paulinenewton

Short changed
Just been to the post office to change some sterling into turkish lira - should have got 241.42 but was only handed the 241TL - and when I queried it got the most fierce look of distain. This is not the first time this has happened to me and has also happend to family and friends. The little man behind the counter must be making a fortune! This is a government office - how does he balance his till!!!! at the end of each day. I am not a penny pincher by any means but over a summer these small amounts can certainly add up. I hope I am nor the only one who speaks up when SHORT CHANGED.

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Short changed
I have found that also.....often they don't give small change back, unless it's a large brand name store. I have also seen where they don't ask for small change is some smaller stores, but I am talking only .05 for example. At the old Ankara airport when you bought your visa if you didn't have the exact amount of money you never got any change back....I mean it could be $20 your out of pocket. This guy was making a huge dollar under the table as a government worker. If you didn't like it, no visa...lol
I have found taxi drivers usually round down though.

Biker Bob

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Short changed
I tend to demand the correct change, at least to within 5 kurus, from the supermarkets, government offices etc but at corner/village shops, butchers and chemists etc, I tend to go for a little "swings and roundabouts" attitude.

I most certainly wouldn't stand for being short-changed in a PTT or bank.

ZiaCa'

Short changed
The first time it happened to me at Dalyan PTT I got the same response, but I always check the amount I'm given is correct....there are two guys that serve behind the exchange counter and one of them has a bit of habit of doing that! I wonder how much he's made himself over the years?!

teresa

Free Thinker
Short changed
I have asked for my change as well and the big supermarkets are offenders and must be making a fortune. I was told that it was the reason many Turkish people pay by card - so that they pay the correct amount. I used to get a bit huffy when they used a card for a lolly but now I understand.

jcrian

Short changed
We are lucky that the owner at our local supermarket always rounds DOWN our bill not up.

pebble

Short changed
It used to happen a lot more, remember getting change back in gum or candy or matches? even in migros we would get candy back, i tried to pay in candy (the change part) and they wouldnt take it, i was in one of my fiesty moods and threw it on the counter and said, when u give it to me I dont make a fuss, so dont you make a fuss and i stormed out (a week of self imposed exile that time......)
most corner stores, i jut leave it, it balances out.....i sometimes SHOP KNOWING i have no money on me, and they let me buy whatever and pay later...;and all that change just adds to my credit...and if it doent balance out, im not out for the piddly ass change i leave behind...........we're all in it together.
now government workers....thats another tory, but it is part of the corruption system....... you just have to be prepoared to have the correct amount of change to balance it out.

Short changed
This may or may not influence a persons attitude to PTT people short changing.
The PTT have a policy of employing disabled people or people of special needs. Sometimes it is obvious but often not.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Short changed
I'm all for equality and the right to work. So, I'd expect the same change from an employee of the PTT whether they're disabled, a person of special needs, able bodied, whatever.

pebble

Short changed
I agree with you KKOB, if they are going to be employed, they need rudimentary arithmetic skills.

JimandJulie

Turkey Lovers
Short changed
I have been going to Dalyan for many, many years and before I had a Nationwide Debit card always used the PTT to exchange cash. One of the guys behind the counter has ALWAYS short changed. One of his tricks was to count out the Lira to the nearest 10 below the amount due and then stop and look elsewhere, hoping the customer would pick up the money and leave.If the customer did not then he would count out the rest of the money due rounded down to the nearest Lira. This guy must have made thousands of Liras over the years

Grahampaul

Short changed
I have been short changed by this man many times, I always count out my money in front of him now before I leave and question the amount short, yes he has been doing it for years, He has a nice house in Dalyan, no wonder!!!!

v6cod

Living in Okcular
Short changed
Yet another reason for using a Nationwide debit card :5: it makes life so much easier.

Howell's

Short changed
carrefour ın dıdm is another store where they always short change you by not gıvıng you the small change..
The thıng ıs ın the uk ıd never let them get away wıth ıt, so why do ı here !!!!

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Short changed
I am able to post a positive here, as whenever we shop in Migros, for example they've always rounded down, it's only a few kurus to them but it is a courteous gesture toward us the customers.

kpevde

Short changed
Sorry but I find Crash Tester's response very rude. Everyone is entitled to take time to create whatever thread they like on here and I have read some that are far more unworthy of comment than this one! I agree in a one-off incident .42kurus does not seem a lot but when you use the PTT regularly and it is happening time and time again to not just one but dozens of people it is worth pointing out. In these hard times every penny counts, yes I do feel sorry for people who have lost more but that does not make this thread any less relevant.

I know way back before the lira changed you accepted the fact that small change was given in sweets or not given at all, but with the change in the money that created the small coins, down to a single 1, then that should be given in change. With smaller shops I too adopt the swings and rounderabouts approach as like some others have mentioned I have had goods and paid later on many occasions, but when it comes to the big stores like Migros and certainly official offices then this is just not an acceptable practice and should be shouted about from the rooftops when it happens.

I certainly do not want to give Turkey any unfair/bad press as I love the place but there are things that need to be sorted regarding general unfairness and in some cases corruption to enable more people to feel like they want to visit as well as choosing to live there.

Obviously this has been happening (with one counter man for sure in Dalyan) for some time, and I am sure in many other places too but until we all start to stand up for ourselves and say no more it will continue and the unsuspecting tourists will also continue to form their own bad opinions - so well done Pauline for bringing this to all of our attention and let's hope a few more people - wherever they are start insisting on getting the correct change.

ps the biggest sum I was "not" given was .85kurus (far from just the odd penny by UK standards - which I would not stand for either)

Karen

Peregrine

Short changed
I have been short changed by this man many times, I................... yes he has been doing it for years, He has a nice house in Dalyan, no wonder!!!!

more fool you for going back - I would not go back to someone that ripped me off

Sorry but I find Crash Tester's response very rude - hey Karen, welcome to the forum. Wow, fancy remembering not being given 85 kurus (all of 35p). I bet you are a bundle of fun!

Last edited:

JimandJulie

Turkey Lovers
Short changed
more fool you for going back - I would not go back to someone that ripped me off

Sorry but I find Crash Tester's response very rude - hey Karen, welcome to the forum. Wow, fancy remembering not being given 85 kurus (all of 35p). I bet you are a bundle of fun!
There is only 1 PTT in Dalyan. One has no choice but to go back!

I remember reading that Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. Enough said.

kpevde

Short changed
Thank you for the welcome! :28: I have been a member of the forum for some time and enjoy it immensely - have only just now felt the need to respond - hope I don't regret it. :gulme:

I lived in Dalyan for a few years and now holiday there a few times a year so have used the PTT many a time, as said above there is only one so you do not have much choice - over that time the many "all of 35p's" do mount up - how the heck would I afford the vodka and cherry's that make sure I am a "bundle of fun" if I didn't count my 35p's!!

I love Sainsburys, Morrisons, my bank etc. but if they ripped me off for a penny let alone 35p on a regular basis I would be shouting very loudly so why as Howell's said do I think it ok in my beloved Turkey - it is not ok!

Anyway the point being that people are getting ripped off, we all have choice - you can use your cashcards, etc. to obtain money by other means but do not have much choice if wanting to use the PTT to change money as there is only the one! Message being, make your choice but just take care, count and insist on your change (it is your money), if using the Dalyan PTT.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom