Should Hubby Buy a Mobile in Turkey or take old one?
Hello
I have read postings on here but do not really understand them. My hubby has a mobile phone. It works in Spain and Uk. Will it work in Turkey?Or will he have to buy a sim card? Or will he have to buy a new mobile phone to use in Turkey? We are going property hunting(from the UK) and gave estate agents his mobile phone number and we do not know if his phone will work or not out there. He said he could just buy a sim card if it does not work and then call estate agents with his new phone number. But I am reading on here about registering your phone etc. What is the best thing to do? Take old phone out and buy a sim card? Buy a new phone in Turkey? As we need a phone to contact people and for them to contact us. We will be going to Kusadasi and Akbuk areas, Alkinkum etc.

Thanks

civciv

Im afraid that non-turkish Mobiles wont work in turkey even if you buy a turkish sim card. Your husband will have to use his UK Mobile and Sim card as long as he has international roaming it will work here.
I found out to my cost when I came back to Marmaris last week. I'm still hunting around trying to find a way around it (if possible, many things are possible here if you know the right people!!). If not I have to buy a turkish phone.. luckily phones arent much more expensive than in the uk.

jcrian

I found that my UK phone (Orange) worked ok in Turkey a few weeks ago.Automatically logged on to the Orange site in Turkey.

The only drawback any phone calls and charges went via the UK. :307bt:

parrot

I bought a Turkish sim last year which I use when over in Turkey,but with so much on the forum about registration,it will work,it won't work have decided I will wait to go over and try it if it doesn't work I will buy a new sim card,by the way I keep an old phone in Turkey.

bryn

No Active Member
CivCiv two of my clients bought Turkish sims on Saturday put them in their brit phones and presto they worked (allowing the few hours you have to here)so dont know what happened with you, I can only assume you bought your previous sim before november last and it hadnt been registered during the period allowed for that.

So if Hubby buys a sim card he has to register it? What happens if he brings phone out to Turkey and it does not work? Can he just buy a cheap mobile in Turkey? Or should he buy a cheap phone in the UK and bring it with him incase?

bryn

No Active Member
Rachael when you buy the sims now they are auto registered but you have to wait a few hours between buying the sim and trying to use it. Just bring out your phone and goto a phone shop they will sort it out and give you a glass of tea at the smae time.

Fantastic, thanks. I know this will sound silly but is the tea people give you full of sugar? As I have had a blood test and I have high glucose levels and I have to have another blood test tomorrow morning as I may be diabetic ;-((( If the tea has sugar in it I will not be able to drink it. I will not want to offend people either by saying no I do not want it,lol. Hopefully the blood test will come back ok. I also have high blood pressure and am having blood pressure test tomorrow and am hoping that has come down too.

Last edited:

bryn

No Active Member
Rachel you usually get a couple of lumps of Sugar by the side of the glass so no worries there. Hope you sugar level problem is resolved though.

Thanks. I have been eating salads and fruits and been really healthy since my last blood test about 2 weeks ago. Lost weight and feel less stressed too. So fingers crossed. Results will take about 4-5 days.Knowing I am visiting Turkey sure helps my stress levels as I am so excited about coming and so looking forward to it all.

lorraine

Non Active Member
Phones and sugar, must be a connection there somewhere..:crazy::focus:

Rachel as it is a new phone try to remember to bring the receipt for the new phone. just produce this when wanting to purchase the Turkish sim card.

My hubbies phone is not new. He has had it about 3 years. Do not think he would still have the reciept for it after so long. Does that matter?

lorraine

Non Active Member
Not if it is that old, ours was a friends from uk, i unlocked it and put a Turkish sim car in and have had no problems, just take it to the phone shop and they will sort it out for you.

Andywebb

Far be it from me to contradict another members advice! but when in Alanya at the end of Feb '06 I went into a Telsim shop and asked for a sim card for my phone. I did have my receipt as it was a new phone. All they were interested in was my Passport, told them I had brought the phone with me and did they need anything else, no. Seems to depend on the card you buy and the shop. You can always try.

lorraine

Non Active Member
Andy you are totally correct every shop is different, or you could go back the next day and it will be different again especially if not the same sales person.

Receipt if new (because if you dont have it bet you they will ask) passport copies, some ask others dont, with the volume of travellers etc.. coming to Turkey I think they are slowly giving up!

marshchris

all you need is to take your phone to a phone shop they will put a new simcard in and do all your numbers its not a problem only thing is you will have a new number whilst in turkey I live in altinkum ive not had a problem yet then you just buy a sceatch card to up your contours its really cheap
chris

Great advice thanks. We will have to do that. Then ring all the estate agents and just tell them the new number. How long do these sim cards last? For example we come to Turkey to buy a house, then go home and do not use Turkish sim card again for say 5 months. Would it still work after that time? Roughly how much are they?

Thanks

lorraine

Non Active Member
Telsim card does not appear to be a problem, but now with Turkcell you can take a top up card home with you and before you leave Turkey I think that you dial a number and this allows for the raoming facility, do a search of the phones/adsl forum I have put a link on for the Turkcell website it will tell you all you want to know.

aitchij

aitch
can anyone tell me what the cost of calls are with a Turkish sim.at the moment I have a travel sim which is fine but would like to comapre costs.(Scottish you know) lol
while in Turkey we pay 17p a min to any mobile or landline in Turkey, 27p a min to call
uk landline and 30p min uk mobile and nothing to recieve calls anyone calling us just pay the standard mobile rate.The reason we got this sim was for when we were away with work whoever was left at home could call and not cost a fortune.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom