Saoirse

Should passengers be weighed?
As airlines get stricter by the week with their unending pursuit of more cash by way of weight=more fuel=higher costs, is it fair that an 8 stone passenger gets penalised for carrying 6kgs of handluggage, whilst a 15 stone passenger carrying 5kgs doesnt pay

Should we weigh passengers?

mrkeith

Exactly, trouble is half the nation wouldn't be able to afford to fly

juco

I think its unfair, although probably unlikely to happen due to some human rights issue.

In any case when you look at what they are doing it is obvious its nothing to do with weight but more to try and glean more money from you, the weight is just an excuse.

Ha ha if the passengers were weighed it might just work better for weight loss than `weight watchers`

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Also what about the return flights Phill.
The British flying back on average is a lot heavier and wider and takes up more room.Will they more likely be penalized for carrying less luggage then the more lighter tourists that will be carrying a luggage full of sovieners.

Strange how they penalize the outward bound,but never the onwrd bound even though the pounds have been piling on while holidaying.But the return price still stays the same

Last edited:

mollag

Kipper restorer
Thin people will say yes, others will say no., notice how deftly the issue has turned from airlines gouging money to its other passengers fault.

Last edited:

arrian

R.I.P
if they wanted an extra £80 from me, i wouldn't bother with hold luggage, i'd just spend the £80 on clothes when i arrived!

mollag

Kipper restorer
What next? the Jimmy Cliteroe and anorexics airtours!
14 abreast where there used to be 5 abreast.

JAYTEE

Weigh people like parcels at the post office and charge accordingly!!

Unfortunately there would be an absolute outcry! Shame because why should my 5 stone son pay the same as a 25 stone person.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Top Poster Of Month
Weigh people like parcels at the post office and charge accordingly!!

Unfortunately there would be an absolute outcry! Shame because why should my 5 stone son pay the same as a 25 stone person.

probably because he sits in the same size seat with the same legroom as th 25 st person

you could argue that if the larger passenger pays more then they should have more room

martin

mollag

Kipper restorer
Charge the larger peeps more, they will then be priced out then the little uns can pay double cos the big uns are not flying.

The costs are worked out statistically to an average figure, you just cant busk it on the day by weighing people before takeoff, the time delays alone would prohibit it.
You could though have a little uns section with smaller seats an stuff and insist they have smaller suitcases, hand luggage and meals, i mean--they are smaller.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
So, if they charge fat people more, do they get a bigger seat?

Ian

hijo

in my own clique
..if they started charging by your weight ..i think that would be fair enough ."IF"and a big IF.my 4 grandchildren are here at the moment ..ages between 2 and 9 years old ..and have to pay full fare...but i am sure the airline companies would find a way around that..:132lm:

Tommie

Sun Worshipper
They should charge people by volume and I don't mean size

You're not suggesting for one minute that the fairer sex should pay more due to the amount they speak?

I think you would be crucified!

It would be nice if people could be charged by weight.
This could easily be done at airports, such as Bodrum, where you go through security before check-in.

However, people have different BMIs for a variety of reasons, some of which are medical and nothing can be done about it.

I recall there was a Liberal MP, before they combined with the SDP, and he was somewhat overweight. I believe he had a glandular problem.
On the other hand, you have the not-so-young guys who walk around as though they are 6-months pregnant due to their drinking habits.

These are the guys who should be charged extra!

Fortunately, I'm on the slimmer side, so I may get a discount.

No, although in principle the idea is good, I cannot see for one moment how it could be possibly implemented. The admin would be far too expensive and I'm sure there would be a public outcry.

Tom

Latest Posts

Top Bottom