angelaturkey

Days On The Beach in Side
Side - Best place for first time visit to Turkey
There seems to be little on this website about Side (pronounced See-Day and meaning Pomegranate in Turkish ie Olde Worlde Turkish like our Shakespearean!). Having been all over Turkey about 30 times, I must say in my opinion Side is the very best place for first time visitors or even others who have not seen the Antalya region. It has wonderful 5 star all inclusive holidays there as well as small, family run 2 star hotels on a B&B basis.

Side is just 50 minutes from Antalya airport but it has a much softer, white sand beach than Antalya where it is very stony and hard on the feet. It also has marvellous ruins in the centre of town where you can kick back the dirt and actually see the original colourful mosaics. There is also an active amphitheatre where you can see classical music concerts, opera, ballet and even Turkish pop music concerts in mid-September. Otherwise Aspendos is not far away and there are regular trips to that amphitheatre throughout the year.

Side itself is a little town with wonderful small restaurants mixed amid the ruins and the harbour area. Apollo Temple (like the Acropolis in Athens) is right on the harbour and you can take great pictures there at sunset. Lots of cobbled streets, so where flat shoes. Also the turtles can be seen swimming close to the beach from the restaurants above.

Just the other side of Apollo and about 3 along is the Paradise Restaurant where you can go down the back steps and actually sit on the rocks in the sea on tables and chairs there. Wonderful to hear the sea lapping beside you as you drink and eat and to watch the local cats jump in and catch their daily fish!

Onen is the ONLY place in old town Side you do not have to haggle in and is a wonderful haven of peace and tranquility. The shop is located up the hill by the mosque where the Gendarmarie (Police Station) road crosses the main 'High Street' into town. They have fresh Turkish delight twice a week there and you can try up to 100 varieties free before you decide on a purchase. Small box which is made up as you pick your choice is £1.50 They also have strips of 10 spices for £2 or 10 Turkish teas for £2 and will take English money as well as Euros or Lire. They speak excllent English there and can advise you on anything you wish to do whilst in Turkey.

The beach itself is pure white sand and no nasty creepy crawlies or big dips. Ideal for all ages and a spotless beach - the second longest in Turkey. The bars and restaurants nearest to the harbour area offer free sunbeds etc but if you go down further (about 25 minutes walk along to the right) BE CAREFUL - do not sit on the sun beds or you will get yelled at! They each belong to individual 5 star hotels and are monitored by their staff.

Oxyd Disco on the Side to Kumkoy road is the big spikey building and used to be the prison of the whole of the Antalya region. Big change now - wonderful open air disco with outdoor swimming pool, 4 staircases on each corner to the stars and a 60ft high picture of Marilyn Monroe. Good for all ages just to see this amazing place. Entrance 10 Lire but only open Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays in season.

Alremu Restaurant on the beach has FREE entertainment on a Friday night with belly dancers (normally 2) and Turkish dancing for all ages. Waiters and customers all join in.

Cheers Bar, also on the main road from Side to Kumkoy, has Monday and Thursday night FREE karaoke where a lot of local Brits go. Good food there and not pricey either. They also have football on the big screen when matches are played. And now they have Internet access too for just 1 Lire.

For a very special evening out, go to Conny's Restaurant. They do FREE pick up and drop off service to all Side hotels and have the very best steak in all of Side. Very different from any other restaurant there.

If you enjoy Side as much as I do, it is one of the best places in Turkey to invest in now. It will never be like a Miami Beach with high rise places along the beach as there is a law there saying no building must be higher than 3 storeys, so as to keep it looking quaint and in keeping with the ruins and amphitheatre there. A 2-bed 2-balcony apt there is now just £40,000 or a fully furnished villa £60,000 - both just one block from the beach and 20 minute walk into Old Town Side.

If you need a book to read on holiday, then go to Kale Properties on the main road out of Side near the Chinese Restaurant at the roundabout. Sally sells both Norwegian and English books and also does swaps. She is English but speaks fluent Turkish and is a great help with anything you might need to know.

Tours currently being offered by Ali of Ora Tours on the ruins road into Old Town Side, next door to House In Turkey =
OVERNIGHT TOURS
(1) Pamukkale - every Wed and Sat, 2 days half board for £30 departs 8am
(2) Kapadokya Tour - every Tues and Fri, 3 days and 2 nights at £50 departs 6am.
- and the following are just DAY TRIPS, returning at 6pm
(3) Alanya Tour - Wedn and Fri at £6 departs 8:30am
(4) White water rafting - incl lunch, departs 9am every day at £15
(5) Antalya tour - Tues Thurs and Sat at £4 departs 8am
(6) Village Tour - Mon and Thurs - £8 departs 8am
(7) Boat Tour including waterfall and market day - £12 departs 10am on Mon and Thurs only(8) Aquapark near Antalya, 1 hour drive away - departs Tues and Fri at £15 leaving at 9am but extra for lunch, dolphin and sea lion show, and to swim with dolphins. If you want to do all of that, then £100 !
(9) Turkish Bath/Hamam - every day at £13 - pick your time of day to suit yourselves. Takes about 2 or 3 hours.
(10) Car Hire - from 9am every day at £20 per day.
But anything different you want, he can arrange too - e.g. fishing off the piers with the locals in Side, horse riding along the sandy beach or in the Sorgun Forest nearby, riding an ostrich or donkey in the Sorgun Forest, etc.

PS: My villa is for sale in Side and just one block from the beach, overlooking the swimming pool - 2 photos attached - and just £65,000 fully furnished. Prices includes 2 x single beds with storage, 1 x double bed with storage, wardrobes, chests of drawers, big TV, video, DVD, microwave, toaster, cutlery, crockery, 3 sets of patio furniture (one of each level), towels, sheets, duvets, etc - READY TO MOVE INTO! - and Tapu and Habitation Certificate all sorted in my name. It currently has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms but a very large roof-top terrace with planning permission for another 2 bedrooms if required. Any queries, please email me. Kind regards, Angela x

Attachments

• 1-AkDen POOL.jpg
    1-AkDen POOL.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 8-AkDen HOUSE.jpg
    8-AkDen HOUSE.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 57

Manda

****, I wish I had seen your villa before I bought my apartment, looks lovely. Good luck in selling it, wouldn't think you would have any problems.

I've lived in Side for a year now & i'm still loving it. It's a fantastic place to live. We still have so many places nearby to visit, but all the time in the world to do it (hopefully).

I think you'll find that Angela isn't selling up & leaving but has 2 properties there.

"I think you'll find that Angela isn't selling up & leaving but has 2 properties there."

are you her best mate by any chance? villa looks fab by the way!

Manda

No, I have never met her but remember reading previous threads by her which stuck in my mind cos she lives in the same town as me.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Hi, are the rock music bars still going overlooking the cliffside and temple. Used to be amazing, 10 years after, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, 35 deg evenings, cheap beer. Wow do i miss it. Say it is still so.

Steve.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Should have been a Travel Agent or Estate Agent . Long winded discription of Side
Then nearly a ps " Villa for Sale " you don't have to sell Side to sell the villa . Sorry but people who want to buy a villa Will buy it were they want to live . You could have shown some pics of the inside As any interested wont be living Outside ! I want a villa myself and i don't mind See Day . But i dont judge a sausage by its skin . Why didn't you just put it in Properties For Sale ? or was the villa an after thought . Diane

whirley

i appreciated the information about Side, DO NOT appreciate the bitchy negative comments posted later though

and ...no i am not a friend of the lady (at the time of posting) i do not know her but i really find her post very helpful and i thank her for it

Whirley

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
I did'nt say anything negative about the villa or Side . But the advice about Side turned into villa for sale . Side IS a lovely place and the villa looks very nice . And people will apppreiate the information about the resort . But would it not have been better to Put villa for sale then give the information about the Resort . If theres pics available i may be interested myself . Can't see how i was being bitchy

angelaturkey

Thank you all for your kind comments here. This Forum is far more friendly and compassionate than a lot of others I have encountered on the net. I am new to all this, so I do apologise if I put the property for sale on the wrong bit of this website. I will try later to amend things and also to add some internal photos. I was just trying to give an all-encompassing view of Side as I feel sad that a lot of people miss out on this beautiful and magical place. I went all over Turkey before I found it. To answer your questions ... Yes, you are right ... I have 2 x properties in Side. I still love the villa though but my needs have changed over the years. I originally moved to Side 5 years ago when I bought the villa. Then I bought the apt. The idea was to live in the villa and rent out the apt and become a Turkish 'landlady' but I missed UK and family too much so now I have a 50/50 lifestyle between UK and Side. Hence, villa for sale. I hope if anyone on this forum comes to Side that we can meet up when I am there - this year from 1st September to 12th November (but I have 4 visitors in that time period!) - and any other questions I can answer, feel free to ask. Kind regards to you all, Angela x

angelaturkey

Yes - better than ever there now. Last year (or was it the year before? old age or what?!) I went to my first Turkish pop concert at the Side Amphitheatre. It was FANTASTIC. All the Turks went crazy bopping about in their seats and knowing every word of the songs. One guy had not sang for about 20 years (a bit like our Tom Jones) as his daughter had died but now he was back and they all cheered like mad and knew all the old songs he had to sing. He was GREAT. Don't recall his name. Anyone know please? Turkish man. And Yes, all the live groups are still playing in the bands in Side and some excellent singers too.

Philogic

Hi Angela, yes I too think there is little info on this forum about Side. Most people seem to live futher West, Dalaman, Bodrum and Altinkum areas. [and all the others in between]. I did think your post was a bit of a 'travelogue':thumbup:
I will be out in October when you can reprimand me personally:peace:

Philogic

Another thing, about live bands, went to see a traditional Turkish band in a bar upstairs not far from the 'Cheers' bar, they wanted 9 Lira for an Efes and 3Lira for the compulsary dish of peanuts. They did not attempt to stuff the peanuts where I suggested and I left. There were a lot of Turkish people there but I bet not paying those prices!
Where are there other live bands in Side?
And if you read this Amanda, Hello!

angelaturkey

Philogic - There are 2 good guitarists as you walk into Side along the beach from where you and I are, as you get nearly to the first lot of shops, you see a restaurant on the left called I think the Pegasus and they have speakers and equipment outside - a good night's entertainment and the drink prices are reasonable. See you in October and you can buy me an Efes there for the info!

Els

Philogic, do you mean the Türkü bar half way down the main street to the harbour on the left hand side above some shops? We have been there several times with Turkish friends and yes it is very expensive but a very enjoyable night out with the locals with live Türkü music, especially later on in the evening when people get up to hand in requests, sing and dance. Our Turkish friends grumbled about the prices too, so maybe you weren't charged a special price after all.

Philogic

Hi Els, if you mean in the old town, then no, this place sounds similar but is opposite the Side Prenses Hotel, not far from the Chinese restaurant. It may be called the TURKU bar though?
Angela, are you in the old town? didn't know you could walk to the old town down the beach, I thought you had to leave the beach before you got there. Yes I'll get you an Efes from Edis, know him well.

angelaturkey

Philogic - It's easy to walk to Old Town Side from our area - just cross the street by Cheers Bar and walk down the hill to Linda's Bar and turn left - keep walking about 20 minutes and you get to the end of the sandy beach but go up a ramp that takes you to a paved area. Just there, the first 2 restaurants have look out points for the turtles and serve the best Testi Kebab I've ever had but 50 Lire (£22) for 2 - you have probably tried it? It is not a kebab at all but a clay pot filled with chicken or beef and veggies; once cooked they take it to the table aflame and with a hammer; then knock the top off and serve the contents. Really yummy!

Anyway, just keep going along that paved area about 5 minutes and you will come out in the centre of Old Town Side by the Cleopatra. Turn right and you will be at the harbour in 2 mins.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom