bickern

Smoking Ban Starts 19th July
Well it started today, wonder how Turkey is bearing up to it​
The smoking ban​

1. Smoking is prohibited in all enclosed spaces, including those at restaurants, cafes, coffee houses, bars and all entertainment centres, in public-transportation vehicles (including taxis), in both open and enclosed spaces at education facilities and at all facilities that host open-air artistic or sporting events. Special enclosed spaces can be assigned within these facilities for smoking, but cannot exceed 50 percent of the total space.

2. Smoking is not banned in prisons, nursing homes and mental hospitals, or on the decks of sea-transportation vehicles that travel between different cities and countries. However, there must be a special area assigned for smoking that children will not be able to enter.

3. Smoking is allowed in gardens as long as the proper equipment is installed to ensure that nonsmokers are not bothered by cigarette smoke.

4. Smoking is prohibited under umbrellas erected in gardens. Smoking is allowed only if all four sides of an area are open and the sky is visible.

5. Hotels will be able to have rooms where smoking is allowed, but children will not be able to stay in such rooms.

6. Entrepreneurs will not be able to open new restaurants or bars where smoking is allowed.

7. Smokers violating the law will be fined 69 Turkish Lira's.

8. Bars and restaurants that violate the law will be fined 560 lira's. If the violation is repeated, the fine will be increased to 5,600 lira's.

9. Cigarettes will not be sold at health, education, entertainment or sports centres.

10. Provincial smoking-control councils are being established by the Health Ministry. After July 19, inspection teams will be fining violators of the new law, which the Treasury expects to provide a serious monetary infusion into the budget.

11. People with smoking-related complaints can call the 184 hotline, go to the police or apply to one of the provincial “Cloudless Air Space” centres.

Last edited by a moderator:

petlover

Re: Smoking Ban Start Today - 19th July

i for one think it is about time because i know people go on about poor children but what about the poor pets that also suffer. if it harms a child it will harm a cat or dog.

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here

And fish. Nicotine can enter their water via air filtration systems. I'm pleased for the fish.

zuberdust

IM THE BESTEST :)

well thats good! about time! so no more hookah cafes then? or is it a 'outside' hookah cafe! lol

geordie_nev

well thats good! about time! so no more hookah cafes then? or is it a 'outside' hookah cafe! lol

The last hookah

With a smoking ban looming, Barbara Nadel seeks out Istanbul's water pipe salons and laments the end of a 400-year-old tradition

'What is meant by 'inside' and 'outside' is still unclear," said Ismail Beyi, purple-bearded proprietor of Istanbul's Bread and Water nargile (water pipe) salon. "The government still hasn't decided."

Full Article

zuberdust

IM THE BESTEST :)

in edinburgh they have some hookah cafes but now u sit outside to do that... works well enof

Last edited by a moderator:

Spyrogal

Sally from Yali

3. Smoking is allowed in gardens as long as the proper equipment is installed to ensure that nonsmokers are not bothered by cigarette smoke.

...so that's some bigs walls then?

4. Smoking is prohibited under umbrellas erected in gardens. Smoking is allowed only if all four sides of an area are open and the sky is visible.

..oh, so no big walls. Never mind...

:5:

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE

We still have the Nargile pipe and smoking is allowed on our " outside " tables
So far the Turks have been very good -- time will tell

Yalides

Am I pretty ?

Its time the disgusting habit was banned...will it work in Turkey.....not for a while but a few heavy fines should concentrate minds.

Bickern, do you have a link to the place you found those details please? I'm particularly interested in:
This would suggest that people can't smoke around the pool in the garden of our villa complex. It disgusts me when I'm lying by the pool and have to put up with other people by the pool smoking.
Thanks.

I hope the ban extends to Grannie and Mummy and Daddy puffing away like fury outside at a table sat beside their kids who are trying to breathe as well as eat!!!!
Probably not!
Also I hope all pushchairs are compulsorily equipped with an ash tray cover over the top to prevent the ash falling on the kids. A small oxygen cylinder would help too built into the pushchair.
Unlikely!!

Quote from rules

In Fethiye many of the restaurants have large umbrellas or tarpaulin for shade which seems to suggest they cant smoke there either even though technically outside the building.
If true this is getting better by the minute!!

Last edited:

elaine k

I thought this ban was introduced last year, although everybody seemed to be largely ignoring it, well that was the information I received while out there that it actually came into force when I was on holiday. Am I wrong?

I thought this ban was introduced last year, although everybody seemed to be largely ignoring it, well that was the information I received while out there that it actually came into force when I was on holiday. Am I wrong?
Yes sort of!!! .The ban was limited to public buildings last year I think and restaurants/bars were given an extra year to sort themselves out and it now applies to them too.
Should be an interesting holiday this year.

Last edited:

bickern

yes and no, there was a partial smoking ban that banned smoking in enclosed shopping centres and other places, but this is a far reaching ban now.

RIK

Here in our village all the ashtrays have disappeared from inside the premises.They are now all outside and under a roof with four open sides.When I pointed out to my Bar Owner Pal that this was illegal he said ' The Mayor of Antalya has stated that if the area outside is greater than that under cover then it's legal to smoke ' Sounds like Turkish Logic to me but the next few months will be interesting.

Ian

bickern

Here in our village all the ashtrays have disappeared from inside the premises.They are now all outside and under a roof with four open sides.When I pointed out to my Bar Owner Pal that this was illegal he said ' The Mayor of Antalya has stated that if the area outside is greater than that under cover then it's legal to smoke ' Sounds like Turkish Logic to me but the next few months will be interesting.

Ian

But can you see the sky?

It will take a few fines etc to sort out the correct interpretation but it is really down to enforcement in the areas concerned.

Honestly!!!
Makes you want to spit haha!!!
Thats the Mayor for the chop then :biggrin::biggrin:

elaine k

So does this mean that traders wont be smoking on covered markets?And can smokers still sit on their balcony/terrace in their apartments/hotel and have a smoke. And what do they plan on doing with the children of smokers who want a smoking room, but wont allow the children to occupy said room??

I am a smoker and always try to be considerate of other people around me. As I have children I dont tend to smoke in enclosed spaces with them, as they both hate it. I dont smoke at work as I work in a school and the only place available to smoke is outside of the school gates, dont really think that is setting a good example to children, although of course they all smoke in the toilets!!! I always put my stubs in an ashtray or down a drain, I even have a keyring ashtray for smoking on the street at home. I am happy to not smoke in areas where there are large amounts of people for everyones comfort and benefit, but I am now going to penalised for smoking under an umbrella in a garden in Turkey. Umm, well this could be a very interesting holiday for me, and very well my last if these laws are enforced. In the Uk I now no longer go out for meals, as smoking on a car park is not what I want to do after a meal. I only go to the pub now in good weather, and to one that has a decent beer garden, where I can sit and have a drink at the same time, for me drinking and smoking go hand in hand. As ALL my friends are smokers too, we decided that if we were going to spend our nights out in pokey yards with no roof, we may as well hang out on a park drinking with the teenagers, it would be cheaper!! If I am going to be prevented from even having a cigarette on the balcony in my apartments with my coffee first thing, then I will vote with my feet, and choose another country to visit. It will be interesting to see if this does have an impact on trade, although difficult to tell with so many people not holidaying this year due to economic reasons. I will just have to 'suck it and see' when I get there I think.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom