kaplumba

Spelling and Dyslexia
I don't think I have ever disagreed with a moderator, I wouldn't like their job. However the recent thread about spelling was closed, reason being it was going downhill. This was posted shortly after my remark. I thought I was being helpful and I don't think it was any way disrespectful or mundane in fact I see there are a couple of thanks. I was answering a remark where someone asked how it felt if it was your kid being put down due to inability to spell and as I have experienced that I thought it would be interesting for someone to see how I overcame it. Oh well - you can't do right for doing wrong sometimes!!

Last edited by a moderator:

parrot

Spelling and Dyslexia
Re: closure

There have been many debates about various subjects from race,murder,genocide,dogs,cats and even censorship,too many to mention all but a serious subject about spelling is closed for going downhill after 11 posts.A bit previous me thinks.

Spelling and Dyslexia

Jane the post you made was super....spelling in english isnt easy..and in fact it must be getting harder in these days of textspeak and the way tv, papers etc contort words.
İ think the thread was closed too early and the spat that was gong on could easily have been controlled.

kaplumba

Spelling and Dyslexia

I'm glad it wasn't just me who thought that but never mind it's a minor problem compared to other things that are going on. I really shouldn't be hanging around here today, so many more things to do lol.

Martyn

Spelling and Dyslexia

Jane there was no problem with your post at all but where was the thread going to lead? Just conflict over interpretation. If you all think it should be re-opened I will open it again but I cannot see any mileage in doing that. By all means open a discussion on dyslexia but in this thread p-t-p and hjo were going to snipe at each other for eternity i think :lol:

kaplumba

Spelling and Dyslexia

Oh it doesn't matter Martyn, leave it now. Perhaps I'm a bit touchy today - you know - womens stuff lol. I tend to keep away from controversial stuff these days so am not sure why I posted at all. I just always feel so sorry for kids with this problem and their parents. Most of them don't know how to get help and there are bound to be a few grandparents on here who worry about their grandchildren. I thought I might be able to offer some advice as so many of these kids are considered a bit thick or that they don't try hard enough. Anyway I'm going to heave myself out of this chair and go swimming.

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Spelling and Dyslexia

Wel I tink ane pots abut spealin shuld b band. Weee ned a spelll cheque oon thiis phorrum. Dats awl I haf 2 sae abuot thu subgect.

Bob

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Spelling and Dyslexia

Well to my mind the English language is really hard , so many ways to spell one word ,
Like = Night or Knight , == Or , oar .W*ore , there .thier , as .has ...my own spelling isn't good as you will have noticed . and sometimes i could say things much better if i could =cud , spell the words i want to say , my spell checker in the posts section dosen't work , or i don't know no how to use it , as for grammer !!! pheww i can only hope you all can forgive me ! ...............Diane

IanJones

Spelling and Dyslexia

Hi Jane

Looks like I missed out on that one Lol......That will teach me not to play here more often.
Hope your well dear. I will be over for May and Mid Aug-Early Oct ( I hope, if I ever go and do any work lol).

Let me know if you are about during my little hols and I will make an effort to come to Dacta to see you.

Try and stay out of trouble to then lol

Ian

kaplumba

Spelling and Dyslexia

Diane no one should ever feel bad about their spelling. It is flipping hard and one of the hardest things to teach kids. My son has such difficulty with English but no trouble with German. Get yourself down here and I'll sort you out lol.

parrot

Spelling and Dyslexia

The other post mentioned dyslexia,when I was at school,yes a long time ago,there was no such thing as dyslexia.Is dyslexia a modern day term used as a cure all.Having failed the eleven plus I would have had a great excuse had dyslexia been invented then.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Spelling and Dyslexia

Thanks jane just might do that , I missed a lot of schooling as a kid , due to ..Rhumatic Fever so missed a class out totally , and went in the big kids class and had to sit next to the headmaster , { i'd been naughty } VERY , then left school at 14 yrs old and i sort of taught myself , i can spell ...Constitution but not ..Q ? que , you know as in when people q at the post office it really annoys me , i'd love to spell inconsquental , but as you see its wrong , ah well as long as folk have an idea of what i mean ........Diane

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Spelling and Dyslexia

I wouldn't worry too much Diane, I never have any problems with your words. In my primary years at school our English teacher was a demon for correct spelling/grammar, I can remember homework from her so vividly, she gave each of us 20 words every evening to learn and the next morning just used to pick on any one of us to spell a particular word in front of the whole class, and woe betide you if it was incorrect, or to write on the blackboard, that word within a sentence, so from a very early age my spelling and grammar became good, I did however, have to work very hard the reason being I did not fancy the punishment that she gave if we got it wrong!

kaplumba

Spelling and Dyslexia

Dyslexia is a specific learning disability and needs to be diagnosed by a psychologist using quite a lot of tests. My son was at the Institute for most of the day. He actually enjoyed all the tests. There were all sorts of things involving memory tests, spatial awareness and a load more. You can't just say you are dyslexic just because you get a few spellings wrong or you hate reading. When I was a kid I don't think this was a word used and I can remember feeling thick because I just couldn't remember spellings. Schools today don't usually use the term preferring Specific Learning Disability. Some say it doesn't exist but I dispute this. Once my son was told he was clever but had these certain problems preventing him being able to spell well he was a different child and so much happier. Not all children who under perform will be dyslexic it has to be diagnosed with these specific tests. Once diagnosed there is quite a bit of help available in state schools and they have a little longer to complete exams. At university they receive extra help. One of my university students was dyslexic but a very clever girl. The help she received allowed her to gain her degree and she thoroughly deserved it. She had all the ideas and thoughts but found it very hard to get them down on paper.
Diane I think you are fairly typical of most kids and adults who have difficulties. The complicated words are easier to remember but it's all the small stuff especially things like they they're their there etc that cause problems. However as you say does it matter that much? You can get your thoughts across perfectly well and you are obviously not stupid.
Some of the world's most successful people have SLD. The people who will dismiss all this as rubbish will generally be those who are lucky and have no problem with it. For those who just can't remember it is madly frustrating.

Last edited:
Spelling and Dyslexia

For people who have difficulty in visualising written words as text and therefore translating it to speech by reading, one would have thought it would have been given a somewhat easier tag to read than dyslexia

kaplumba

Spelling and Dyslexia

Well there we go greensman it's another flipping difficult word in our language it comes from Greek and means difficulty with words. Despite knowing it begins with dys I nearly always start to write is dis.

Firebrand

Spelling and Dyslexia

The son of a friend of mine was diagnosed with dyslexia. When he was tested one of the things that they did was put various coloured overlays over text, and he found that he could read clearly with one particular colour. His mum asked the woman doing the diagnosis to explain what she was doing, my friend looked at the text through the coloured overlay, and for the first time in her life could read clearly. She had gone through school being made to feel thick - she had undiagnosed dyslexia.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom