Mig62

Shock horror
I am not one for complaining about prices of drinks/food etc but we have been drinking in Big Bens on the front all winter.A pint of draught beer has been 3:50,okay so far.We expected it to go up once the summer season started and it did, last week it went up to 4tl. Fair enough, "problem yok" as they say! Went in last night,had one drink,gave the waiter 8tl, he said, "price has gone up", I said "Yes I know", He said "now 6tl for one draught"! "Okay I said, It's not your fault but you should have told us before we sat down seeing as we have been coming here all winter and helped keep your boss in business" So all in all beer there has gone up a quid a pint in a week! I know plenty more pubs where they value regular customers and Big Bens is obviously not one of them. Good luck this summer you will not be seeing many expats in there this season.I know things have to go up but talk about cutting your own throat.:)

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Shock horror
I am not one for complaining about prices of drinks/food etc but we have been drinking in Big Bens on the front all winter.A pint of draught beer has been 3:50,okay so far.We expected it to go up once the summer season started and it did, last week it went up to 4tl. Fair enough, "problem yok" as they say! Went in last night,had one drink,gave the waiter 8tl, he said, "price has gone up", I said "Yes I know", He said "now 6tl for one draught"! "Okay I said, It's not your fault but you should have told us before we sat down seeing as we have been coming here all winter and helped keep your boss in business" So all in all beer there has gone up a quid a pint in a week! I know plenty more pubs where they value regular customers and Big Bens is obviously not one of them. Good luck this summer you will not be seeing many expats in there this season.I know things have to go up but talk about cutting your own throat.:)

Happening everywhere Mig.

hijo

in my own clique
Shock horror
..i agree..many of the bars and restaurants shoot themseves in the foot when it comes to running their buisiness...when it comes around to winter again ..even if they drop their prices ..they will find they no longer have their regulars that they depend on in the winter..i have seen a few places like that.. dwindle every year in kusadasi ..because of simple greed..they seem to have the attitude ..that they don.t need your buisiness in the summer because they have the buisness from the tourists in the summer..WRONG..!!!

Last edited:

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Shock horror
..i agree..many of the bars and restaurants shoot themseves in the foot when it comes to running their buisiness...when it comes around to winter again ..even if they drop their prices ..they will find they no longer have their regulars that they depend on in the winter..i have seen a few places like that.. dwindle every year in kusadasi ..because of simple greed..they seem to have the attitude ..that they don.t need your buisiness in the summer because they have the buisness from the tourists in the summer..WRONG..!!!

Very short sighted attitude. Rip off today and bugger tomorrow.

JOHNYH

Shock horror
Yep that's the way it goes soon as the sun shines & the people are about the price goes up, plus you do pay extra just for sitting on the front. If you dont mind the view try 1 of the many venus away from the front. As a member rightly said just shooting themselves in the foot/pocket.

Johnyh.

shehow

Shock horror
haveing been in to altinkum for years and eating in big ben and spending new year in the re some times our party was 13 people spending a lot of money then one night we had to sit at the back out of the way they said i said no il pick my seat but they would not let us so we went to eat in an other plaice never went in again they could not see how much money theyed lost

jaimie

Shock horror
I never rated it that much anyway, and yes they are all sooooooooo short sighted; still their loss....I had the same thing in Celebi's in Akbuk, using it all the time; then suddenly out of the blue the owner decides to rip me off for a meal, (almost charging me three times what it should have been) oh well guess where I never went again, this kind of behaviour is past idiotic; it's really rather sad, still their loss!!!

Reactions: D&A

martin m

Shock horror
Hi
I have to say that unusually for once it does seem to be just a turkish thing, its supported by the fact that builders selling houses in the "slump" put the prices up,its not a knock on the Turkish its just their strange mindset,
martin

ted j

Shock horror
We frequented the everest 2 years ago, but after them trying to overcharge us for drinks, told them to p1ss off and give us the right bill (which the owner had convieniently "Lost")
We paid what we knew we owed and walked off
Fast forward to last year
we were walking past when the owner smiled at us and bekoned us to sit down
I replied with ......."you don't remember me do you , you thick bastard? , We are the couple you tried to rip off last year , now get out of my way and PISS OFF", and brushed past him .
The everest is no longer in business (wonder why?)
Ted

Last edited:

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
Shock horror
Is it me or is it really necessary to call someone names like that? I have been ripped off in Turkey and just walk past. I am always smiling. It puzzles and pees them off much more than verbal abuse :)

supra

Shock horror
One should refuse to pay extortionate prices or at the very least make their views known to the manager. I feel that too many pay up immediatly.

8 Lira is far too much for a resort. It would be slighy below the normal price in a decent establishment in İstanbul or Ankara.

Chinook

Shock horror
I have to say that unusually for once it does seem to be just a turkish thing, its supported by the fact that builders selling houses in the "slump" put the prices up

When I worked in central London a pub we used in winter near to the office off Trafalgar Square always increased prices dramatically on the 1st May each year at the start of the tourist season and put them back down again at the end of September.As for a slump in house sales don't assume that just because the Brits are not buying that there is a slump.

Shock horror
Well with Thomas Cook and Thompson Holidays "diverting" their customers elsewhere, because of the ongoing works on the promonade, this surely is very shortsighted of the cafes and bars on the "front".
I used to use a cafe near me on a regular basis, until one night they refused to make me a coffee on a party night, because they "were too busy". I don't drink alcohol or minerals, and they knew this. I never, over the 2 years of going in there, ever drank anything other than coffee. I haven't been back in nearly a year and I won't be.

Mary.

shırleyann

shırleyann
Shock horror
hı all ı look at thıs forum erery day you never say any good about any bar. people have to make a lıvıng . I own a bar ın Oba Antalya we charge 6tl for a beer we charge the same prıce when we have lıve entertaınment whıch costs us aprox 280tl We never take 1tl from the tıp box and yes we pay personel ınsurance Ithınk some of you thınk we should work for nothıng .Also ı would lıke to know how many people get a dıscount ın your local pub ın the uk.Also the prıce depends on the rent you pay.

oldfogy

Just passing through
Shock horror
Is it my maths?
I think the 8 Lira was probably for 2 drinks, 4 lira each.

Well with Thomas Cook and Thompson Holidays "diverting" their customers elsewhere, because of the ongoing works on the promonade, this surely is very shortsighted of the cafes and bars on the "front".
I used to use a cafe near me on a regular basis, until one night they refused to make me a coffee on a party night, because they "were too busy". I don't drink alcohol or minerals, and they knew this. I never, over the 2 years of going in there, ever drank anything other than coffee. I haven't been back in nearly a year and I won't be.

Mary.
Very shortsighted considering there is more profit in soft drinks and also tea and coffee.

shırleyann;710459 said:
hı all ı look at thıs forum erery day you never say any good about any bar. people have to make a lıvıng . I own a bar ın Oba Antalya we charge 6tl for a beer we charge the same prıce when we have lıve entertaınment whıch costs us aprox 280tl We never take 1tl from the tıp box and yes we pay personel ınsurance Ithınk some of you thınk we should work for nothıng .Also ı would lıke to know how many people get a dıscount ın your local pub ın the uk.Also the prıce depends on the rent you pay.
Ah, but do you virtually double your prices at the start of the season so as to make enough money to then close during the winter period?

ted j

Shock horror
Is it me or is it really necessary to call someone names like that? I have been ripped off in Turkey and just walk past. I am always smiling. It puzzles and pees them off much more than verbal abuse :)

What else should we have done when the owner feigned "No speak English" when we asked him why our itemised (correct) bill had "dissappeared" and a new one with £13 more on it was substituted and he refused to try and explain
People like that do not deserve any respect whatsoever and we made it known out loud (in fact a couple at the next table commented , the lady said to her friend "see, I told you our bill was wrong as well", so they were obviously doing it to a few people
That is theft and deseves no kind of respect
Ted

supra

Shock horror
Call the Zabıta?

If you live full time in Turkey, you should be able to resolve such matters by speaking Turkish?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom