kaplumba

security
I'm not sure if this is the correct section but it's technology so seems OK for here! There have been so many posts on the subject of burglary that it just bothered me a little. There have been a few in Datca but I think not on the scale that you are reporting in other areas. However a Turkish friend was burgled during the night while they were sleeping during my last visit so perhaps it's time to give it some thought. I'm not so bothered about a break in while I am not there, I'm more concerned about one while we are asleep. I don't want to go overboard and up until now I have always made sure all doors and windows were locked at night and we lock our bedroom doors. That seemed enough but I have now bought an alarm. All it will do is alert me if someone breaks in downstairs but I think it will give me chance to get my wits together before he gets to my bedroom door. Hopefully the noise will shock him into clearing off and it may well wake my neighbours. It was just under 10 pounds from ebay and I haven't heard any reports on it but it just seemed to be what I wanted.
MOTION SENSOR PORTABLE WIRELESS ALARM FOR GARAGE SHED on eBay (end time 04-Aug-09 13:16:24 BST)

Spyrogal

Sally from Yali
security
We have also bought a motion sensor alarm and some window alarms for while we are in our villa, with the same intention - that any burglar would be scared off. We had 3 break-ins on our sitesi recently (all at the same time) and it is a concern, especially as we will have our children with us.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
security
It would be interesting to know if the break-ins were mainly in ground floor premises. What I mean by that is would first or second floor apartments in blocks be burgled to the same extent as ground level properties?

C

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
security
We have also bought a motion sensor alarm and some window alarms for while we are in our villa, with the same intention - that any burglar would be scared off. We had 3 break-ins on our sitesi recently (all at the same time) and it is a concern, especially as we will have our children with us.

Did you have a security guard on duty at the time and was it during the hours of darkness

martin

Spyrogal

Sally from Yali
security
Yes we do have security and yes it was dark - some renters had gone out for the evening. I guess they were watching to see who was in/out.

kaplumba

security
Yes it would ceemac. I don't think being above ground level is much protection though. The friend I mentioned was not ground floor. He thought he was deliberately targeted as he had a few successful days with his business. I suppose it's a good idea not to draw attention to yourself with displays of wealth. I have had a few things stolen from my terrace and garden but only when I haven't been there. Just little things like thermometers and lamps etc. I now make sure I take them in before I leave. It seems that at the end of the season people go round to all the holiday homes and help themselves to anything left outside. I had to laugh though when I noticed my missing cactus (huge) in the garden of a house along the road. I don't know how they removed it without hurting themselves.

security
We were broken into a few years back and have now fitted some window alarms (already had bars on the windows which we have reinforced) but still dont feel safe, the problem being, our villa has two downstairs bedrooms and our large bedroom with terrace upstairs. The kids sleep downstairs and its not so bad when the aircon is off as you can hear everything, but when its on in the really hot weather both of us are constantly hearing noises downstairs and lay awake for hours, getting up and investigating.

I know its mostly our imagination but in the middle of the night all sorts go through your mind.

Jane

security
Yes it would ceemac. I don't think being above ground level is much protection though. The friend I mentioned was not ground floor. He thought he was deliberately targeted as he had a few successful days with his business. I suppose it's a good idea not to draw attention to yourself with displays of wealth. I have had a few things stolen from my terrace and garden but only when I haven't been there. Just little things like thermometers and lamps etc. I now make sure I take them in before I leave. It seems that at the end of the season people go round to all the holiday homes and help themselves to anything left outside. I had to laugh though when I noticed my missing cactus (huge) in the garden of a house along the road. I don't know how they removed it without hurting themselves.

I know the person you're talking about Jane; on the same evening another family nearbye were also burgled - both families were sleeping - and about 3.30am my dog woke me by growling really loud (I've trained her not to bark as I don't want neighbour problems!) She was sure there was some-one about and insisted on going out onto the balcony to look. At the time I thought it was something outside but after hearing about the burglaries which were just across the car-park from me I now wonder if the same people were nosing about our building.

The same thing happened last summer and the police arrested a group of people that included women and children who had apparently gone and sussed places out for the men to break into.

Worrying.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom