Helenm150

Scart connections
Hi, can anyone guide me with connecting sky box (my aerial source) to Humax recorder and TV. I have tried every permeatation of scart connections. Best I have managed is scart leads in both tv and vcr sockets on sky box, one scart going to vcr scart socket on Humax and other one to TV. This gives me the option of watching tele with the sky box switched on or if I turn the sky box off I can operate the Humax but only as far as watching stuff already recorded - but it hasn't stored any channels and when I try to search for them through the install mechanism it can't detect a signal. I guess I need the sky box turned on (as aerial source) but if I turn it on then the Humax is not operatonal. I have played around with every permeation of aerial and scart connections between the 3 pieces of equipment but to no avail. Can anyone please help? Thanks, Helen

McDHibs

Scart connections
Your Sky box has an aerial in and two aerial outs RF1 and RF2 connect the main aerial cable to the sky box in and then another cable from the RF1 on the sky box to the aerial in on the Humax box. You dont need to have the skybox on as standby is fine it has a passive signal passthrough to allow conection to another source ie your humax box. sounds like you have the scarts ok or you could scart both boxes directly into your tv and just switch between inputs depending on what system you want to view.

Last edited:

Helenm150

Scart connections
Many thanks, looking at the RF1 outlet on the sky box I see it has a pin in its centre - so do the aerial connections I have (which are the type you would put into a wall tv aerial socket) - so I can't connect - do I have to purchase a different type of aerial? Helen

Helenm150

Scart connections
Your Sky box has an aerial in and two aerial outs RF1 and RF2 connect the main aerial cable to the sky box in and then another cable from the RF1 on the sky box to the aerial in on the Humax box. You dont need to have the skybox on as standby is fine it has a passive signal passthrough to allow conection to another source ie your humax box. sounds like you have the scarts ok or you could scart both boxes directly into your tv and just switch between inputs depending on what system you want to view.
problem - the main arial - the sky aerial that comes out of the wall will only connect to the (dish input) connection not to (aerial in) - what do I need to connect to (aerial in) on the sky dish?

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Scart connections
if you mean the sky box aerial input, you need a normal aerial

martin

Helenm150

Scart connections
don't think I have one then - just the screw type connection that goes into the sky box aerial input - I can connect to sky tv OK - but as it is not sky plus cannot record anything which is why I was hoping to be able to connect up to the humax box ......

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Scart connections
in that case you can only record what you have your sky channel set to

martin

Helenm150

Scart connections
doh! spoke to previous tennat - she said she had been able to connect up to a video recorder - hard for her to recall the set up but seemed to be same as me - except she did say she had TWO scart leads on her tv whereas I have only one - at moment I have tv scart connection on humax going into the one and only scart connection on the tele, maybe if I had a second scart connection on tv or a hub seeing as I don't and were to connect vcr scart connection on humax to the second scart connection on the tele via a hub that might replicate her set up and enable me to be able to use the humax as normal?

McDHibs

Scart connections
Helen

It looks like you only have a dish and no aerial am I right. If so is the Humax box a freeview box or a freesat box if its a freeview box sorry to say you will need an digital aerial fitted to make it work. If its a freesat box you will need another 2 cables run from the skydish one for viewing and one for recording but I'm afraid it doesn't stop there as you will more than likely have a single connection on you dish so the bit on the end where the cable connects (its called an LNB) will need to be swapped out to allow more connections. Either way its not cheap Digital aerial fitted on the roof should be around £180 and a couple of cables and a quad LNB should be around £120 fitted but I live in London so you may be able to get it cheaper.

Hope this helps

Helenm150

Scart connections
Thanks - yes the Humax ıs Freevıew. I am ın London also - the Sky connectıon ıs communal - to a block of flats - sounds as ıf the best ıdea wıll be to upgrade my box to Sky plus ......

McDHibs

Scart connections
Thanks - yes the Humax ıs Freevıew. I am ın London also - the Sky connectıon ıs communal - to a block of flats - sounds as ıf the best ıdea wıll be to upgrade my box to Sky plus ......

Hi Helen

Please remember that you need two cables from the dish for Sky+ as it uses one to record and one to view. Most communial systems only offer one cable from the dish.

Glad I could help.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom