Camden

Scotland - SNP....What Next

Major gap' between SNP's policy vision and delivery — auditor general​

The Auditor General is a statutory appointment made on the recommendation of the Scottish Parliament. So she can't blame Westminster.​

EDUCATION: Scotland now has worst ever results for science and maths in global PISA comparison of education. Scotland was historically ahead of England but SNP have reversed this.

JUSTICE: Scottish prisons are on the "brink of a safety crisis” according to the Auditor General, due to funding cuts and chronic overcrowding. SNP have cut funding by 12.5% since 2015 with Scottish prison population now the highest in Europe.

HEALTH: SNP missed 6 out 8 of heath targets with key outcomes now behind England. SNP ignored key warnings on Glasgow's super hospital which led to patient deaths from infected water. The 2018 Health and Safety Executive Papers demanded urgent action to protect patients.

DRUG DEATHS: Scotland now has highest drug deaths in Europe. 1,187 people died from drugs last year, triple that of England and Wales, and even higher even than the US - which is in the grip of an opioid crisis.

LOCAL COUNCILS: Real-term cut in funding of 7.6% since 2013/14 has necessitated deep cuts in financial reserves, and more borrowing by councils despite increases in the block grant from the UK. 23 of Scotland’s 32 local authorities are now drawing from their reserves.

CRIME: Under the SNP crime has increased, esp sexual and violent crimes (10% increase). After SNP shut down 125 police stations the Scottish Police Federation said that the SNP has “given up on policing” and committed “an act of policing vandalism”

The SNP argue that Scot Govt is fiscally constrained by Westminster. But public spending per capita remains significantly higher in Scotland than the rest of the UK. Every Scot gets 116 percent of the UK’s average spending per capita, compared to 97 percent in England.

Last edited:

35pluschips

Top Poster Of Month
We’ve only heard what the SNP wants, we’ve yet to hear what they’ll get or be given by Westminster if they become independent.
I’m sure when a full blown debate comes, those questions will be posed from the UK & from the EU.
Why would the EU offer anything about the border that’ll be any different on the Island of Ireland? Will there be checks on goods?

Camden

The clip Pretty Representative of the SNP Government.

SNP Scottish health secretary Humza Yousaf falls off his Scooter ... maybe he is trying out a new SNP policy on how to get patients to AE.... OK now as the British army has stepped into the breech. to help the Nats out, driving ambulances ...

Last edited:
Pretty Representative of the SNP Government.

SNP Scottish health secretary Humza Yousaf falls off his Scooter ... maybe he trying out a new SNP policy on how to get patients to AE.... OK now as the British army has stepped into the breech. to help the Nats out ...

Camden- for a Southerner you really do take a keen interest in our Scottish affairs lol. Unfortunately your Labour and Scottish Labour are not laying a glove on the SNP. Such a shame.

Camden

Camden- for a Southerner you really do take a keen interest in our Scottish affairs lol. Unfortunately your Labour and Scottish Labour are not laying a glove on the SNP. Such a shame.

My sister and her family lives in your fine Country she went up to follow her career in the NHS, also some best mates in London are Scots so I and they keep a finger on the pulse... even partial to some Lorne sausage ..
It's a shame but unfortunately the mea culpa on the Labour Party took the Scottish electorate for granted .... but the Nats aren't the answer.

Last edited:

juco

It's a shame but unfortunately the mea culpa on the Labour Party took the Scottish electorate for granted .... but the Nats aren't the answer.
The SNP are a disaster, just about everything NS touches is a failure, she has divided the country and putting Camdens list in front of ardent SNP supporters they will say it is lies and still vote for them.
There is a lot goes on behind the scenes that the public never hear about.

The SNP are a disaster, just about everything NS touches is a failure, she has divided the country and putting Camdens list in front of ardent SNP supporters they will say it is lies and still vote for them.
There is a lot goes on behind the scenes that the public never hear about.
As anywhere in politics etc. So why do the SNP get the votes they do ? Tories and Labour didn't do much for Scotland over the past 50 years or so. Thatcher's dismantling of Scottish industry and Labour's take Scotland for granted approach made a lot of peoples minds up.

Camden

As anywhere in politics etc. So why do the SNP get the votes they do ? Tories and Labour didn't do much for Scotland over the past 50 years or so. Thatcher's dismantling of Scottish industry and Labour's take Scotland for granted approach made a lot of peoples minds up.

The "but"..... I believe and as seen in 2014 when the Scots elected the Nats to lead the Government... just like today.... The electorate also gave them 69 seats .... even more than today.... but they still voted to remain....

So the Scots as you say who maybe feel let down by the then established parties, now like instead, some of the progressive policies laid down by the nats ..... still don't vote for them, when it comes for their Independence policy.

A vote for SNP isn't always a vote for Independence.

Last edited:

juco

Tories and Labour didn't do much for Scotland over the past 50 years or so
I would prefer to go back to that 50 years compared to whats is happening now under her rule. The people that support her will regret their choice if she ever gets independence.

The "but"..... I believe and as seen in 2014 when the Scots elected the Nats to lead the Government... just like today.... They also gave them 69 seats .... even more than today.... but they still voted to remain....

So the Scots as you say who maybe feel let down by the then established parties, now like instead, some of the progressive policies laid down by the nats ..... still don't vote for them, when it comes for their Independence policy.

What ? Thatcher?

Voters Are Picking Ideology Over Competence on Both Sides of the Atlantic

Voters Are Picking Ideology Over Competence on Both Sides of the Atlantic

Extract:
From Edinburgh to Washington, scandals don’t cost politicians.

The Scottish National Party’s record in government in Scotland is a litany of failures. Yet the SNP continues to ride high on the back of nationalist sentiment, and it seems virtually unassailable.

With elections to the Scottish Parliament in Holyrood—a powerful body that now handles virtually all Scottish affairs save the military and foreign policy, thanks to devolution from the U.K. government—upcoming early next year, the SNP will vigorously strive to keep all emphasis off its repeated scandals and poor record in government, and focus exclusively on separating Scotland from the United Kingdom. That’s an appealing tactic for many Scots, given the state of the rest of the U.K.—but it’s one that, as events elsewhere show, is ultimately counterproductive. And it’s a sign of the focus on ideology, instead of competence, that is wrecking Western politics as a whole.
As have the Tory governments over the past 10 years or so but they are likely to be odds on to be re- elected. Opposition is poor and lifeless all round. What does it say about the UK voting public ?

Camden

The "but"..... I believe and as seen in 2014 when the Scots elected the Nats to lead the Government... just like today.... They also gave them 69 seats .... even more than today.... but they still voted to remain....

What ? Thatcher?

. Sorry you must have misunderstood or answered the wrong post ...because I don't see thatcher come in, in relation to my post above a different era ...

. Sorry you must have misunderstood or answered the wrong post ...because I don't see thatcher come in, in relation to my post above a different era ...
I am referring to Scotland's economic situation from 1970 -
Scotland entered the 1970s facing a shrinking economy, soaring unemployment and rising inflation. It is not that good today but I recall the 70s as being pretty grim from where I was in Glasgow and the local environs.

juco

I am referring to Scotland's economic situation from 1970 -
Scotland entered the 1970s facing a shrinking economy, soaring unemployment and rising inflation. It is not that good today but I recall the 70s as being pretty grim from where I was in Glasgow and the local environs.
It may well have been from a political viewpoint which I had no interest in at the time, however in the mid 60s there was any number of jobs to go for, in 1975 I moved to England and returned 1977 and again no problem getting decent employment. My own personal recollection is life was good and no complaints, maybe my standards were distracted as that was the period where the opposite sex were more intriguing than politics.

Camden

Where was the press bleating when England called the army in during August ? Plus Scotland is ahead in the current covid phase, England are playing catch up

Two wrongs don't make a right ....they should...... maybe unfortunately it took a death before it caught press attention. And we the electorate shouldn't have to wait on press attention or a death before our politicians react.....

Instead of crowing over policy differences north and south of the border ( as she normally does ) , the first minister defended her decision to ask the British Army for support for Scotland’s beleaguered ambulance services by saying: “Such military assistance is already being provided to ambulance services in England.”

So there you have it: when things are perceived to be going well, when there is an opportunity to beat England at anything, the SNP leader is only too pleased to emphasise the difference between Scottish and English policy.

But when her own ministers’ incompetence catches up with her, she is equally eager to cite whatever is happening in England to justify her own decisions.
Consistency is just so 1990s.

The outrage directed at the Scottish Government stems from two particularly horrific cases in recent days. Gerard Brown, 65, a cancer survivor with a history of alcohol-related problems, died in his Glasgow flat, having waited nearly 40 hours for the ambulance crew to arrive.

And in Edinburgh an 86-year-old woman who has Parkinson's, skin cancer and has had two heart attacks had to wait eight hours for an ambulance after falling and breaking her hip at home.

Last edited:

enoch

So another two years of will they won’t they, followed by another few years of should they or shouldn’t they.
Currently from what I can see, it’s only what the SNP expect to happen, we’ve yet to hear or see what other concerned parties will allow to happen. Those parties being the EU and the UK.
Bit like what the UK expected & what the EU allowed over Brexit.
I’m no financial boffin but banks are banks, between the ECB & the Bank of England I reckon Scotland will be pulled from pillar to post.
Unless they have their own currency, it’s not a given that they’ll be able to use the Pound or the Euro once (if) they become independent.
Maybe I’m reading it wrong.
They were told a long time ago that they cannot use the £

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Two wrongs don't make a right ....they should...... maybe unfortunately it took a death before it caught press attention. And we the electorate shouldn't have to wait on press attention or a death before our politicians react.....

Instead of crowing over policy differences north and south of the border ( as she normally does ) , the first minister defended her decision to ask the British Army for support for Scotland’s beleaguered ambulance services by saying: “Such military assistance is already being provided to ambulance services in England.”

So there you have it: when things are perceived to be going well, when there is an opportunity to beat England at anything, the SNP leader is only too pleased to emphasise the difference between Scottish and English policy.

But when her own ministers’ incompetence catches up with her, she is equally eager to cite whatever is happening in England to justify her own decisions. Consistency is just so 1990s.

The outrage directed at the Scottish Government stems from two particularly horrific cases in recent days. Gerard Brown, 65, a cancer survivor with a history of alcohol-related problems, died in his Glasgow flat, having waited nearly 40 hours for the ambulance crew to arrive.

And in Edinburgh an 86-year-old woman who has Parkinson's, skin cancer and has had two heart attacks had to wait eight hours for an ambulance after falling and breaking her hip at home.

About 3 years ago my dad fell out of his care home bed and broke his hip, it took almost 7 hours plus a wait at A & E, that was North Manchester, When I got to the hospital I had to hold him down, I could see the terror on the face of a then 90 year old man with Vascular dementia and Alzheimers with a massive 6' 2" bloke who he no longer recognised as his son pinning him down whilst the doctor put a pain block into him, this was pre brexit, pre covid it was just simply due to cut back after cut back.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom