rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
search
I know if I want to find something that has been posted on the forum and I am not sure where to find it, then I use the search facility, not always easy mainly because I put the wrong word in, but I do try. I just wish other people would do the same, I have got fed up with trying to be helpful and answering the same question over and over again and I am sure other people have too. So a plea please do try the search facility first.

Moan for the day over

search
I totally agree. Obviously its good to help people with advice, but as you say, sometimes it seems as if you're writing the same advice over and over again. Another example is where people start a new thread announcing what they think is new information, yet had they read the other threads (sometimes only a few hours earlier on the same front page) they would see its already covered. I know we all have to learn, but maybe if people did a bit of investigating first it would be more helpful all round.

Martyn

search
To be fair a lot of people that do this are new to the forum and maybe forums in general so we need to be a bit more tolerant. It can be annoying I agree.

Mushtaq

Administrator
search
If someone asks a question and I remember it being covered already, I try to find it and give them the link to the thread, another handy tip is to look at the bottom of the page where threads matching the question are listed, so the answer might already be there.

Harem

I've cliqued
search
I remember doing a thread on this subject a loooooong time ago, entitled "Is it me?"

search
If you find helping other people annoying, don't answer.

What a helpful comment - especially from a moderator. You have obviously missed the point in an effort to be flippant. I certainly was not complaining about helping people, I was simply saying that its sometimes quite satisfying for people to help themselves, especially if the subject has been well covered in the past. As I also said, people are new to forums but if they have managed to find the forum, they have presumably used search facilities in the past and would probably be able to search on this forum too.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
search
I don't think that's a helpful comment either though.

You're entitled to give your opinion ,and I'm entitled to give mine. ! :wink:

You have obviously missed the point in an effort to be flippant.

I didn't miss the point, I caught it completely. :doh:

There are far too many people on here who are complaining about trivial matters.................in MY opinion.

Last edited:

Guz1

search
Far too many arguments about trivial matters. Rosewall's point was a valid one, not so much because of the inconvenience of repeating answers to questions but because it gives rise to multiple threads about the same topic making search results look like the index page of an encyclopaedia.

Pandora

search
Hi just wondered if you got my message still finding my way round this forum (and computers)Chrissie

McDHibs

search
I think new members use asking a question as a way of introducing themselves as posting for the first time can be quite daunting for some people.

Mike

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
search
I also find that, because Turkish law changes frequently, it's far better to ask a question rather than rely on answers given in old posts.

Guz1

search
Yes, many of us joined because we were looking for answers. I think all the new subforums for various complexes gives rise to some of the duplicated search results because some people seem to read just the posts on their own subforum and then post a query that has been covered elsewhere.

I don't know how the Admin and Mods manage to get order out of the chaos of so many threads about so many topics.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom