bickern

Scotland to switch to driving on the right if they achieve independence
Seeking to capitalise on the arguments this week about "bullying" England and keeping the pound, they will unveil an ambitious scheme to scrap the current – English inspired – road signage system. M for motorway will be replaced with a new S – for Scotland and the A trunk roads will become N roads – for Nationalist in honour of the new country. Blue will be the predominant backing colour.

The scale of the scheme is enormous: Scotland has 2,174 miles of road, including the 273-mile long A9 stretching from Edinburgh to John O'Groats – known as the "spine of Scotland".

It is estimated that 58,000 signs will have to be replaced – scrapping the famous road sign font known as "Transport" with a new Celtic-tinged typeface, Proclaimer. And it could be that they may take the opportunity to renumber all of Scotland's roads, beginning at one.

Independence strategists are believed to have sought advice on the plan from the Stirling University professor of transport semiotics, Lana Gocaireachd. "It's exciting, it gives us a clear difference from the English and is a tangible manifestation of a new, vibrant and independent national," said one official close to the scheme. "A more conscious uncoupling, perhaps."

Speaking on condition of anonymity, he revealed that if the proposals were seen to swing the needle towards the yes camp then the next stage would be revealed: switch driving on the left of the road to the right – from the first day of independence in 2021.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/01/scotland-driving-on-right-independence-road-scheme

juco

Yes and also on this date the pandemic has been declared null and void.

Hilsjw

I'd have thought Scotland would have better things to spend it's money at this worrying time !

Hilsjw

Oh just realised Norman - It's April Fools Day. Well done Norman, you had me going there

bickern

I would have preferred you not to have posted that reply Hilsjw, but yes, happy April 1st to all.

tintagel

The scary thing is Bickern, it is, sadly, a very believable scenario! :hearnoevi

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
I enjoyed this one from the police in Lancashire:-
AprilFoolChorleyPolice.jpg

Sha Hoorsur

On a serioud note. Someone somewhere decided that all the place name signs in Scotland are to be in the Galic as well as English. Same with the word POLICE on the police cars. What a monumental waste of money. How many people in Scotland can there be who can only understand the Galic?

Hilsjw

Sorry Norman - didn't mean to steal your thunder. Hils x

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
On a serioud note. Someone somewhere decided that all the place name signs in Scotland are to be in the Galic as well as English. Same with the word POLICE on the police cars. What a monumental waste of money. How many people in Scotland can there be who can only understand the Galic?

Must be a couple at least ?

Sha Hoorsur

I don't doubt there's a Teuchter or two living somewhere remote in the Highlands who can only speak the Galic, but it's a huge waste of time and money to alter road signs just for their benefit.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom