living history especially where you find people habitating within or near the sites, whose footsteps,voices and life style echo those of thier forefathers and those gone long before them perhaps at the hands of Lycians or Alexander the Great. Allahs wonderful country is truly wonderful.

mkc

madturkishcow

LİVİNG İN PARADİSE
Ooops Sparrow!

I don't know about Turks seeing Ataturk in the 'Light' as I prefer to call it, but I do know that a lot of young people here do not think much of their wonderful esteemed father.

As someone who has read a lot about Kemal I was surprized to find this attitude among the younger folk, but when asked why they feel this way their reasons are logical, sensible and realistic.

Tonight I was at the home of a Turkish friend whose young daughter wanted help with her english. In the front of every one of her school books was a picture of Kemal Ataturk. :w00t: One word came into my head and that was 'Brainwashed'.

I have no wish to offend any of our Turkish members. I personally think Ataturk was a remarkable man and definately before his time, but it is not my opinon that matters here it is what the young Turks feel,want,expect and hope. They are the future of Turkey, the ones that one day may take this country into the EEC, not the die hard kemalists.

MKC

Saoirse

Would have to totally disagree there. Theres no reason why Turkey cant move forward towards more Euro involvement and yet keep its respect and admiration for their remarkable modern founder. With all due respect, here in Ireland we find it somewhat "quaintly bizarre" that many British have the unhealthy fascination with your out moded irrelavant royal family, yet your country is modern and forward looking.

This still dont answer my question!
Next time someone is there could you scramble up to this statue and have a good look at it and tell me what it says! She looks OK to me I mean surely I would know if she was half Vulture and Half Female! Come to think of it arnt all women like that!

Yours awaiting nice comments from females,

Bryan

parrot

saoirse said:
Would have to totally disagree there. Theres no reason why Turkey cant move forward towards more Euro involvement and yet keep its respect and admiration for their remarkable modern founder. With all due respect, here in Ireland we find it somewhat "quaintly bizarre" that many British have the unhealthy fascination with your out moded irrelavant royal family, yet your country is modern and forward looking.
Irrelavant maybe,but very much respected,around the world.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom