arrian

R.I.P
SLUGS! eugh!
last summer i grew sweet peas for the first time, when i took the dead wood down, under the leaves where hundreds of slugs! does this icy weather mean that any of the remaining illegal immigrants lurking in my garden will have been killed off, or do they survive??:confused:

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
SLUGS! eugh!
No, they'll still be ok for cooking as they've been kept frozen, lol

They should not have survived Arrian, trouble is in these conditions you cannot go digging as it could cause more damage to your roots.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
SLUGS! eugh!
I Don't think so Arrian !!! i had hundreds of snails . They made me feel sick if it rained they all came out and left trails over the slabs .oil container ,dustbins ,etc . I spread grit and salt around all my tubs and plants plus broken egg shells it helped a bit . I can't use the powders available because of my little dogs , I,m scared they'd get poisioned ... Diane

hijo

in my own clique
SLUGS! eugh!
put little pots of bitter (beer) around were you have the peas ..then you should have no more problems.:28:

arrian

R.I.P
SLUGS! eugh!
funny thing is, most of the garden is gravel, so i put salt down to keep the weeds away, but it didn't seem to bother the slugs!!

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
SLUGS! eugh!
I quite like slugs. Beautiful creatures. When was the last time you were bitten by a poor slug???

So do I PTP, but they cause havoc to the poor plants, we have an all year round evergreen plants in our garden, we do get lots in the summer when it's damp, but I take the time and put them all in a bucket and take them to the field near to us and release them I hate to kill any wildlife, as they all have a purpose in life. I remember Bobthnob's very entertaining post about how he painted the snails shells, and then went walkabout to find them, but he did have a good point, he took them far away from his property.

arrian

R.I.P
SLUGS! eugh!
yes, 'cos no doubt they are allon the way back to you!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
SLUGS! eugh!
Give slugs a break people. These lovely gastropod molluscs should be cherished as one of gods creatures.
I think I'll begin a campaign for slug rights, but in the meantime I'll try to make you love them by pointing you to this website.

Maisie

SLUGS! eugh!
So Peter - can we parcel ours up and send them to your soon to be established slug sanctuary? Maisie

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
SLUGS! eugh!
Mmmmm slugs......

C

Latest Posts

Top Bottom