Saoirse

Some current prices in Turkey
Hanna ignore Milly Tant! our terminally angry resident fountain of all knowledge

I have reproduced your post in a request thread

Hopefully you will get assistance soon

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Hi everyone, I've not been on this site for a while as due to covid, etc I have not been able to get out to Turkey so stopped reading as it was making me feel jealous of having to stay in Uk. Hopefully, things will improve for everyone this year. I found this thread fascinating as it gives specifics on how inflation is playing out in everyday life and sadly the ex-pat friends I knew in Turkey have sold up and left. Sorry, this is going to be a little long-winded am I am not sure what I am asking as I can decide what to do, I feel polarised.
I have a little house in Gumuslik, never set foot in for the last 3 yrs. I owe my council tax and have finally managed to get reasonable earthquake insurance as my regular office closed. I know one person on my site who speaks English, they offered to get Earthquake insurance for 300YTL which I was going to accept however my house needs painting and a small repair, after telling them this they came back with a price of 1800 TL, so I sent 1800 TL only to be told they had received 1250 TL and what I was told as 1800ytl should have been 18000ytl, I had not understood. After investigation, it seems the Turkish bank charges were stopped hence the difference in what was sent and what was received. I thought that 18000 TL was a little excessive and when I looked at the transfer it was approx £950 GBP. I pondered for a while then looked at the transfer rate which was showing £1359 GBP, I don't know if this is excessive or not. I then went onto the internet to look at earthquake insurance and using the T Gov site bought it for 98TL, I sent them my old policy schedule so they had all the correct information. I know 98 TL or 300TL is not a vast amount of money but this difference is making me wonder if the house painting and repair has also been inflated. I don't want to create a fuss but last time I was there they had to change the electric meters, I spent 5 different days queing trying to pay a bill but to no avail as they could not understand me and did not have a record linked to anything I took eg Tapu, council tax, tax number etc etc. Finally, someone sent me a number, I went to the office to pay. Now during this conversation of the painting they are changing the water meters so I had to send a photo of Tappu and a copy of earthquake insurance and 300tl for registration, it transpires that I have paid someone else electric account and mine is outstanding!! It's all such a mess. So I am in a dilemma I ask myself is it worth it but I love Gumusluk and had some lovely times there, however, I really don't know any ex-pats there now. I wonder if any of you can answer any of these questions please as I don't want to sell if I can eventually get back to my lovely little house. and I feel so guilty thinking am I being ripped off because I am a single female and British or am I being totally stupid, unfair, and lack understanding of the daily costs of inflation. If I am please tell me, don't holdback, I am a tough ex northern lass. The lass is a bit of an exaggeration LOL.

Why did they all sell up was it due to inflation or confusion or Brexit ( but Brexit was never going to affect residency or visa etc)

What's the ave cost of painting a small two-bedroom house which has one double story front side and single story sides and back, preferably in some paint that will last. ( The person who said it was 18000TL now said the price has gone up to 21000TL due to inflation but it has 10 yr guarantee). He also cant paint it all as the shutters are locked but they assure me if I pay they will come back when I am eventually there to finish off. I said what about me paying for a percentage of work and paying rest when they finish....no they said??

I've seen the threads on how to pay council tax online so I will have a go - thank you to all who posted on this

Does anyone know how to identify what my electric meter really is - the number they gave me from the site is wrong but no-one owns up to giving me this - strange

Are there any groups etc I can join when I get there to build up a circle of ex-pat friends or Turkish etc, I love meeting people?

I really don't know if I should fly out myself to try to sort this ( I could paint myself but always try to create work for local people) but what's it like out there re covid, I have been vaccinated and had a booster?

Sorry, I could go on and on with questions and am not sure if I have posted in the right place, am I or should I just post on the Gumusluk forum? I have only ever posted once before ( I was looking for a builder) and only had one reply which basically said I was wasting my time.
I will be truly grateful for any reply or contacts to help me solve my dilemma - maybe I should post on today's sone board...should I stay or should I go.

Thank you for taking the time to read
I would fly out and not send money for the painting, it seems a lot to me. As the saying goes nobody does anything for knowt in turkey a friend is a friend until its money.

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Gas bottle has gone upto 235 tl from 170 tl a month ago

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Just back from Migros....pack of 4 Efes Malt, were 60tl now 75tl.
Looking at the other beers, looks like they have all increased by about 25%.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
I apologise for our Mod who are meant to encourage posts not alienate new members with his perverse sense of humour .. You aren't wasting anybodies time .. continue you will find most members helpful.
11 years a member, hardy new.
. The quote for painting sounds very high, especially as I suspect that quality of paint was never discussed. We had our large villa (2 stories but very high at the back due to slope so scaffolding was needed), garage and woodstore, painted in 2015 for £815. I would expect the price in Sterling to be roughly the same today, but then again we do not live on the Bodrum peninsula!

Last edited:

Hanna

11 years a member, hardy new.
. The quote for painting sounds very high, especially as I suspect that quality of paint was never discussed. We had our large villa (2 stories but very high at the back due to slope so scaffolding was needed), garage and woodstore, painted in 2015 for £815. I would expect the price in Sterling to be roughly the same today, but then again we do not live on the Bodrum peninsula!
Thank you for your reply, I think I will try to fly out myself and yes you are correct I did join about 11 yrs ago but have never really used the site as had caring responsibilities so never had time to explore or develop dialogue

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
It was on the TV yesterday about how one of the most affordable foods fot the turkish has gone out of reach. The price of Lahmajun,has risen to 40.tl for 2 + salad.. It has gone up from 14 tl.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
It was on the TV yesterday about how one of the most affordable foods fot the turkish has gone out of reach. The price of Lahmajun,has risen to 40.tl for 2 + salad.. It has gone up from 14 tl.
I'm not sure where that is but we had pide last week. 2 mince and cheese pides, one soda and 1 Ayran was 43TL

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
I'm not sure where that is but we had pide last week. 2 mince and cheese pides, one soda and 1 Ayran was 43TL
Not sure myself it was maybe one of the cities. Pide always has been a lot more expensive than Lahmajun, even in Alanya eventhougth it's made the same way.

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
It's getting past a joke now all the price increases. There is a pack of biscuits they were 9.40 tl just like rich tea , now 12.90 in a day. I wondered what all the commotion was about at the till customers complaining about the 3 tl increase. I think it's getting to the state were stuff the customer blame the dollar. Evan though everything is made or grown in turkey.

By the luck of it petrol will be going up again its gone up nearly 1.5% a barrel today.

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
We were surprised to find some biscuits cheaper in Migros than they were in BIM and A101.

They were the Eti brand, cheaper by around 2tl.

Kanga

It's getting past a joke now all the price increases. There is a pack of biscuits they were 9.40 tl just like rich tea , now 12.90 in a day. I wondered what all the commotion was about at the till customers complaining about the 3 tl increase. I think it's getting to the state were stuff the customer blame the dollar. Evan though everything is made or grown in turkey.

By the luck of it petrol will be going up again its gone up nearly 1.5% a barrel today.
Biscuits are made with flour and sugar, among other ingredients, and both those have risen in price recently, to say nothing of the electricity needed for baking ovens.

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Biscuits are made with flour and sugar, among other ingredients, and both those have risen in price recently, to say nothing of the electricity needed for baking ovens.
I understand that but they went up after the last increase and the darker biscuit which was more expensive has only gone up 2tl, maybe it's a bit put these up to sell the others.

Kanga

I understand that but they went up after the last increase and the darker biscuit which was more expensive has only gone up 2tl, maybe it's a bit put these up to sell the others.
More like they use a dash of gravy browning in the darker ones.

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Prices in some restaurants are taking the P. Went in to little spots for a drink today only tea, one charged 20 tl for 2 cay glasses so I will give it a miss as from now on. The other is a little place we go a lot 4 cays 2 chocolate chip cookie's and one cheese filled pastry berek 20 tl for the lot

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom