matty

Scooters
Hi Liam,
Sorry i cannot help with any information regarding places to hire scooters in Altinkum!

But do make sure that your driving license allows you drive a scooter, also crash helmets are now cumpulsary in turkey.

Hope you enjoy your holiday.

Ian

Scooters
Don't think so. Why would a Turk need a proper motorcycle license and a visitor only need a car license?

Biker Bob
If you check the UK license you can drive a scooter, anyway back to his original question, if you know Ataturk Boulevard come right down as your coming to the beach, on your left approx 500mtrs before the end of the boulevard is a scooter shop, they rent them out there c/w helmets.

Scooters
If you check the UK license you can drive a scooter, anyway back to his original question, if you know Ataturk Boulevard come right down as your coming to the beach, on your left approx 500mtrs before the end of the boulevard is a scooter shop, they rent them out there c/w helmets.
Its called SENOL :3:MOTORS

Pete&Mag

Scooters
Check out the Insurance details. I'm sure someone said recently that a lot of companies hiring scooters dont have collision waiver. Any damage and you Pay. Worth checking. Pete

Fleck

Scooters
how long has it been compulsary to wear a lid ? i borrowed our bar mans scoot in july to go n have a look at the ufuk hillside complex without a lid !

Scooters
i was driving my scooter and turned the car where a random spot police check was waiting. anyway handed over my uk licence and registration they had a look rang back to office then gave me back and off i went

Scooters
how long has it been compulsary to wear a lid ? i borrowed our bar mans scoot in july to go n have a look at the ufuk hillside complex without a lid !

Why would anyone not wear a helmet if they ride a scooter?It amazes me that so many people take the risk of riding these machines without taking every precaution they can to ensure their safety.
The local polis were supposed to be insisting that helmets are worn this year.................needless to say,they havent and the accidents just keep on happening

petere

Scooters
your uk car licence only covers you up to 50cc as in uk-normaly the police will not bother about that but if you have an accident thenthe trouble comes as any insurance becomes invalid including hospital insurance and holiday insurance also in extreme cicumstances medivac to the uk will cost around £50000 also not covered by insurance,
also you will be done for driving with no licence and no insurance.
as most of the hired scooters are 90 to 125 cc you need full uk m/cycle licence

Scooters
You wouldn't think it was law to wear a helmet never seen anyone that did when I was over in August. Saw a Turkish guy with a cap on and his Mrs riding side saddle on the back with her veil etc on through the busy traffic in Altinkum. I saw a new shop next to Migros with bikes in not sure if these were just to buy or for rent. I would love a little scooter just for pottering around Akbuk don't think I would chance riding to Altinkum though

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Scooters
The following information was posted on another forum just a couple of days ago.

Just spoke to our police neighbour regarding the like for like and he phoned his friends in the traffic police for me.
Whatever is on your UK licence counts the same here. He also said that if i am on a tourist visa i should carry my passport at all times and if on a residency then i need to carry my visa at all times (as well as my licence).

So if you've got A or A1 on your licence you should be ok. The "p" is for mopeds upto 50cc but that's not an international thing according to DVLA so i'm not sure if you'll get away with it or not, here is the quote...
"The letters in capitals show the categories of vehicle you can drive according to the European Community Directive. The smaller letters show the national categories of vehicles you can drive."

A further post from another member says :

On a U.K. license,it is a provisional entitlement. Turkey does not have provisional licenses. So legally you are not licensed. However, the police here seem to be a bit confused on this issue.

Last edited:
Scooters
Is a paper license ok or do you need a new type with photograph im still on the old type. I did my PPL test to drive a 50cc but not sure if it says on my car license or not. Not sure about those potholes in Akbuk roads either

The following information was posted on another forum just a couple of days ago.

Just spoke to our police neighbour regarding the like for like and he phoned his friends in the traffic police for me.
Whatever is on your UK licence counts the same here. He also said that if i am on a tourist visa i should carry my passport at all times and if on a residency then i need to carry my visa at all times (as well as my licence).

So if you've got A or A1 on your licence you should be ok. The "p" is for mopeds upto 50cc but that's not an international thing according to DVLA so i'm not sure if you'll get away with it or not, here is the quote...
"The letters in capitals show the categories of vehicle you can drive according to the European Community Directive. The smaller letters show the national categories of vehicles you can drive."

A further post from another member says :

On a U.K. license,it is a provisional entitlement. Turkey does not have provisional licenses. So legally you are not licensed. However, the police here seem to be a bit confused on this issue.

Scooters
If you live n Turkey,would a UK licence cover you?
I wouldnt have thought so as Turkey isnt in EU either.
Be careful if you choose to ride without a helmet...............any insurance cover expects you to have been wearing one and if you claim and found not to have been doing so,your insurance is invalid.
Have you not noticed the helmets strapped to the parcel shelf on scooters?It is a legal requirement that is not being enforced as it should.......................would anyone in UK not wear their helmet??????And the roads and drivers are so much safer in UK than here

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Scooters
Seems to me you all offer the facts on this license issue but most differ. If I were someone interested in hiring a scooter in Turkey I would tripple check to make sure your license is actually legal and valid in Turkey. Just because the police pulled you over and let you go does not mean your legal, could mean they don't know English and it's not worth the bother to the can't read your english license and just let you go as they know the next Turkish rider probably will be breaking a violation. You DO need to wear a helmet, that law has been around for a few years now, just not enforced all that much, some police ride without one so there you go. When you rent a scooter in Turkey you have ZERO insurance. If you crash, even if it's not your fault you just bought yourself a wrecked scooter, if you lived to be able to do it. As you don't have insurance your not supposed to be on the road so any accident your involved in would be YOUR fault and you would be responsible for ALL damages or medical claims. It's simply not worth renting a scooter.

Biker Bob

Akbuk Rob

Scooters
Wearing a crash helmets on a bike is certainly safer if you have an accident. However here in Turkey temperatures reach well into the 40’s C in the summer. The heat build up in a bin could cause you to pass out. So to those who say this law should be enforced more vigorously, I say try wearing for an hour in August on the west coast of Turkey, see if you can stand it. This ain’t Britain.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom