Shot by both sides.
My short(ish) and pompous rant inspired in part by some recent posts.

I have what I suppose is a classic liberal dilemma. And by liberal I don’t mean a social democrat or a libertine. I mean a proper, old fashioned, Guardian reading, I-may-not-agree-with-you-but-will-fight-to-the-death-for-your-right-to-say-it, bleeding heart liberal. You know, the type that has completely ruined the UK.

What is this dilemma?. It’s the obvious one. I am worried about the rise of fundamentalist religion. In the USA it’s creationist christians. And in the UK it’s militant muslims. At the same time I don’t want to deny anybody the right to believe whatever they want and their right to religious freedom.

Now I think the rise of militant Islam is being made a scapegoat for many things by a rightwing reactionary press and has resulted in a worrying rise of fascist organisations trying to build on the successes of the British National Party. In turn the BNP are gaining in popularity due to the way mainstream politicians have lost the faith of the people and the way the left in the UK has lost touch with the working classes.

Having said that I do not want to see Sharia law implemented in the UK, either semi-officially or otherwise. I hate the fundamentalist islamic views on the role of women, gay rights and their religious intolerance.

What do I do? Join with the hate filled, reactionary bigots attacking mosques? Or throw in with the close minded, oppressive religious defenders of faith?

Of course not. I must take the much maligned third way. I want to defend people’s individual freedom of choice while opposing any attempt to impose either side’s rules or beliefs on people who aren’t interested in them.

It’s time to choose sides, but we must remember there are more than two sides. Mine enemies’ enemy is not always my friend.

“Sweet moderation, heart of this nation, desert us not.”

icebern09

Fighting "The Beast"
Shot by both sides.
Im sorry Joe I know I really shouldn't comment on this because I hate politics of any kind, I should leave it to someone that knows what they are talking about
It just seems to me though, that this is an age old problem, it will never go away as long as there are different "tribes" .
I have, in my younger days, stood on a picket line, banged the drums about the unfair things in life, only to realise in the end that it changes nothing.

I am ashamed to say that nowaday's I am a fence sitter and really I find it quite comfortable........... Most of the time......

Firebrand

Shot by both sides.
I don't think that opinions have to be one extreme or the other. I think as a fellow Guardian reader I can safely say that I hate any of those groups that are trying to stir up hatred amongst the disenfranchised - and yes that counts for either side. You would probably find great similarities in their views on women, gays, freedom, etc.

(By the way, the title you chose is probably up there in my top three all time best music tracks!)

ted j

Shot by both sides.
Well Joe, I found out quite a long time ago that it doesen't matter what you believe in, countries leaders have the uncanny knack of pleasing just enough of their population to keep on creaming loads of goodies for themselves, so just sit back. With the world the way it is at the moment, the best attitude is "look after no 1" (by that i mean yourself, your family, your relatives, your friends, and basically anyone else who YOU think is a decent person). Because basically nothing you do will influence anything in this age . The media can be told (in every country) what to report, so the average person always gets a biased opinion of the truth. Oh and by the way, NEVER believe an"experts" view (look up the dictionary explanation of expert) , so just live your life doing the best you can for your"clique" because in the long run, no one else will. Ted

Last edited:

Firebrand

Shot by both sides.
So what do you reckon to "Lipstick"?

Is it OK to highjack a thread if it's your own?

Are we talking Buzzcocks as it is the only one I could find on my Ipod? I think I'll need to go back and give it another listen as I think that they have improved as I have aged! Magazine recently did a mini tour in the UK which I would love to have gone to.

Pop review: Magazine, Forum, London | Music | The Guardian

(I get to combine the Guardian and Magazine in one post!)

Shot by both sides.
Is it OK to highjack a thread if it's your own?

Are we talking Buzzcocks as it is the only one I could find on my Ipod? I think I'll need to go back and give it another listen as I think that they have improved as I have aged! Magazine recently did a mini tour in the UK which I would love to have gone to.

Pop review: Magazine, Forum, London | Music | The Guardian

(I get to combine the Guardian and Magazine in one post!)

I get the feeling no-one else is reading this so we are probably safe.

The Buzzcock's Lipstick has the same riff a Magazine's Shot By Both Sides as Howard and Pete came up with it together before Howard's departure and then they both developed it separately. The two songs sound very simillar.

And his reason for reforming Magazine is brilliant! (There is this woman I want to impress).

Firebrand

Shot by both sides.
And his reason for reforming Magazine is brilliant! (There is this woman I want to impress).

I know, I felt like I really wanted to know what happened after I read this review! Did you ever see them live? I saw them a few times as a young teenager but I suspect that I would appreciate them more now.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom