Andywebb

Solar Tax thread/Joke
Re: More heat than light

immac said:
Acamas, I agree up to a point. There is still a lot of information, but there is far more drivel, which makes finding information harder.
I am particularly irritated by serious subjects which are taken off course when a few old friends decide to use it as a venue to have a chat and gossip about their personal lives.
All is not lost. Take, for example, the action taken to get rid of the jokes which were dominating the forum. After brief discussion they were shoved off into one section thus clearing the front page. So I think this is really down to the moderators who should remember the point you are making - that this is a forum for the sharing of information and not a forum for the development of cliques. There are plenty of places to gather information on the internet, if this forum is to remain relevant it has to be managed with that in mind otherwise people will opt out.
A recent example is the thread on taxing solar systems. I am personally embarrassed by this as I have asked Turkish friends to check it out and now have to tell them it was a 'joke'; how are casual visitors to the site to make sense of such posts?
Ian

I have to totally agree with you. Up until the present I have enjoyed reading and taking in the information that has been given. But with the recent post on "Solar Panel" tax this has changed my opinion of the forum. In future all posts that reccommend you do this or that to make it right will be taken with a pinch of salt. As you say the casual visitor maybe confused by such posts. But it seems to be the accepted thing to do here as no "serious" comment came from those in control of the forum.

I see it all to much here, Brits gathering together to form their own little "cliques" on the same complexes even, it seems it happens here to since it seems some were "in the know" about this hoax.

Andy

Susan

Non Active Member
Solar Tax thread/Joke

Come on folks, you only had to look at the post and it said something like 25% of your property purchase, was that not a give away.

I put a real silly post on it stating that mine said lower % and they were going to tax me on my steps up to the house, taking the micky out of the first post,now if that was not a give away not sure what was, just joining in with the sillyness of the thread and treating it in the way it was posted.

Then we had someone say about building something round the tanks or putting plastic plants round it, now that was another give away.

Mind you one one member said about maybe getting her tanks moved, not sure if she was taking the mick or not but told her not too until more was found out about it.

I am not in any clique or cliques on this forum, most of the time when I put a post about certain things I have people jumping on me, but I am made of rubber and soon come back into shape.

Will admit after my post I did find out it was a joke, well it had to be did it not.

Did not buy my house in Turkey on a compound for the same reason you mention Andy, see it too much here in Doha where I live.

And I am sorry for anyone who went to the trouble to find out more about it, just tell your friends it was a bunch of stupid brits kids with nothing better to do.

Don't think you have been had or made to look silly, I am sure it did not start out to do this to anyone.

parrot

Solar Tax thread/Joke

Susan said:
Come on folks, you only had to look at the post and it said something like 25% of your property purchase, was that not a give away.
Susan,were you in on this p**s take,because when it was owned up to,by the perpetrators it said "those in the know"in my opinion the clique.The thread on "GUILTY",also only my opinion,was nothing more than gloating at having everyone over,everyone,that is except those in the know.

jcrian

Solar Tax thread/Joke

parrot said:
Susan,were you in on this p**s take,because when it was owned up to,by the perpetrators it said "those in the know"in my opinion the clique.The thread on "GUILTY",also only my opinion,was nothing more than gloating at having everyone over,everyone,that is except those in the know.

I think that is a bit strong Parrot.I don't think anyone was gloating, just having a bit of fun to brighten up the messageboard.

I certainly wasn't in the know and don't belong to any cliches.I just used common sense on the thread as you can see from my post "Is it April 1st"

Susan

Non Active Member
Solar Tax thread/Joke

parrot said:

Hi Parrot,

As stated at first I did not know, was told after my first post on it taking the p**s and entering into the spirit it was intended lighthearted.

I am not in any clique on this forum, but just went with the swing of it.

In fact I can go to say I only have msn or email contact with one person and now and again msn contact with two others, lonely little soul I am. sob sob

And I for one can say I was not gloating at anyone over it, I think that was clear in my posts, when I went on about the large amounts of steps to my house being taxed as the electric reader man was wearing out his shoe leather walking up them, now no one would believe that.

Sorry Parrot if this has offended you, and I am now feeling quite ashamed that I entered into a little bit of fun and upset people.

Take care

Susan

parrot

Solar Tax thread/Joke

jcrian said:
I think that is a bit strong Parrot.I don't think anyone was gloating, just having a bit of fun to brighten up the messageboard.

I certainly wasn't in the know and don't belong to any cliches.I just used common sense on the thread as you can see from my post "Is it April 1st"
Had it been an April fool,I would've found it acceptable,I done one myself on 1/4, but some did take it seriously,my initial question was directed to Susan,but thanks for your thoughts and reply.

Susan

Non Active Member
Solar Tax thread/Joke

parrot said:
Had it been an April fool,I would've found it acceptable,I done one myself on 1/4, but some did take it seriously,my initial question was directed to Susan,but thanks for your thoughts and reply.

Hi Parrot,

I have answered you just before you put this post on.

But hell why are you turning this into a witch hunt on me, and having a go at me, just because I owned up to something, should have kept quite like all the rest.

Susan

Solar Tax thread/Joke

When people spoke of a 25% tax on the purchase and also taxing the steps,surely people realised it was a joke.
I spoke of demolishing my steps and then doing a roof garden and falling off the balcony!!!
I am sure no harm was meant but it was clearly a joke from the outset and people joined it with outrageous posts.
I joined in but also apologise if anyone was offended by my banter about selling up etc

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Solar Tax thread/Joke
This subject created problems because some people felt they were 'in on it' and perpetuated the joke - this is the problem. No, it was not obvious that it was a joke as the detail was left deliberately vague, and the tone of people's contributions show it was not seen as such by most.
The wider view, which is perhaps more important, is whether the forum is going to be the source of reliable information, delivered as such, or degenerate into a 'playground' for people to pass on jokes and scams and hope readers will know enough to pick out those that are genuine from the deceptions.
Ian

Solar Tax thread/Joke

Andywebb said:
I have to totally agree with you. Up until the present I have enjoyed reading and taking in the information that has been given. But with the recent post on "Solar Panel" tax this has changed my opinion of the forum. In future all posts that reccommend you do this or that to make it right will be taken with a pinch of salt. As you say the casual visitor maybe confused by such posts. But it seems to be the accepted thing to do here as no "serious" comment came from those in control of the forum.

I see it all to much here, Brits gathering together to form their own little "cliques" on the same complexes even, it seems it happens here to since it seems some were "in the know" about this hoax.

Andy
Andy
Sorry you feel that way
I cannot believe that looking at the basic facts of this tax which INCLUDED A TAX ON STEPS,that most people didnt realise it straight away.
Look at the responses about roof gardens,demolition of steps etc etc etc I mean good god!
Nobody is in a clique,I certainly am not and like to get on well with anybody!
I too apologise to people who have been offended but I saw it and thought "lets join in" and didnt ever imagine anyone would seriously believe it as it was so ridiculously far fetched.
As many have said this forum has a large database of past discussions for serious topics and once fully discussed thats it.
That database is only updated by members extra experiences and problems and as Mushtaq says if nobody posts and only looks,there wont be any.
There is only so much you can talk technically about one subject so whats wrong with a bit of humour if its so obvious it unbelievable!
Sorry again for my involvement if any offence caused!
Like Susan I too am feeling a bit ashamed that I joined in the fun but really why should we as it was perfectly innocent.
Dont you think this forum would just be an information search facility and not a real forum if only serious facts were posted?
Perhaps I just have a strange sense of humour but sometimes you need one to survive on here!

Last edited:

parrot

Solar Tax thread/Joke

Susan said:
Hi Parrot,

As stated at first I did not know, was told after my first post on it taking the p**s and entering into the spirit it was intended lighthearted.

I am not in any clique on this forum, but just went with the swing of it.

In fact I can go to say I only have msn or email contact with one person and now and again msn contact with two others, lonely little soul I am. sob sob

And I for one can say I was not gloating at anyone over it, I think that was clear in my posts, when I went on about the large amounts of steps to my house being taxed as the electric reader man was wearing out his shoe leather walking up them, now no one would believe that.

Sorry Parrot if this has offended you, and I am now feeling quite ashamed that I entered into a little bit of fun and upset people.

Take care

Susan
Susan,if by asking a simple question,gives you the impression I am leading a witch hunt ,then my apology, I am not.Ref.gloating this wasn't aimed at you,but at the initial post on the "GUILTY" thread,and by the way I am not offended,my skin is slightly more thicker than you think,some would also say my head likewise.

Susan

Non Active Member
Solar Tax thread/Joke

parrot said:
Susan,if by asking a simple question,gives you the impression I am leading a witch hunt ,then my apology, I am not.Ref.gloating this wasn't aimed at you,but at the initial post on the "GUILTY" thread,and by the way I am not offended,my skin is slightly more thicker than you think,some would also say my head likewise.

Ok Parrot,

I'm made of rubber so I bounce back ok.

So that is two of us ok.

Best wishes

Susan

Solar Tax thread/Joke

Susan said:
Ok Parrot,

I'm made of rubber so I bounce back ok.

So that is two of us ok.

Best wishes

Susan
Glad you sorted it Susan and Parrot
I thought we had World war Altinkum thread breaking out again!

BRUSANDRA

Solar Tax thread/Joke
i didnt no it was a joke and was telling hubby about the solo panels being taxed he just looked at me as though i was daft then i said and the stairs are getting taxed .There,s me giving him all the info and full of myself and he,s just looking at me as much to say yes sandra . he,s a man of few words . then when i read it was a joke i pxxxd myself laughing . if you just think about it it is stuped . enyway i think it was done in a harmless way and it wasnt ment to hurt or make people feel stuped it was just a good thought up joke .and got us all going . Now were,s that tax form for the flushing of my toilet ?

Solar Tax thread/Joke
BRUSANDRA said:
i didnt no it was a joke and was telling hubby about the solo panels being taxed he just looked at me as though i was daft then i said and the stairs are getting taxed .There,s me giving him all the info and full of myself and he,s just looking at me as much to say yes sandra . he,s a man of few words . then when i read it was a joke i pxxxd myself laughing . if you just think about it it is stuped . enyway i think it was done in a harmless way and it wasnt ment to hurt or make people feel stuped it was just a good thought up joke .and got us all going . Now were,s that tax form for the flushing of my toilet ?
Thats a lovely post Mrs Mason

cirali

Solar Tax thread/Joke
I had a very similar reaction when reading the original post and I as well mentioned to the hubby and he thought I was more crazy than usual. I never really thought much more of it and continued to read along the many posts. My thoughts were if this was being done in other areas of Turkey why were we not informed of this here in Antalya. It seemed strange to me that a big city like Antalya with millions of these things growing off the roofs and many more being built no one here heard of this. But this is Turkey they are always introducing some new way to tax all the residents. So I thought anything was possible. When I told hubby yesterday that it was a joke, he laughed and said I told you so. But like others have said a non-member of this forum may read into this differently. I now know it is a joke to lighten things up around here but then it makes one wonder what they read is it truthful???

Vicky

Solar Tax thread/Joke
Just want to add my bit in.

Did anyone actually wonder why it was posted in the cafe section???!!?!! Surely if it was an important thread it would have been in the main part. Maybe thats just my thinking though?!

I wasnt part of the clique and being blonde Im not the cleverest of people but even I didn't fall for it and at t eh end of the day it was just a joke.

People shouldnt take what is read on the net as gospel - like I think someone else has said elsewhere you would check first. I have lived in Fethiye for 2 years now and I have seen a lot posts on diff forums saying stuff and they aren't always true anyway!

parrot

Solar Tax thread/Joke
Vicky said:
Just want to add my bit in.

Did anyone actually wonder why it was posted in the cafe section???!!?!! Surely if it was an important thread it would have been in the main part. Maybe thats just my thinking though?!

I wasnt part of the clique and being blonde Im not the cleverest of people but even I didn't fall for it and at t eh end of the day it was just a joke.

People shouldnt take what is read on the net as gospel - like I think someone else has said elsewhere you would check first. I have lived in Fethiye for 2 years now and I have seen a lot posts on diff forums saying stuff and they aren't always true anyway!
But are you a real blonde or just pretending to be(in your words)"not the cleverest of people".

Harem

I've cliqued
Solar Tax thread/Joke
Well I fell for it (and I'm not blonde,but perhaps I should be!!) I told my husband all about it AND we asked our Turkish friends, estate agents, builders, etc. if they knew anything about it. Of course, nobody did. I got to the stage where I began to think that Jen was the one being hoaxed.

There was another thread going about favourite sayings. Well, this isn't one of my favourites, but I think it is very apt: The devil makes work for idle hands. My gran used to use it a lot and how true!!

Anyway, I'm not bitching because I am dumb. It was a joke. They apologised. If harm has been done, like Thurstan cancelling his order for solar panels, then, I agree, that is a shame. However, Thurstan, you can always reorder them, perhaps with another supplier.

Harem

Vicky

Solar Tax thread/Joke
Parrot I am a real blonde and I can prove it lol :lol:

I wasnt saying anyone was dumb but Im just saying you cant trust everything that is written esp on the net.

Like Harem has said they have apologised for it and they will have learnt not to do it again!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom