bobthenob

Non Active Member
Snail lnvaders
I seem to have this instant attraction to an army of snails suddenly,where a month ago there were hardly any around.They are all over the place in the house and on top of the roof terrace would you believe[that must’ve taken up a lot of mucus to slither up to the top].
I spent a good few day’s painting the outside of the house to the point where l even surprised myself what a good job l’ve done.The next moring was a covering of snail mucus all over my nice painted walls,with snails attached to the wall with their own hardened dried up mucus has made many annoying marks that are hard to get off.

Where are they all coming from.The chickens around my house are not doing their job properly[do they eat snails]l couldn’t harm a snail deliberately,but l do pick them up and transfer them further afield.They even get in between the door and the hinge.They must have a death wish,because when l close the doors,l hear this crunching sound and thought to myself.What the blue blazes was that,only to find a snotty looking mucus on the doors edge.

Has anyone else been experiencing such an invasion of mollusks on their property.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Snail lnvaders
Yep, I picked 87 off of just one Hibiscus plant this morning. It's amazing how they manage to survive the scorching weeks of summer and then suddenly appear as soon as there's a bit of dampness in the air.

Snail lnvaders
Our walls and also te roof of the balcony have been covered in them since end of April. Everytime I go back to Turg the ones I have removed have moved back.
We wanted to aint the outside walls this year but glad we didn't now. Never had this problem before

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Snail lnvaders
We normally have loads of snails at the side of our house in the UK, but this year we've had hardly any, do you think our Harry Hedgehog is having a good feed Bob? I did notice when I opened the back door this a.m. to let Monty out, there were quite a few slugs slithering up the wall of our conservatory, yuk.

When we were over in Turkey recently we noticed many, many frogs around our area, moreso than we'd ever seen before, some of them were big blighters as well.

bulbul

Snail lnvaders
I've the same problem in Yalikavak, snails everywhere, and don't know how to get rid of them.
Any idea ?

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Snail lnvaders
I've the same problem in Yalikavak, snails everywhere, and don't know how to get rid of them.
Any idea ?

Hi Bulbul, we have some spare land near to us and in the past have put them in a bucket and take them there and let them go, Bobthenob has also recommended this in the past, he even painted their shells earlier this year to see if they returned, lol. I cannot harm them, even tho' they do damage, but I cannot kill any creatures, not deliberately, anyway.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Snail lnvaders
We normally have loads of snails at the side of our house in the UK, but this year we've had hardly any, do you think our Harry Hedgehog is having a good feed Bob? I did notice when I opened the back door this a.m. to let Monty out, there were quite a few slugs slithering up the wall of our conservatory, yuk.

When we were over in Turkey recently we noticed many, many frogs around our area, moreso than we'd ever seen before, some of them were big blighters as well.

You will know if Harry the hedgehog has a taste for snails.lf you see toothpicks near his den with pepper and vinegar, and also the odd sound of belching coming from under the shed,then Harry has been actively keeping the population of mollusks at bay.
Did you know that hedgehog will only consume certian species of mollusks.The great big slugs that seems to be multiplying at a fast rate when wet weather is around are free from being munched,because of the foul taste hedgehogs do not like.The little white one's are their prey.

The frogs in Turkey are quite noisy when the evening sets in.l just love that sound of rivet rivet in the evening while sitting out looking at the stars,when l lived right on the beach in Altinkum

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Snail lnvaders
Thanks Bob, no I didn't know that, because we haven't so many around, I thought HH had been feasting, lol. I do find the crickets and frogs calling very calming whilst sitting on our balcony with my G & T. Ah well, I'll have to dream on till the next time.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Snail lnvaders
have heard if you break up egg shell and place them around plants they Dont like it . It being sharp . also gravel etc . I haven't tried it myself . Also sand is meant to help . Slugs are Yukky . and both are poisinous to dogs if they play and eat them !!!! I can't use slug pellets because of my dogs . Salt kills them but its to cruel . Nature being Nature there must be a plant that snails & slugs don't like ! Failing all else maybe we could make a profit and deport them all to france !!! [ joke } .... Diane

PS this year i wiped my tubs with oil or vasaline . They no longer get into the tubs .

Last edited:

hijo

in my own clique
Snail lnvaders
..i have always found the best way to get rid of slugs and snails from our garden ..was containers of beer around the garden ..the yeast attracts them..:36:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Snail lnvaders
are these snails edible ? why not eat them if they are.

in the uk we fix a piece of copper wire around our pots and raised borders as snails and slugs will not go over copper

martin

Sara-666

Snail lnvaders
Most of them are edible, my hubby's uncle showed us how to cook them in Cyprus, he puts them in a pan of root vegetables with a stock cube and lots of water, then as they boil he changes the water but leaves the veg in there, he does this 3 times to clean them. The veg just take the dirty taste away as he has them just with vinegar. If you are going to cook them with garlic there is no need to keep changing the water when boiling them clean as the taste is masked by the garlic.

I managed to keep one in my mouth long enough to taste it and i've got to say they are not bad if you can get your head round what you're eating, which unfortunately I couldn't.

Hubby has been searching the garden all this week in the early mornings and collected a large bucket full which he intends to cook!
Sara

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Snail lnvaders
Did you know that slugs and snails aren't vegetarians? They love dog, cat, sheep, goat, cow, human etc .......poop and rotten meat ! No amount of garlic or boiling will make common garden snails and slugs safe to eat.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Snail lnvaders
The most important thing to remember when your invaded by the nashers is to answer a few questions yourself.
1/Where did they come from
2/Why are there so many of them
3/How do l get rid of them and also how to prevent them from returning
Just a few question to play on.
Never use any poisions of any kind to rid the molluskks,because serious problems will occur in the future which can be irriversible for a long time.

Poisons will effect the eco-system in the soil and also the wildlife that keeps the balance of nature in check.A poisoned mollusk slowly dies in agony when effected with such poison and then will be eaten by the wildlife which in turn will also be effected.This is what causes plagues of pests globally,by not letting nature do the work and man has interfered with nature by using his own control methods instead.

Think organic,that's the way to go to deter the mollusks and prevent from returning.Think of taking care of nature,and nature will take care of you.
Here is a link to humanely ridding of the nashers

Detering Snails in Organic Gardens: How to Safely and Humanely Rid Your Garden of Snails and Slugs | Suite101.com

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Snail lnvaders
Did you know that slugs and snails aren't vegetarians? They love dog, cat, sheep, goat, cow, human etc .......poop and rotten meat ! No amount of garlic or boiling will make common garden snails and slugs safe to eat.

they should be put in a bucket for about 3 days with cabbage leaves etc to cleanse themselves,

do remember what farm aninals eat ! grass fertilised with poop !

martin

Latest Posts

Top Bottom