immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Shotgun ownership
What is the law on owning and using a shotgun or firearm for sporting purposes? Is there a licencing system and can foreign residents get ownership?

Ian

Mushtaq

Founding Member
Shotgun ownership
I heard that if you had 50 behives you can own a shotgun (for protection)

madturkishcow

LİVİNG İN PARADİSE
Shotgun ownership
Hi Immac :lol:

As someone who once held a firearms licence in the UK before the 'Dunblane Massacre' I have taken an interest in what can legally be held here. According to my friendly gunsmith as a foreigner with a residents permit I can legally hold a shotgun or BB gun, but not an automatic pistol or rifle, or I guess a.22,.762 etc. :w00t: Compared to the old UK law it is a bit strange as a Firearms certficate in the Uk allowed me to hold anything except an automatic weapon on reaching the age of 17. The age limit was lower for an air gun or pistol. A shotgun certificate in the UK is a seperate license. I will check this out again and let you know the full details.

mkc

Guz1

Shotgun ownership
immac said:
What is the law on owning and using a shotgun or firearm for sporting purposes? Is there a licencing system and can foreign residents get ownership?

Ian

Ian,

Are you about to declare war on the sick birds and stray dogs? :lol: :lol:

Maria.

Shotgun ownership
immac said:

Ian
Why do we find your post rather disturbing Ian!
Only kidding haha!!
Mind you the vision of our Jen tearing around with a twin bore shotgun at night does the same!!

Last edited:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Shotgun ownership
There is a sporting-gun club in Fethiye and, if you become a member, it enables you to get the necessary licences for gun ownership. The short-term solution is to use a gun under the supervision of a Turkish citizen who is a licence holder.

madturkishcow

LİVİNG İN PARADİSE
Shotgun ownership
Hi KKOB :lol:

Do you have any more details about the gun club? I just thought it may be at the end of my garden.........some silly person keeps shooting the pigeons (sorry ringed doves) that roost in the empty apartment above me.....yesterday afternoon I thought the stupid tw*t had shot my window out :crazy: there is never anyone about when I go to investigate so I think it may be kids. If you do have any info about the gun club can you please pm me as I would love to get my trigger finger back to work......
Anne and Tel n Soooo, are you suggesting that letting a mad cow loose with a shotgun is not a wise move? :w00t: You are quite safe I learnt to shoot when I was a young calf.....well over thirty years ago. I may be a bit out of practise but it is a bit like riding a bicycle....once learnt you never forget.......now who is for pigeon pie? :)

mkc

Shotgun ownership
Jen loose with a shotgun? As the world gone mad? Can she not do enough damage with a driving license? lol

madturkishcow

LİVİNG İN PARADİSE
Shotgun ownership
Heheheee David,

Only if the stupid child can not find reverse gear...................... :lol: and you havn't seen me yet with my shopping trolley!!! :crazy:

mkc

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Shotgun ownership
I'll ask Mehmet for some details next time I'm in the gunshop.

kusturk

Shotgun ownership
hell,,,the driving is bad enough,i hope your not considering hunting with them,i dont know which would be safer!!!!!

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Shotgun ownership
I've spoken to my mate Mehmet in the gun-shop and the rules go something like this:

Turkish citizens must have a licence for each firearm that they purchase or own.

They must produce their licence when buying ammunition.

They are permitted to go hunting provided that they have the permission of the landowner and carry their licence for production on demand by the authorities

Non-Turkish citizens are permitted to buy as many guns and as much ammunition as they want.

They do not have to have a Residence Permit to do so.

( Looks like there could be a good opening here for an arms dealer ! :)

They are NOT permitted to hunt.

There is a sporting-gun club based in Fethiye that uses grounds somewhere out on the Uzumlu road for clay-pigeon shooting.

You can purchase a new, mid-quality, 12-bore shotgun for around 500 - 600 YTL. Mid-quality cartridges are about 12 YTL for 25.

These rules are applicable in the Fethiye area ( and in Mehmets shop) , but no doubt someone on here will know something different that applies in their own particular area.

Last edited:

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Shotgun ownership
Great information. Which gun shop does Mehmet own and does he speak English?

I can't believe I have found something that the Turkish Govt has not slapped an exorbitant tax on for British buyers - there must be a catch!

Ian

Freda

Shotgun ownership
I find it very odd that non-Turkish citizens don't need a license and can own unlimited firearms and ammo!! A tad worrying really!

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Shotgun ownership
He owns the one by the Fish Market.

If you were coming out of the main PTT in Fethiye. Go straight ahead, over the crossing ( That's a laugh, eh ?? ). After about 150 metres, take the first turning right so that you're walking along the outside of the "everyday fruit and veg market" with the market on your left. Mehmet's gun-shop is on your left after about 100 metres.

His English is pretty good.

He doesn't open the shop 'til around 10.30 during Ramazan.

Tell him you been speaking to Alan from Kaya Koy.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom