ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Saving Bandwidth
I realise that bandwidth is an issue and it's important that lengthy and needless posts are eliminated as much as possible.

May I suggest that the 'Quote with Reply' facility is removed to help with this?

You still could copy and paste if you feel it's necessary to have content from another post included in your reply, but it would remove the simplicity of just clicking on a button which includes the whole post to which you want to refer. It would also lighten the work for the mods.

Maybe this isn't possible I don't know?

C

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Saving Bandwidth
There's absolutely no need to remove the facility. All it needs is for members to use it sensibly.

Even if you press quote you can still edit the post in your reply, so that only the relevant part of it appears as a quote. Just as simple as copying and pasting.

Helenm150

Saving Bandwidth
Ceemac - I agree - especially when it is a really long post that is copied in Quote with Reply - why not just copy and paste the salient points? Regards, Helen

Helenm150

Saving Bandwidth
Please don't explanation mark me KayaKoyuOldBoy- I am not in the mood ... why don't you stop jumping down people's throats and show some forum etiquette yourself instead of demanding it (as in the thread link shown below) - especially to a new member - not a welcoming first impression of TLF is it - no wonder they are going to de-register - and what a shame - someone with something interesting and informative to say:

http://www.turkishliving.com/forums...322-turkey-s-education-system-collapsing.html

gerald

Saving Bandwidth
I think that the point is those who are familiar with how to use forums will use the quote button and delete any unnecessary text before sending a reply, those who are less familiar will resend the full quote.

If there was no quote button then I suggest it is more likely that posters will only copy the necessary text into their reply, thus reducing bandwidth, which was the title of the thread.

Why bother reducing bandwidth? Ask a mobile or dialup user....

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Saving Bandwidth
Helenm150

!!!! You're obviously reading something in my post that wasn't said !!!!

I've never jumped down anyone's throat in my life ! :lol:

Why bother reducing bandwidth? Ask a mobile or dialup user....

It's not a case of reducing bandwidth Gerald. It's about making the best use of the available bandwidth.

Last edited:

Helenm150

Saving Bandwidth
Don’t… over use ‘importance’. Before you even consider using an exclamation mark, ask yourself is this really important? Only use when it is vital, otherwise you are drawing unnecessary attention to yourself and it is a quick way of irritating recipients.

Helenm150

Saving Bandwidth
Sure Molly, we all do it - but iro KKOB - I am not home to Mr Rude:

Re: Turkey's Education System Collapsing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaKoyuOldBoy
And, you are who ?

You might get a more positive response to this post if you take the time to introduce yourself in the appropriate section of the forum. (KKOB)

Why should I care whether I get a positive response? I was just giving you some information I thought you might be interested in. Sorry for breaking the netiquette, but if this is the snooty way I get asked to watch my ps and qs I shall be happy not to post any more and delete myself from the system. (New Member)

Martyn

Saving Bandwidth
I think the quote facility is needed and as said just needs to be used the right way. As KKOB says the quote can be edited to just refer to what you are answering. As a general rule if the post you are referring to is the one directly above yours(or below in my case) you don't need to quote but if the post you are referring to is say three posts back it can become quite messy but not using the quote. Hope that is clear :wacko:

Molly Kaya

Top Dog
Saving Bandwidth
I read KKOB's original post and it had a :wink: at the end of it. I didn't think he was being rude !

Anyway, what's wrong with using ! as emphasis ?

Martyn

Saving Bandwidth
It's funny how you don't see Molly Kaya and KKOB on the forum at the same time, bit like Superman and Clark Kent :smile:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Saving Bandwidth
I wish someone would let me out of this bloody phonebox for a few minutes !

mikehibb

Saving Bandwidth
Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, however I thought that the size of posts with or without long quotes has a relatively small impact on band width.( It is just text)
Photos and animated advertising does however have a bigger impact, also avatars that are incorrectly set up will also have an impact.

I do agree that people should edit quotes though, so that they only quote the parts that are relevant to the reply, makes it much easier to understand.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom