enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Some current prices in Turkey
We had to buy a new Aygaz cylinder today. 197TL, last one in June was 135TL. This is a huge burden for locals. To put it in context, a man here labours for a day for 200TL.
Just got one yesterday 170 Tl, campaign on at the moment.

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
just seen that the lira is now 15.1/£.
If bread flour has to be imported, and Canada is a big exporter, it's no wonder that the price of bread is rising.
I don't know the Turkish for it, but there's a system where you can leave extra money with a baker to provide bread for people in need, I'll be doing that when we finally reach Datca,
Will anyone else on here do the same? It's peanuts for us but a lifeline for a family.
Been doing that at the local bake?. I hope they are getting it. I just said bread for people with No money.

Camden

What has happened to Turkey's wheat production it was once, one of the bigger exporters ? and Turkey according to the Govt was self sufficient in 2018.

Is this Govt having to export their production of wheat to the detriment of the people ? in an attempt to get hard currency ,to prop up their ailing economy ? Or has climate change and the lack of water effected the crop ?

2018 article ..

Bekir Pakdemirli, the AKP Minister of Agriculture and Forestry, said that he would not turn blind-eye to speculation over the wheat and bread of poor people. On the wheat controversy, he said, “Turkey is self-sufficient in the wheat production.”

Last edited:

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
What has happened to Turkey's wheat production it was once, one of the bigger exporters ? and Turkey according to the Govt was self sufficient in 2018.

Is this Govt having to export their production of wheat to the detriment of the people ? in an attempt to get hard currency ,to prop up their ailing economy ? Or has climate change and the lack of water effected the crop ?

2018 article ..

Bekir Pakdemirli, the AKP Minister of Agriculture and Forestry, said that he would not turn blind-eye to speculation over the wheat and bread of poor people. On the wheat controversy, he said, “Turkey is self-sufficient in the wheat production.”

I think it's the price of water as well, the farmers are all complaining about it.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
I think it's the price of water as well, the farmers are all complaining about it.
And the cost of energy to pump the water from deep aquifers. Here diesel for agriculture is not subsidised as in the EU. the cost for filling a tractor is the same as filling a diesel van.

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Turkish coffee was 30 tl at the beginning of the year. 90 tl in August but now 140 a kilo. But the likes of this will not be among the core inflation list.

Last edited:

Kanga

Foreign companies and countries bought up huge tracts of agricultural land before the government belatedly changed the rules. This land is now providing food for those countries instead of TC.

Camden

Why Turkey's currency crash does not worry the President

By Ozge Ozdemir
BBC Turkish
Published 4hrs ago

Turkey's national currency has plummeted 45% against the dollar this year and yet President Re doesn't seem all that bothered.

The lira has flirted with record lows this week, but Turkey's long-time leader is pressing ahead with his "economic war of independence", backed up by low interest rates.
So why is the President pushing a model that critics warn risks soaring inflation, higher unemployment and poverty, and what does it mean for Turks?

Unorthodox policy

The simple reason for the Turkish lira's collapse is his unorthodox economic policy of keeping interest rates low to boost Turkey's economic growth and export potential with a competitive currency.
For many economists, if inflation goes up you control it by raising interest rates. But the President sees interest rates as "an evil that make the rich richer and the poor poorer".

MJL

Why Turkey's currency crash does not worry the President

By Ozge Ozdemir
BBC Turkish
Published 4hrs ago

Turkey's national currency has plummeted 45% against the dollar this year and yet President Re doesn't seem all that bothered.

The lira has flirted with record lows this week, but Turkey's long-time leader is pressing ahead with his "economic war of independence", backed up by low interest rates.
So why is the President pushing a model that critics warn risks soaring inflation, higher unemployment and poverty, and what does it mean for Turks?

Unorthodox policy

The simple reason for the Turkish lira's collapse is his unorthodox economic policy of keeping interest rates low to boost Turkey's economic growth and export potential with a competitive currency.
For many economists, if inflation goes up you control it by raising interest rates. But the President sees interest rates as "an evil that make the rich richer and the poor poorer".

Is someone moving soon?🤔

Camden

I occasional like a Jack & coke but if I was having one in Turkey may need a mortgage at 1,375 a litre ... :eek:

If your looking for a present for a Turk for new year buy a litre of Jack's from amazon in the UK , it will become the presentation piece on display in their Salon....for friends to see ...

Last edited:
Reactions: MJL

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Anyone know whether Turkey is a net importer or exporter of Food, goods and services?

Last edited:

Camden

Services not inc

In June 2021 Turkey exported $18.8B and imported $21.9B, resulting in a negative trade balance of $3.1B. Between June 2020 and June 2021 the exports of Turkey have increased by $6.04B (47.4%) from $12.7B to $18.8B, while imports increased by $6.04B (38.1%) from $15.8B to $21.9B.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
Services not inc

In June 2021 Turkey exported $18.8B and imported $21.9B, resulting in a negative trade balance of $3.1B. Between June 2020 and June 2021 the exports of Turkey have increased by $6.04B (47.4%) from $12.7B to $18.8B, while imports increased by $6.04B (38.1%) from $15.8B to $21.9B.

So how can a high exchange rate favour the economy? it beats me

429nufc

Anyone know whether Turkey is a net importer or exporter of Food, goods and services?
To quote you an e mail from my neighbour this week, he's a qualified mimar , "Unfortunately Turkey is not a self sufficient country for the 5 years. When calculating seed , imported, fertiliser , insecticide & fuel. There is problems with banks seizing tractors and other equipment. even lentils , rice, peppers and other foodstuffs are imported. Unbelievable isn't it?"
Whilst his opinion is no better than the man in the street I respect it.

Camden

So how can a high exchange rate favour the economy? it beats me

It can't ... all it does is cause a burning up of foreign reserves to defend the lira... meaning he has to privatise the Turkish crown jewel industries and sell off Govt land.. to refill the coffers ( which both end up in the hands of his developer & business supporters, a Turkish Mugabe )

The base premise of "Erdonomics" is he believes that higher interest rates cause higher inflation, he doesn't care his own theory flies in the face of conventional economic everywhere. His policy on trying to keep interest rates low has actually done the opposite with inflation more than three times the central bank’s target.

Last edited:

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
The new price list for Alanya barber. The locals are saying if you think we will pay this I will buy an machine first. When I first came I got hair cut and shave, ears waxed shoes cleaned and tea. I think it was 9tl.

Screenshot_20211207_130526_com.google.android.gm_compress65.jpg

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Petrol and diesel up again. Petrol the highest 77 cents diesel 31 cents from midnight, and that's on top of the cigarette hike.

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
Market today in Alanya. Tomatoes, from 2 tl a kilo. Cauliflower from 4 each, broccoli from 4 each, lettuce 5 each. Potatoes from 2.50 a kilo onions the same. Turnips red or green, carrots all 5 kilo. Mint, spinage, PARSLEY 2tl. Apple's, oranges from 3. Grapes from 18 strawberrys 25. Kiwifruit from 5, just a few

Latest Posts

Top Bottom