newhorizon

"Light Years Away"
South Indian Style Potato Curry
Now INDIA is a vast country, with 26 States, many local languages, dialects and with that come different cuisine and spices.

There is no such typical 'curry' as coined and made popular by 'curry' houses in the UK for example like Chicken Tikka Masala for example, which I beileve is the national dish of UK?!

Anyway back to the subject, we are making a south Indian style Potato curry
or ALOO= Potato

This recipe is typical of South India where a lot of vegetarian dishes are supplemented with curry leaves -This key ingredient will add an intense flavour to this curry.

South Indian Potato Curry

You will need:

Potatoes - quartered or cubed (qty= as many as you want I used 800g)
onion -1 whole finely sliced
garlic (fresh) -3-4 cloves dependant on taste
ginger (fresh) -1/4 inch stick grated
whole cumin seeds (1/2 - 1tsp)
turmeric (haldi) - 1/ 2 teaspoon
green chilli (fresh) -(1) fined chopped - de-seeded or if you like it hot -leave a few seeds in!
pinch of chilli powder (optional)
ground cumin powder (3/4 -1 tsp)
coriander powder (1/2 tsp) optional
curry leaves (fresh if available or dry) - a handful
vegetable oil (of your choice) I use olive oil - 1 Tablespoon
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1. Add the oil to pan, when hot, add the whole cumin seeds until they start to 'pop' then reduce the flame a tiny bit if necessary
2. then fry the sliced onion for 5-7 minutes until translucent and starting to brown
3. then add your garlic, ginger, fry for another 1-2 minutes
4. then add the chopped green chilli
5. then add all your powdered spices to pan (tip, add a drop of water and make blend of the spices turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder, pinch of salt, etc before adding to hot pan, this is to prevent the spices burning!) Stir for 30-60 sec
6. then add your cubed potatoes these can be par boiled separately first if required.
7. (optional - can add other vegetables if you have them though with this dish its usually potatoes by itself, could add a bit of cauliflower if needed but no sweet veg. like carrots)
8. Add a few curry leaves
9. add a bit of water so it doesn't stick, cover lid and allow to cook until potatoes tender. Note this is a 'dry' dish so doesn't have a loose gravy but does have a thick masala.
10. Check potatoes are tender and got that slight fluffy look round the sides of a few and the water has dried up. Season with fresh sea salt, freshly cracked pepper and few more curry leaves, leave 5 mins to simmer. By this stage the aroma around your kitchen will be intense! Ready to serve!

There you have it!

South Indian style Aloo! Or South Indian Potato Curry!

Tip: If you do not have fresh garlic or ginger, try and look out for frozen garlic and ginger cubes (with no preservatives eg acetic acid etc as that alters the flavour of the curry amd the will end up tasting like the ready made sauces you get in a jar!) these can be found in large supermarkets that stock multi cusines or in asian shops. Though fresh Garlic and ginger is so readily available nowdays.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Akasya

Postless Pointer
When i cook an Indian dish from scratch i usually include a little asfoetida for flavour and for reducing flatulence.

Steve.

newhorizon

"Light Years Away"
When i cook an Indian dish from scratch i usually include a little asfoetida for flavour and for reducing flatulence.

Steve.

This is an amazing spice it's also an aphrodisiac! (plus diuretic, sedative, and stimulant.)

Personally, though I find the flavour of hing (asfoetida) a bit too strong and pungent, but have used it in sambars and rasams.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asafoetida]Asafoetida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Latest Posts

Top Bottom