KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Sedating Animals Before Flying ?
Here's part of an article from the Mail about the Animal Reception Centre at Heathrow and the advise from it's Chief Medical Officer, Bob Wingate regarding sedating animals for flight.

'Very occasionally, you go to pick something up from the flight and it comes down the belt and it's not moving. You look in the box and you know straight away whether it's alive or dead, and it's a horrible moment.'

And almost invariably it's the result of an overprotective owner who has sedated a pet in the hope of making the journey less traumatic.

'Never, ever drug your animal,' says Bob. 'It lowers blood pressure and so does altitude and it can cause heart attacks. Nothing is worse than telling an owner - it's just heartrendering, and worse because they'll blame themselves.'

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
We were worried about how our cats and dogs would cope with the flight to Turkey and asked our UK vet about tranquilisers. He gave the same advice as above and said most airlines will not allow it anyway. When our pets arrived at Gatwick, they were inspected in their cages to ensure they were not 'dopey'. They all survived their flight with absolutely no ill effects.

Good advice KKOB.

Gin&Tonic

I didnt sedate mine when I came here and they were fine. I brought my Bernese here, I've had Bernese for many years and was told a long time ago to avoid giving him injections wherever possible and use Homeopathic remedies instead and this has worked fine. I have a Homeopathic Book for dogs and I'm sure a lot of the things you can get here, if anyone wants any information let me know and I'll see if I can help.

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Here's part of an article from the Mail about the Animal Reception Centre at Heathrow and the advise from it's Chief Medical Officer, Bob Wingate regarding sedating animals for flight.

'Very occasionally, you go to pick something up from the flight and it comes down the belt and it's not moving. You look in the box and you know straight away whether it's alive or dead, and it's a horrible moment.'

And almost invariably it's the result of an overprotective owner who has sedated a pet in the hope of making the journey less traumatic.

'Never, ever drug your animal,' says Bob. 'It lowers blood pressure and so does altitude and it can cause heart attacks. Nothing is worse than telling an owner - it's just heartrendering, and worse because they'll blame themselves.'

KKOB do they mean if your shipping via the hold or in the cabin? We have travelled to North America several times with our poodle and gave her pills we got at the vets to make her very sleepy. She would sleep the whole trip and because she was so quiet we would sneek her out of her bag and have her on a seat with her pillow and blanket. The attendants didn't seem to mind very much, they might say she should be in her bag but it was more of a (I have to tell you this) statement as they never checked again. I don't want to risk her life in any way though but she would tremble the whole flight if we didn't pill her.

Biker Bob

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Hi theres a company called Doreen Paige they have several products for this type of thing , All herbal remedys i have one called Insecurity Vibrational Remedy . I give this to the corgi on bonfire night and it WORKS !!!! i buy it at crufts but its so well Known they must have a web site . Maybe dooreen Paige animal products would find it , if you cant get it pm me and i.ll send you some , If this laptop was.nt playing up i.d have looked for you

Last edited:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
KKOB do they mean if your shipping via the hold or in the cabin? Biker Bob

I think they're referring in the article to travelling in the hold, but you also have to remember that the pressure in cabins can have an effect on how drugs (and alcohol) can react differently than on the ground.

matty

Hi Bob,
When we bought our standard poodle out last year we used.. D.A.P (dog appeasing pheromone) Natural spray. contains canine appeasing pheromone 2%, isopropanol q.s 60ml.
You just spray it onto their blanket or inside carrier.

Regards.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom