tomc1984

Shipping costs
Often people discuss on here about shipping items to Turkey, read this today, not sure if any good.....
Shiply fantastic

"If you've got something large to move (like furniture), you can use a 'reverse auction' site like Shiply. You simply say what you want shipped, and couriers around the country post bids for the price – you choose the lowest. Delivery companies love it, because it's a way to make cash from the spare space in their delivery lorries. And it works brilliantly.

I used Shiply to get a car shipped to France – the cheapest quote we got from a professional moving company was £700, but on the site we found a company who did it for £300. Bravo! "

L

les&Tasha

Shipping costs
Well you people have everything to learn about shipping your things to Turkey !

The customs system here is extremely corrupt. Turkey is not in the EU. It is not like shipping your stuff to France. You get what you pay for. Under £2000 and you will have to be physically present at the customs house whilst they rifle through all of your things and make a list of items they can charge you for...

Part containers mean your stuff is mixed with other peoples and likely to share their destinations - Some of our stuff spent ONE YEAR in transit. It was shipped to Dubai!

Sell all the things you can. Leave sentimental items with relatives. Pay air freight on the rest is my best advice. If you must ship use the best. Pay Pickfords £3000 for a sealed container delivery door to door service (ie They clear everything through Turkish customs).

Trying to save money here will end in tears!

Shipping costs
Why bring white goods, furniture etc to Turkey. Furnishings from a UK house don't look the same over here, sell your stuff in the UK and buy new when you arrive. Do as we did, we brought personal stuff, clothes, kitchen items, pictures, 500 CD's/DVD's, laptop, various electrical stuff, books and other bits and bobs in 20 suitcases and boxes by excess luggage with BA. No hassle, picked the cases from the carosel and straight through customs.

Sue

tomc1984

Shipping costs
"Well you people have everything to learn about shipping your things to Turkey"
Just thought it might be of interest to someone, "these people" just trying to help!

Harem

I've cliqued
Shipping costs
Thanks, Tomc1984. It is helpful, as not everyone wants to leave all their things back in the UK when they move here. For instance, my husband had hi fi equipment which he would have lost a lot of money if he had sold in the UK and couldn't have replaced with similar over here. At the time we moved over I didn't like much of the furniture which was available in this area. I have to say that the styles have improved since, but still glad I brought my stuff over. We shipped out stuff door to door and didn't have any hassle at customs.

L

les&Tasha

Shipping costs
Tomc & Family,

I was not intending to be rude to you. I was trying to warn you and others who read this thread on the difficulties of importing your things to Turkey.

I tried the same approach; trying to save some, getting several quotes and choosing what appeared to be the best value for money. It ended in disaster!

If you are going to ship your things be prepared to pay for proper door to door shipping. You want your own container (or half) sealed in your presence. Make sure the contract stipulates door to door service without your personal presence at the customs house. Also make sure that a delivery date is PROMISED and backed up by penalty payments. Pay for full value (replacement cost) insurance. This sort of service does not come cheap!

You can hire a van, load it, get on a ferry and drive to your new home in France or Spain. You cannot do this to Turkey. Don't even think about it!
Until you have lived here for a couple of years you don't understand the nature of the bureaucracy. The customs agents I met were driving around in a mercedes - a car that they could not possibly afford on their salaries...

Latest Posts

Top Bottom