Question for you

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Spot the thread(s) relating to Turkish Living
As the title suggests......the forum we love is called Turkish Living.

I logged on this afternoon and looked at New Posts.....screenshot below.
This happens most days.

Could members please try to post more threads relevant to Turkish Living.
I'm sure new members, and we have a number of them, would be more likely to participate if more posts related to Turkish Living.

Screenshot_20210618-163230.jpg

Camden

It's difficult, as Turkey is in relative lockdown, with many Turcophile's not able to visit their holiday homes or friends, so unable to contribute on "Turkish Living" and as seen, the expats if you collate, many are reticent posters .... especially as with everyday Turkish politics ,economics and news is a relative "no no" to discuss in any depth .. so limits posting .

Also as seen with your recent Turkish interest posts people don't engage much , I have posted myself on Turkish subjects but had no real engagement ... as seen I try most times, to help posters when Turkish questions arise , can do no more , but once answered and contribution given they disappear with little or no repeat posting ...

Unfortunately, but true, you wouldn't have a Turkish living forum without outside interests being posted and included, as not enough traffic from those wanting more Turkish living content .... and with other media routes and platforms available .

better to promote to get more new members overall , whatever the interest, or get the new "Turkish Living" new members posters not just asking questions, but also engaging with repeat posts, on their experiences...

Last edited:

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
It's difficult, as Turkey is in relative lockdown, with many Turcophile's not able to visit their holiday homes or friends so unable to contribute on "Turkish Living" and as seen, the expats if you collate, many are reticent posters .... especially as with everyday Turkish politics ,economics and news is a relative "no no" to discuss in any depth .. so limits in posting .

Also as seen with your recent Turkish interest posts people don't engage much , I have posted myself on Turkish subjects but had no real engagement ... as seen I try most times, to help posters when Turkish questions arise , can do no more , but once answered the contribution disappears with little posting ...

Unfortunately but true, you wouldn't have a Turkish living forum without outside interests being posted and included, as not enough traffic from those wanting more Turkish living content .... and with other media routes and platforms available .

better to promote to get more new members overall , whatever the interest and to get new members "Turkish living" posters not just asking questions, but also engaging with repeat posts, on their experiences...

better to promote to get more new members overall

In the last 30 days we have had just over 50 new members.

I've been posting at least one Turkey/Turkish related post over the last week.
If they gain traction or not I won't know until after I post them, but it won't stop me from posting them. :)

Camden

better to promote to get more new members overall

In the last 30 days we have had just over 50 new members.

I've been posting at least one Turkey/Turkish related post over the last week.
If they gain traction or not I won't know until after I post them, but it won't stop me from posting them. :)

It wasn't meant as a criticism but reality ... good on you for trying I say, but not to the detriment of other interests posters I hope ...

How many of the 50 new members actually posted ? Maybe ask them why ? by a poll in their inbox ? I was once a lurker like them watching and reading from the outside but not contributing ( I know many may wish I had stayed that way ha ha )

I think you will find its not the life blood "outside interests" being posted the reason they don't post ... as they could easily ignore .. and contribute, then their posts would prevail but as seen not the case...

Last edited:

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
A poll to the inbox....not a bad idea, will take a look and see what's available through the bulk mailing of the forum.

You being a lurker.......I'm not sure any longstanding member believes that :censored:

Jaycey

African Refugee
IMO we should ban any new aspirants unless they live in Turkey and tell them to only post on non-political aspects. It would be fascinating to hear tell of the weather in different parts of Turkey and what everyone one had for supper (as long as it was Turkish food of course).

But Derek would need to start his jokes differently … “There were two Turkish blondes” .. errr, maybe not - but maybe, just maybe, Chips would be muted somewhat.

And when all that has been done we can apply for the title of the most boring forum on the I’net.

Camden

A poll to the inbox....not a bad idea, will take a look and see what's available through the bulk mailing of the forum.

You being a lurker.......I'm not sure any longstanding member believes that :censored:

As long as the poll questions aren't loaded and leading ..you brexiteers have a history ha ha....

mollag

Kipper restorer
As an old China hand on here I also have noticed a reluctance to comment where it can be seen as negative, the present political climate in Turkey does not like criticism, so when you cannot say something nice, say nothing may well be part of this problem.

enoch

As an old China hand on here I also have noticed a reluctance to comment where it can be seen as negative, the present political climate in Turkey does not like criticism, so when you cannot say something nice, say nothing may well be part of this problem.
So long as you report what is out in the media there shouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't go past that.

Andybutt

IMO we should ban any new aspirants unless they live in Turkey and tell them to only post on non-political aspects. It would be fascinating to hear tell of the weather in different parts of Turkey and what everyone one had for supper (as long as it was Turkish food of course).

But Derek would need to start his jokes differently … “There were two Turkish blondes” .. errr, maybe not - but maybe, just maybe, Chips would be muted somewhat.

And when all that has been done we can apply for the title of the most boring forum on the I’net.
no Ukraine and Russia posts :)

ScoobyZ

I spot 2 Turkey related.

Gumusluk and Holiday Plans (Turkey Mentioned)

Followed by:

Politics 7
Jokes 2
Football 2
Films 1
News (Biscuits)

Jaycey

African Refugee
I would suggest that interest in Gumusluk & Holiday Plans are of limited interest to the majority of members and as for the others…

Politics: We have been rightly warned that discussion of Turkish politics should be avoided.

Jokes: IMO Turkish jokes translated into English lose their flavour.

Football: Turkish football may be of interest to some but most have greater interest in their home teams.

Films: Doubtless there are many good films produced in Turkey but for me they lack the appeal of British & American ones.

News (Biscuits): When a British factory is closed and manufacturing moved to Turkey then surely there is a Turkish connection.

Seems then that opportunities for Turkey related topics are limited. Having said that I am always interested to follow the personal experiences of expats living in Turkey (& of those living in UK, USA, Spain, Bulgaria, Latvia, Russia etc..).

IMHO opinion TLF is much bigger than just Turkey and should remain so.

TLF ain't broke so why fix it?

BTW seems that the members search function is no more - it would have been interesting to see which members have started Turkish related threads.

Last edited:

ScoobyZ

I would suggest that interest in Gumusluk & Holiday Plans are of limited interest to the majority of members and as for the others…

That's why it is in the Gumusluk forum. I think that's part of the problem people look at new post.

shash

shash
I'll be honest here even though I'm sure no one will give a hoot .
I dont like the new lay out. I only use my smart phone and maybe it makes a difference.
I preferred the layout as it was because I didn't have to hunt for new posts.

And it's all been pretty boring lately.

Where is everyone? Are we all mostly not in Turkey?
I still see a lot going on in Turkey on Facebook so why not here.

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
I'll be honest here even though I'm sure no one will give a hoot .
I dont like the new lay out. I only use my smart phone and maybe it makes a difference.
I preferred the layout as it was because I didn't have to hunt for new posts.

And it's all been pretty boring lately.

Where is everyone? Are we all mostly not in Turkey?
I still see a lot going on in Turkey on Facebook so why not here.

The 'New Posts' link gives you just posts that are/have new posts.
Or are you searching some other way?

On Facebook (I don't use it) what type of posts are you seeing regarding a lot going on in Turkey?
Maybe those topics could also be posted here?

We are trying to encourage more Turkey/Turkish related threads to get member participation on topics that are something other than threads that are not Turkey/Turkish related.

And we're open to suggestions on how to achieve that.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom