hayabusa

Start of Ramadan.
It’s most likely that Islamic month of fasting (also known as Lent), will start from Wednesday, 14th April. As most people will know that, the fasting starts before dawn and ends after sunset each day. No food (solids or Liquids) are allowed to be consumed in between these times of fasting. Starting date is not confirmed, as this depends on the sighting of the NEW Moon. Countries who cannot see the Moon due to the weather will follow after the sighting of the Moon from the nearest Muslim country.

Fasting is one of 5 pillars of Islam and all Muslims will follow this. People exempt from the fasting will be people who are ill, small children under 7 years of age and expectant mothers. Any adult who is not mentally stable is also exempt from this. This is a lesson for people to self dispilene and any savings are given to charity and the poor.

Muslims strongly believe that, life in this world is temporary, and life after death is much better In a place called Jannah. Respecting all the 5 pillars of Islam every year will help to much better and prosperous life after death In Jannah. All good Muslims aim for this life in Jannah.

All non-Mulsims in Muslim countries are requested not to eat or drink in open, to respect the Islamic religion and also the people who are fasting.

Mushroom

Start of Ramadan.
I don't know how we managed it but we always ended up in Turkey for a holiday during Ramadan.
My Turkish electrician friend was strict and as a heavy smoker he had to wait until dusk for his gasper which to him was missed more than food or drink.
We were once walking past his home and he was waiting for the distress flare sent from the nearby mosque to go off to signify the end of fasting for that day.
He was sat on his terrace with wife and kids, plates at the ready when the flare went off. The sight of his wife serving up the food while a fog of cig smoke emerged around him was something I can never forget. As soon as he saw us, we were immediately invited to a soft drink and food. We took up the drink then thought it appropriate for the food to be theirs. I do miss that bloke.
On the occasions that we were eating or drinking in town, we had no hardship in waiting a few minutes before partaking until the flare went off.
It forged a big appreciation from the locals but to us it was our way to show an understanding and respect for the ways of other people and their religion.
Happy days.

hayabusa

Start of Ramadan.
Just a thought; do we in the Christian countries ask non-Christians to respect Lent?
Kanga, you don’t ask non-Christians to respect lent, but most non-Christians do. It’s worth noting that Lent is much simpler and easier than Ramadan and in Muslim Country the % of Muslims are much higher over I would estimate 80% of population. So observing ramadan is much more than a Christian country.

Camden

Start of Ramadan.
It is necessary to distinguish between religious doctrine and religious practice. Religious doctrine is generally tolerant. Religious practice under the influence of external factors can be intolerant.

hayabusa

Start of Ramadan.
It is necessary to distinguish between religious doctrine and religious practice. Religious doctrine is generally tolerant. Religious practice under the influence of external factors can be intolerant.
Totally agree and it’s the external factors causing issues in the world. We should respect all religions where ever you are.....

Kanga

Start of Ramadan.
Kanga, you don’t ask non-Christians to respect lent, but most non-Christians do. It’s worth noting that Lent is much simpler and easier than Ramadan and in Muslim Country the % of Muslims are much higher over I would estimate 80% of population. So observing ramadan is much more than a Christian country.
Respect does not mean to practise, it means to acknowledge it exists, which helps tolerance and understanding of other religions. British education must include teaching about all the major religions of the world but I 'm not sure whether Turkish children are taught about other religions in school.

Camden

Start of Ramadan.
Respect does not mean to practise, it means to acknowledge it exists, which helps tolerance and understanding of other religions. British education must include teaching about all the major religions of the world but I 'm not sure whether Turkish children are taught about other religions in school.

Isn't that just a comparison of Govts religious policies/laws ? One Govt, authoritarian influencing the curriculum, into not promoting the acknowledgement of others ? , and the other open democracy which does ?

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom