dejan4

Searching for Turkish song, please help!
Hi there.

A long time ago i saw Michael Palin's New Europe show, and he was in Turkey. He went to some small restuarant in Istanbul and this beautiful girl came up to him and started singing what sounded like a beautiful song. I am wondering if anyone knows what song this was? Can you give me the name? This is the scene where it happened (ok i can't post links but here is a paste)
"I'm in for another surprise in the evening as we visit one of Istanbul's old taverns, known as meyhanes. They are unpretentious neighbourhood places serving an uncomplicated fare of meze, raki and live music. The oldest meyhani in town is the Madame Despina Meyhanesi, which has been in business for 160 years....I'm halfway through a plateful of kidney beans, ratatouille, red peppers, beetroot and a glass of the aniseed-flavoured raki when an attractive woman with long earrings and dark hair pulled back introduces herself and sits down beside me. My hopes rise briefly, only to be dashed by the arrival of the house band, a daunting quartet of violin, drums, screechy oboe and a magnificent multi-stringed zither, which clusters around her as she serenades me with a heartstring-tugging number.

She's called Sevval, she sings in ten languages, and has an English boyfriend called Rupert whom she met on a beach. Her songs are part of an old tradition of classical Turkish music peculiar to the meyhani. "

and from what i remember she said the song is about a man who eats by himself or something like that..

I'd be very grateful if someone knows what the name of this lovely Turkish song is.

Tess

Hi dejan4 and a warm welcome to the Forum, no idea I'm afraid about the song, but will be greatly surprised if someone is unable to answer. Enjoy the forum and the wonderful information you can receive on here.

hi there..welcome to the forum
the lady you are looking for is Sevval Sam..daughter of Leman Sam..who is also a singer

heres a little from ─░MOD...Mini Biography

Daughter of singer Leman Sam, Sevval Sam is one of the well-known faces of Turkish high-society, but not as an actress. Her mother being a famous singer, and her ex-husband being a famous national football player of Besiktas JK. She is also renowned for her striking physical features most notably her dark hair and ice-blue eyes.

dejan4

Thank you for the replies :)

I thought of figured that it would be hard to find someone who has seen the show.

I'll definitely look around here, i might find some other Turkish music i like. I'm from Macedonia you see, and we love anything Turkish :) Actually i have an interesting story, my great great grandfather was a worker for a Turkish beg/bey in the village that i'm from, he helped him work the land that the beg owned, and when the beg had to leave because the empire was over, he gave all his land to my great great grandfather and his brother. I thought that was cool :)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom