ChrisBobs

Scarf or the ' limp and bell'
Had to take this up off another thread ( re working foreigners)
Lara said
"Also, many muslim women don't actually wear scarfs, and other than the limp and bell, look like anyone else..."
The penny has dropped Lara- am I right? We have a bit of ole rhyming
'the limp and bell'= the wimple ?

Actually most Turks consider wearing a woman wearing a wimple (the tight hair restraining cloth/ elastic cap over the head ) underneath a scarf, as making a clear political , and pro-Islamic statement.

Hi Chris..the tight cloth over the hair is used to stop silk scarves from slipping.
My sister in law uses one and she isn't politically minded, it keeps her scarf in place.
(like the towelling fitted sheets do ..they stop the top sheet wandering )

Although the very tight scarves that women like the leaders wives are wearing are definitely a political statement now and very much a role model for young women..and more in evidence than just a few years ago as İ'm sure you will have seen.

Bubskar

(like the towelling fitted sheets do ..they stop the top sheet wandering)

Hey Shirley now that's the kind of thing we need in the "Tips Forum". What a great idea. My fitted bottom sheets are never tight enough to stay in place and by the morning, I end up with a lumpy creased mess in the middle of the bed.

I've never liked the look of those towelling sheets thinking they would not be nice to sleep on (remember the old nylon bedding yuk) but now I see that they could serve a purpose. Thanks for the tip.

Harem

I've cliqued
We seem to have gone way off topic and STILL don't know what the wimp and bell is?? Come on Lara, give an explanation please

(like the towelling fitted sheets do ..they stop the top sheet wandering)

Hey Shirley now that's the kind of thing we need in the "Tips Forum". What a great idea. My fitted bottom sheets are never tight enough to stay in place and by the morning, I end up with a lumpy creased mess in the middle of the bed.

I've never liked the look of those towelling sheets thinking they would not be nice to sleep on (remember the old nylon bedding yuk) but now I see that they could serve a purpose. Thanks for the tip.

Hi there..in fact this is how Turkish women use them..and they are great for keeping the sheets on..saves making the bed ..haha

As Harem says we have come a long way off topic ..but İ think that Chris got it right and its rhyming slang for wimple..albeit a bit weird.
the tight wrapped headscarves are almost the same as the headgear that women wore in europe in the Middle Ages and were called wimples..as is a nuns headgear (the nuns song in sound of music ...''and underneath her wimple she has rollers in her hair..how do we solve a problem like Maria'' ).. and dont get me on about nuns as i went to a convent school where the teachers all had stupid wimples. .and now thats waaaayyy off topic.

Last edited:

Firebrand

Ahem. I think that as well as keeping the outer scarf in place, Muslim women wear something underneath as to be in keeping with Islamic practice you should always have two layers of cloth.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom