Royster

Sitesi Management
We live on a sitesi in Akbük. Can you tell us if English people can be voted on the management team? And have a say as to how the sitesi is run.

juco

Sitesi Management
As far as I understand as long as you get enough votes then you can. Do you mean the committee? Or a working person within a management team as that could have other implications re work permits.

Royster

Sitesi Management
We have a management team at present which is made up of 3 turkish men they make all decisions on how the site is run and how the site fees are spent. We have 33 villas of which 11 are english and we would like an english person on the management team.
We have been told by the current management that in Turkish law we can not have an English person on the Management.
The management are Turkish people who own villas on the site and are not payed.

Last edited:

juco

Sitesi Management
I assume you are not happy with the way they are running it.

I am not too sure of the legality and hopefully someone will come along and answer that, however as you are outnumbered 22 to 11 even if you are allowed they will turn the voting against you if they do not want you on the committee. You could always try the `helpdesk` at the mayors office in the village I think he is open for consultations on Thursdays but as to how useful he maybe I don`t know.

celtic

Sitesi Management
We live on a sitesi in Akbük. Can you tell us if English people can be voted on the management team? And have a say as to how the sitesi is run.

There's no discrimination in Turkish condominium law based on the nationalities of the independent owners. Every independent owner has right the to vote and be voted in for the management committee/team, no matter what his/her national identity is.

celtic

Sitesi Management
We have a management team at present which is made up of 3 turkish men they make all decisions on how the site is run and how the site fees are spent. We have 33 villas of which 11 are english and we would like an english person on the management team.
We have been told by the current management that in Turkish law we can not have an English person on the Management.
The management are Turkish people who own villas on the site and are not payed.

The general rule is electing the management committee with the majority of the total votes in the site, unless the otherwise was agreed in the management plan.

In such a circumstance that the owners of 1/3 independent apartments are ignored and not represented in the management team/committee as getting overvoted, they can apply to the local court to get a fair committee assigned, or get the unfair decisions set aside by the judge.

I want to repeat it once again, there's no discriminative rule against the foreigners in the site management in Turkish Law. It was probably considered difficult to hold a general meeting with the foreigner owners due to lack of their language skills and such an excuse was told as if the law forbids foreigners to join votings and meetings.

It's not my manner to talk on suppositions but nothing else comes to my mind regarding why they excluded foreigner nationals from site management.

Last edited:

Royster

Sitesi Management
Thank you very much for the information. We were told last year that an english person was not allowed by Turkish Law to be on our sitesi yonetim. He (one of the present yonetim) told us this in English.
İ am a permanent resident of Turkey and our Sitesi and one third of the properties on the sitesi are owned by English people. This year İ will try again and will use your information as proof if you dont mind
çok teşekkur ederim

celtic

Sitesi Management
Thank you very much for the information. We were told last year that an english person was not allowed by Turkish Law to be on our sitesi yonetim. He (one of the present yonetim) told us this in English.
İ am a permanent resident of Turkey and our Sitesi and one third of the properties on the sitesi are owned by English people. This year İ will try again and will use your information as proof if you dont mind
çok teşekkur ederim

Just ask the management committee according to which law regulation the foreigners are excluded of joining the meetings and votings and let me know the result. :)

Lynda T

Sitesi Management
We have an apartment on a large site on the Bodrum penninsula - 137 units. We have a Board of Directors (Committee) made up of 3 persons (the legal requirement) who are all UK residents. We did previously have a Turkish owner on the committee but he didn't stand again this year. There is definately no law which states that committee members have to be Turkish - in fact, the members of the Board of Directors do not even have to be owners as they are elected to represent the Condominium Owners.

Royster

Sitesi Management
On the same subject if a person has a proberty on the site and has not payed any site fees for the passed 12 months has he/she the right to a vote at the general meeting?

And i would like to say a big thank you to you all for your input.

Royster

Sitesi Management
Just ask the management committee according to which law regulation the foreigners are excluded of joining the meetings and votings and let me know the result. :)

we are allowed to join the meeting but they say are not allowed to be one of the management team to make decisions etc. We live their so feel it is in our interest to be actively involved. Most of the previous managemnt dont even live in Turkey. they are turkish but live in switzerland or germany

celtic

Sitesi Management
we are allowed to join the meeting but they say are not allowed to be one of the management team to make decisions etc. We live their so feel it is in our interest to be actively involved. Most of the previous managemnt dont even live in Turkey. they are turkish but live in switzerland or germany

Foreigners can also be in the management committee and make decisions regarding the issues of the site as long as getting the majority of the total votes. I recommend you to lodge to the local court as I already stated in my previous message if you are prevented to avail your rights by your neighbours.

celtic

Sitesi Management
On the same subject if a person has a proberty on the site and has not payed any site fees for the passed 12 months has he/she the right to a vote at the general meeting?

And i would like to say a big thank you to you all for your input.

The owner of an individual property can still vote for the elections of the management committee with no restrictions, unless the contrary was agreed in the management plan.

What shall be done for the individual owners who don't pay their fees is rather starting the execution process than restricting their rights of voting, according to the Turkish condominium law.

Lynda T

Sitesi Management
Why don't you all hire yourselves a lawyer to take along to your Annual General Meeting - they could translate for you and offer advice. Perhaps when your Turkish neighbours see you are legally represented then they will need to ensure that the whole proceedings are legal and above board

Also, any decisions regarding how the site is run or how money is spent should be voted upon by all owners at the AGM and recorded in your site decision book - majority vote carried. It really isn't up to a small group of people to make such decisions, they are merely there to represent owners.

Last edited:

juco

Sitesi Management
Why don't you all hire yourselves a lawyer to take along to your Annual General Meeting - they could translate for you and offer advice. Perhaps when your Turkish neighbours see you are legally represented then they will need to ensure that the whole proceedings are legal and above board

That would depend, I did mention earlier if they were unhappy with the way things are being run, it might just be a case of wanting uk representation on the committee, in which case legal representation would be an expensive solution if things are being run ok.

Also, any decisions regarding how the site is run or how money is spent should be voted upon by all owners at the AGM and recorded in your site decision book

The problem in most sitesi is that most owners are not in Turkey at the time of the meetings, although I do suspect this is intentional sometimes, to have them when uk owners are not there.

Guz1

Sitesi Management
Think you're right, Juco, about the inconvenient scheduling of meetings, but it isn't always foreigners that are affected. On our site the vast majority of owners are Turkish. The site is practically empty in the off season yet the meetings are held in January or February. OK for the core group of owners from Soke but inconvenient not just for us but also for Turks living in Izmir, Istanbul and Ankara.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom