Seki
Last week we drove from Korkuteli to Fethiye via Elmalı an Seki.

Between Seki and the Fethiye road junction we spotted a brown sign directing towards (please excuse the spelling) Onianda.

Does anyone know what is there and is it worth a visit?

We will probably go to the highest point between Seki and Elmalı, next Saturday, for a picnic and have a look on the way back

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Seki
Oenoanda is an historical site dating back to the Lycian civilisation. Because of it's position it is largely ignored by the tourists, but I am told it is as significant as Xanthos etc in the context of Lycian history. I also believe it is very large.
The other one which does not get great attention is Cadianda (aka Kadyanda) outside Uzumlu, which is also of great significance to the Lycian period.

Ian

Seki
Oenoanda has some scattered ruins..most notable are the stone writings from epicurean philosophy many of them can still be seen.

Last edited:
Seki
Worth mentioning is that from the nearest village , who's name I have forgotten, it is about an hours walk up the mountain to this site. Well worth a visit, more so than Cadianda, but perhaps best off season a bit. There is a magnificent aqueduct.
Go to Google Earth...
36 Deg 43.54 Min North
29 Deg 32.98 Min East

Last edited:

Jad

Jack Frost
Seki
Apologies for my ignorance but can you please post the google directions again in the format I can cut and paste. I typed in 36 43'54."N, 29 32'98"E and ended up in Mexico !

thanks

Seki
Sometimes a mite daft though. Approach Kaya and you are likely to be directed to "Karlymassos", Karulasis", Carmilosus" etc, etc.... [Off the top of m' head]

I just looked up George Bean on Oenoanda [c1978].
"...the ascent is most conveniently made from the village of Incealiler..."

Last edited by a moderator:

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Seki
I've got three maps of the area and Incealiler is not on any of them around Oenoanda; it may be best to just follow the local signs.
Ian

Seki
Now I looked up Otto Bendorf's map of Lycia [1881] and he shows something like "Incljaalilar" or "Indjaalilar"!
Remember that even when George Bean was here there were no signs at these vilages; George just asked the locals the village name and tried to write what it sounded like in the roman alphabet and to English ears. Likewise Otto a century earlier! [But to Austrian ears]

Jeeze!
I also found "Uludja?" mapped [Complete with the question mark.]
Do what Immac says.

Last edited by a moderator:

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Seki
Now I looked up Otto Bendorf's map of Lycia [1881] and he shows something like "Incljaalilar" or "Indjaalilar"!
Remember that even when George Bean was here there were no signs at these vilages; George just asked the locals the village name and tried to write what it sounded like in the roman alphabet and to English ears. Likewise Otto a century earlier! [But to Austrian ears]

Now it is clear. When he asked the locals "Is Oenoanda up that hill?", they replied "İnşallah!" (God willing), or basically, "We hope so!". He, being hard of hearing, wrote down "Incljaalilar".

Ian

Last edited:

Egwene

Seki
hi!

did they renovate the road to catianda? last summer?
went there last spring after all the rain we had and i turned out to be rahter an adventure as half way half of the road was washed away.

i like driving roads where i don't know where i will end up, put this was kind of dangerous at some point..

melanie

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Seki
hi!

did they renovate the road to Cadianda? last summer?
went there last spring after all the rain we had and i turned out to be rather an adventure as half way half of the road was washed away.

melanie

No, and it's even worse now after the storms this winter.

whatsup

Seki
Hi people

Does anyone know if there is a bus which goes from Fethiye to Seki? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Latest Posts

Top Bottom