Helenm150

Self Raising Flour
Hi there, can anyone tell me if self raising flour is available in Turkey - for making Christmas puddings - and how I would recognise it? Many thanks, Helen :hmm:

Self Raising Flour
Hi,

You can't buy self-raising flour there. All flour is 'plain' but you can add baking powder-It's usually in packets of individual sachets beside the flour-can't remember the name but it's something Toz.

I've baked lots of stuff and it's just as good as self-raising.

Ann

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Self Raising Flour
Yes, SR Flour is available in most supermarkets. It's called Kekunu. Look out for packets in the picture below.

Just a word of warning though. You'll see on the packet that it says SADE. This is Turkish for plain. However, what it means is that the flour hasn't been flavoured. Sinangil also produce SR Flour in Nut, Chocolate and Lemon flavours so make sure you check what you're taking off the shelf.
DSCF4397.jpg

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Self Raising Flour
you can add baking powder-It's usually in packets of individual sachets beside the flour-can't remember the name but it's something Toz.

It's called Karbonat. You need to add a 5gramme sachet to 120 grammes of Plain Flour to make it SR.
DSCF3959.jpg

Last edited:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Self Raising Flour
And if you add a little cream of tartar it becomes proper Baking Powder, but you can just use the Karbonat on it's own if haven't already found the SR Flour as previously described. :hmm:

Most of the SR Flour sold in the UK only has Bicarbonate of Soda / Sodium Bicarbonate added to Plain Flour to make it SR.

Last edited:

Bubskar

Self Raising Flour
Yes, SR Flour is available in most supermarkets. It's called Kekunu. Look out for packets in the picture below.

Just a word of warning though. You'll see on the packet that it says SADE. This is Turkish for plain. However, what it means is that the flour hasn't been flavoured. Sinangil also produce SR Flour in Nut, Chocolate and Lemon flavours so make sure you check what you're taking off the shelf.
DSCF4397.jpg

Went on the hunt for this a couple of weeks ago and there wasn't any left. However, Migros do their own brand (can't supply photo) and it works perfectly. I made turkish pastries with butter. My Turkish neighbours thought I was "Ace".

Today: No Migros brand left but plenty of the above so will be doing a bit of baking tomorrow.

Tony

Self Raising Flour
I use KARBARTMA in plain flour (un) 2 mall packets in about half a kilo of flour, works a treat, sift the flour a couple of times though. After rubbing in the fat/ marge if making pastry mix with a little semi skimmed milk, not water! much better.

Self Raising Flour
You people are making me hungry! Xmas puds..grrrrr...fine time of year I pick to go on a diet:) Not surprised SR flour hard to get hold of here...most of the bakery here is like bricks. What happened to light pastries? The last thing I bought LOOKED like a croissant but you could have used it to build houses or as door stops. Horrible.

Lyndsey

Kalın deriliyimdir
Self Raising Flour
I ALWAYS use plain flor then add a raising agent even in the UK. For the best results yu should try this as you can never guarantee how fresh/old the self raising flour is and the raising agents don't work as well as they get a bit older. For every 125g of plain flour I add 1 LEVEL teaspoon of baking powder.
I use the sachets found in most supermarkets of the baking powder. They come in a standard 10g size and this equates to 2 level teaspoons.

Feel free to read my blog Move over Nigella's Blog as I will be adding recipes for last minute Christmas cake and Puddings.

Helenm150

Self Raising Flour
My friend (co-cook of Christmas lunch for our friends) and I got one of the last few packets of Kekunu Sade (self raising flour) in Migros Turgutreis today -after first traipsing off to Metro and Kipa on the bus - none to be found - bus back to Turgutreis and there it was all the time sitting on the shelf waiting for us ha ha! We did manage to find some mulled wine spices though (so that is arrival drinks sorted) and also what we think may be a nutmeg! We got all the fruit, nuts, spices, brown sugar etc for the Xmas pudding in Acalaan market and we have some cooking brandy indoors. Next problem - suet - now why did we expect to be able to pick up a packet of that here in Turkey? Currently reviewing Rosewall's recipe for rendering down Yag and asking ourselves have we bitten off more than we can chew (pardon the pun)?

Lyndsey

Kalın deriliyimdir
Self Raising Flour
Ooh, they look gorgeous! Do you not get sick of having so many orders for the scones though, Sharon?

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get food colouring and the cupcake decorations from? x

Latest Posts

Top Bottom