Siberian weather here
The last time I experienced minus 15 and thick snow blizzards was in Russia. The added pluses (!) in Istanbul are power cuts (really nice when it's as cold as this) frequently...and a driving wind from the Bosphorous. This place is a no-go area from December to April methinks.

saffie

Saffie
Siberian weather here
Oh poor you........I remember it well.

I lived near Buyukcekmece about 6 years ago and have never felt so cold. Many blizzards and incredibly high winds which made it feel even colder. Lots of icy hills to slip about on trying to do the shopping,arriving home looking like a yeti. I lost count of how many umbrellas I lost which were blown inside out or simply ripped out of my arm.

And the power cuts............once was cut off for 4 days which also meant no water because the pump wouldn't work,no heating,tv..............arghhh!

Thought it was going to be wonderful as had a lovely flat in a complex with an Olympic size swimming pool etc. Moved up there in September and never got to even dangle my toe in the water as it was always blowing a gale. I couldn't wait to move back to Marmaris.

saffie

Siberian weather here
The last time I experienced minus 15 and thick snow blizzards was in Russia. The added pluses (!) in Istanbul are power cuts (really nice when it's as cold as this) frequently...and a driving wind from the Bosphorous. This place is a no-go area from December to April methinks.

I think it's to do with "GLOBAL WARMING".....Isn't it??

Siberian weather here
hmm...not sure why snow and blizzards are to do with global warming. Istanbul is on the same timeline as New York (apparently) and we have nasty long winters but sometimes it just rains non stop. This year seems to be colder and is blizzardy.
Saffie...well, I'd die of boredom in Marmaris to be honest. These resort towns just don't do it for me and I love living in a big city but the winters here are horrid. I've lost over 10 brolleys and counting and could hardly get home because of the ground conditions and the wind is INCREDIBLE. At a certain part of Istiklal where you can see the Bosphorous I was once literally blown off my feet.
For me the worst thing is the power cuts which are way too frequent. We were half the night and the morning without electricity in this cold weather and had several shorter power cuts last week too.

nomaderol

Siberian weather here
At a certain part of Istiklal where you can see the Bosphorous .

I dont know how you are able to see the bosphorus from istiklal/beyoglu boulvard which ends at Taksim.

I lived in Istanbul (besiktas, sariyer, yenikoy, uskudar, kadikoy, etc) for 10-15 years. Istanbul was good in old days, but, no more. It is not a city to be lived anymore. Do business and escape asap.. The weather is always windy in Istanbul due to its nature. Now, strange that there is snow there while we are having sunny days here in western central anatolia. Anyway, enjoy the snow, Istanbul dont see snow much. When a few cm of snow falls it is a big news there while anatolia, especially eastern parts like erzurum have a meter of snow, no news. We call istanbul people as biscuit people.

Siberian weather here
I think I must be talking about the Golden Horn, sorry:) Anyway, the sea is the sea:) Yes, it is always windy here but when the weather is hot that can be pleasant and refreshing. But now....

sasa

Pimp My Sasha!
Siberian weather here
What do you mean by the term "biscuit people"?

I've never heard this said before...You mean they are soft?

nomaderol

Siberian weather here
Yes, "biscuit people" means soft people. Watch news. Where will a cm of snow make a big news? Only Istanbul. In Anatolia, especially in eastern anatolia, we are having a meter or two of snow and no news. Which people will sh*t in their pants just because of a probability of earthquake? Istanbul only. When there is a medium magnitude of earthquake, say 5-6, anywhere in Turkey, open tv news and see they will talk much about probability of an earthquake in istanbul rather than the earthquake already happened elsewhere in anatolia.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Siberian weather here
The winter's lowest temperatures hit much of the country this weekend and are expected to drop further in the coming days, to minus 6 C in Istanbul, minus 12 in Ankara and minus 20 C in Turkey's eastern provinces. A plane crashes into a de-icing machine, killing an equipment operator, at Istanbul's Atatürk Airport, one of around 100 accidents in the city Saturday

Here

C

ChrisBobs

Siberian weather here
Give me the wood soba and boredom of Bodrum in winter any day!

Yes Istanbul gets winter, snow and wind, but it is really rough that you get electricity cuts that knocks out ALL your services- natural gas, water, heating.

Take care out there.....

arrian

R.I.P
Siberian weather here
having recently gone through extremes of weather over here, my sympathies in advance to anyone who may have problems, especially as things like electricity and water are more prone to be affected than here.

SAMIMI

Siberian weather here
My rant for today:
It is really really cold here in Turgutreis on the Bodrum peninsula. I can take any extreme of heat but not cold!
It is only 3 degrees outside now and feels like -10 as the wind is soooooooooooo cold.
When I got up this morning it was only 8 degrees in the living room and the UFO heater had been on last night from 5.00pm until 2.00am, still the room felt life it was outside!
I can see my breath in front of me as I type, yes, when I look out, the sun is shining and the scenery is beautiful. I'll have to give in and put on the UFO soon. I hate to have it on for too long as it dries up the air. I did'nt think January would be so cold. Roll on April. April was perfect last year................

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Siberian weather here
9C here in Gumuskaya with a bit of sun. The electric is going off at least twice a day now.

maggie

Siberian weather here
Here in Akbuk its 5 degrees at the moment.
Temps going down to -11 tonight.
This is my 3 rd winter here and okay its taken its time in comming but I dont think Ive ever felt so cold here.

Hugs Maggie xxx

Siberian weather here
-5 at the moment here. There has been only one 30 min power cut so far where we live which is right on the Bosporus. Everything going along as normal and all main roads are open so not that much of a big deal.
We only get a decent snow fall once or twice every 2 years and it doesnt hang around for long.

Ian

Siberian weather here
hmm...not sure why snow and blizzards are to do with global warming. Istanbul is on the same timeline as New York (apparently) and we have nasty long winters but sometimes it just rains non stop. This year seems to be colder and is blizzardy.
Saffie...well, I'd die of boredom in Marmaris to be honest. These resort towns just don't do it for me and I love living in a big city but the winters here are horrid. I've lost over 10 brolleys and counting and could hardly get home because of the ground conditions and the wind is INCREDIBLE. At a certain part of Istiklal where you can see the Bosphorous I was once literally blown off my feet.
For me the worst thing is the power cuts which are way too frequent. We were half the night and the morning without electricity in this cold weather and had several shorter power cuts last week too.

New York on the same timeline as Istanbul ???, New York is 6 hrs behind !!!.

Siberian weather here
Erm, yes they either made a misprint or I misread it - sorry! It's colder today and they say it will be colder still. Istanbul is very hilly and I have to negotiate the slope to my house either way which scares me. I live on my own and don't want to break anything.

Harem

I've cliqued
Siberian weather here
Erm, yes they either made a misprint or I misread it - sorry! It's colder today and they say it will be colder still. Istanbul is very hilly and I have to negotiate the slope to my house either way which scares me. I live on my own and don't want to break anything.

Especially not the bottles!!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom