jdb

Schools in and around the Side area
Dear all,

I am a new member to the forum and would welcome any information on schools.

As a family we are looking at the possibility of settling in Side.

We own an apartment and would like to know about the possible options available for educating our three children. They are aged 3, 7 and 9. If you know anything about creches, primary schools, state or private in the area of Side I would be very grateful.

Thank you all in anticpation

jdb:)

luddendenturk

The Very Fat Sailor!
Hello jdb,

Welcome to TLF.

Can't help with your particular enquiry, but someone will be along shortly.

If you put 'school' in the Search box at the top of the page, you will find lots of info on previous threads.

jdb

Hi all,

managed to sort creche and still deciding which schools to send eldest two kids too.

Thanks for pms

JDB

angelaturkey

Days On The Beach in Side
There is an excellent internatıonal school in nearby Manavgat. İ always ask my bank manager here his opinion on these matters - the local biliınqual speakers like him normally will give you the best advice.

L

les&Tasha

Angela,

Please can you post or PM me contact details for the school in Manavgat. Is it a proper international school (i.e. Is ALL the teaching in English) or is it like Baskent or TED college where teaching is in Turkish but there is 8+ hours of English teaching a week.

This is important as the English teaching in Turkish private schools is of little use to native English speaking children. Learning to speak Turkish is far more important.

The closest proper international we know of is in Izmir and the fees are £15,000 per annum+ per child. Beyond our means.

Tasha

angelaturkey

Days On The Beach in Side
Later in the week when İ go to the bank İ will ask my Bank Manager for you. İn the meantime - does this help - [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_high_schools_in_Turkey]List of high schools in Turkey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] - and Manavgat schools are listed there ...

L

les&Tasha

Thanks for your reply Angela. The Wiki page is a good general reference but NO public school in Turkey can be defined as an "International" school.

Certain public schools (and a greater percentage of private schools) emphasise the teaching of foreign languages (German and English) However this is akin to schools in the UK teaching French...

If you are moving your family to Turkey I think you must accept that teaching will be in Turkish and the quicker youyr children learn the language the better.

If you want to remain an expatriate family and send your children to international schools you or your employer must have deep pockets. You must also live in(or near) to a major city (Istanbul,Izmir etc) A cheaper alternative is Cyprus but the political situation there makes property investment a dicey business.

All the best - Tasha

jdb

Hi Les and Tasha,

there are two private(public) depending on you your view of schools in and around Side that we know of to send your kids to:-

managvat college and Basari college, both are similar in price and as always can be reviewed!

We are out from December and are sending are two eldest to one of these schools, with our youngest attending the new creche in Side. The cost is very affordable and for all three is less than the childcare we pay for our youngest at nursery currently.

The schools teach in turkish, but do study german and english as foreign langs, the age range is 7-14yrs.

hope that this helps

jdb

mickeylove

Hi Jdb

I looked at the new Side creche twice now and it is the best I have seen so far my daughter is only two but she needs some contact with other children we are thinking of sending her to the Side creche end of November for three half days a week to start they also have english speaking teachers.

Good luck with your move apparently within 3 months the children are usually fluent at school, and my 2 year old now completely understand english and turkish and just starting to speak in both languages mixed up together. Puts me to shame!

regards

mickeylove
Gerry

Ricey

hi , we live in Side and have done for 3 years now . Our daughter (10) goes to private school called Manavgat College.Its a great school and goes from an early age right up till they leave school so theres no changing of schools ect like the uk. It really is a great school and our daughter is doing really well . The lanuage comes fairly quickly for the young ones its just us who struggle. She get picked up and dropped off via the school bus so its all door to door . Any questions please ask away as we will help if we can. Take care , Steve

Latest Posts

Top Bottom