Jaycey

African Refugee
Smart Phones and Language Translation
Me again my geeky friends.

Here in Zap nobody speaks English and my Russian is rudimentary. Just the other day I couldn’t find eggs in our supermarket and I was reduced to flapping my arms, making chicken noises and pointing to my ass. I got the eggs and a round of applause from staff and customers. But tomorrow I need to buy toilet paper….

A couple of weeks ago I was ‘chatting’ to a guy on the bus. He had a cell phone the size of a small floor tile and of a brand that I haven’t seen before.

It could:

1. Input English text and translate to Russian
2. Accept English voice and output Russian voice and
3. Take a photo of a Russian sign and by OCR translate to English.

Can I assume that any Smart Phone can do this with suitable apps?

Any recommendations for a smallish phone that would suit the purpose?

Thanks JC

altinkum kev

Non Active Member
Re: Smart Phones

I don't have a smart phone as they frighten me ,they don't tend to give instructions for idiots that have never used one.

Jaycey

African Refugee

I don't have a smart phone as they frighten me ,they don't tend to give instructions for idiots that have never used one.

True, I'm a little nervous.

Maybe I could buy 'Smart phones for Dummies' - but with my luck it would come in Russian :dooh:

Last edited:

Akasya

Postless Pointer

My Galaxy note is versatile in turkish....

Steve.

Jaycey

African Refugee

… Any Android phone running recent versions of the OS should be able to do all that using Google Translate you do need internet access most of the time ..

There’ll be many times I’ll need to use it without Internet access – could be a problem :hmm:

Mushtaq

Founding Member

The photo/sign translation needs an active internet connection as the picture is sent to the Google servers to figure out what's there.

You can download many of the languages on the phone as long as you have enough storage space.

tykatem

Available in sarcastic to

2yuaa7n.jpg

Pete

evo80

Plenty of storage space on the 520 [8 gig ] . Just downloaded the sat nav & the radar detector . Both work a treat ,in fact the sat nav app works as good as the stand alone units .

Jaycey

African Refugee

Plenty of storage space on the 520 [8 gig ] . Just downloaded the sat nav & the radar detector . Both work a treat ,in fact the sat nav app works as good as the stand alone units .

OMG, anybody want to buy a Satnav, Fuzz Buster, Cybershot, vidcam etc? :noidea:

(Plus I can shop for toilet paper without the wife tagging along).

Jaycey

African Refugee

I’ve read the reviews on all the above phones - and even understood some of them. Also annoyed the heck out of most of our local cell shops.

But the one I’ve fallen in love with is the HTC One White. I like the language facilities and cameras and it feels good in the hand but at £365 (1200TL) it seems rather extravagant.

Would it be about the same price in Turkey?

And how do you carry it around? Does a belt pouch get cumbersome?

Does anybody use one and any comment please?

SLEEPY

I would buy in Turkey and save yourself all the hassle particularly as the prices are more or less the same.
Get a man bag for carrying it round.
Very fashionable.

Jaycey

African Refugee

I would buy in Turkey and save yourself all the hassle particularly as the prices are more or less the same.
Get a man bag for carrying it round.
Very fashionable.

Thanks Sleepy but I really meant should I buy in Ukraine or Turkey. But if prices are about the same anywhere it would make sense for me to buy in Ukraine.

2jeqnvr.jpg

As for man bags I always thought them a bit effeminate – bad enough hiding Mitzi in my pocket to keep her warm (-1 deg C here today). Maybe I should get a little phone cart for her and have her walk a respectable distance behind me.

Saoirse

image.jpg

Jaycey ignore Sleepy, TLFs own Tom Daley and his man bags.

They will make you look like a shirt-lifter.

Get a phone like mine

Last edited:

kemerkid

Bystander
Man bags again. How are you going to find room for the phone when it's filled with lipsticks, face powder compacts and frilly handkerchiefs.

Jaycey

African Refugee
I’d always be forgetting to take a man bag with me.

Yea, I think a belt pouch is the best answer, it would always be there …

66g64k.jpg

– unless I forget to put my trousers on.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom