rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
sandwich fillings
I don't know about other people but we find most of the cold meats, cheese etc here in Turkey are very bland and as we like a sandwich for tea most days we have found a way around it.
I mostly buy my meat from Kipa and keep my eyes open for reduced chicken, I find for sandwiches the chicken breasts on the bone are excellent for sandwiches and meals but has anyone else noticed that very often in Kipa they have special offers on good quality meat especially beef. This week we got some really good quality beef for just over 19tl per kilo which in actual fact works out at about £3.62 a pound. Also they really do not seem to know what to do with Brisket in fact it seems to me that all they want to do with meat is mince it. Cooked the beef slowly and let it cool and then put it though the food processor with the slicing attachment and there I had top quality cold sliced beef just slightly pink
Did try to put the chicken through the slicer and a bit of disaster but still made nice sandwiches.
If anyone else has ideas for sandwich fillings please let us know them.

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
sandwich fillings
this is a real problem for me as a veggie, there are only so many salad sandwiches one can eat and as the cheese here is not veggie friendly I really struggle, I make my own hummus and spicy bean spread but i would love to be able to go to the supermarket and pick something off the shelf, I used to buy swiss yeast pate from Holland and Barrett and it is divine (now that has all you meat eaters salivating doesn't it?)

hmmm brie with celery and grape, stilton and apple..............lovely

mafalda

sandwich fillings
rosewall1! turkish cheeses are not bland! a good eski kasar is delicious, as can be different beyaz peynir (from either cow’s or goat’s milk - soft or crumbly…), probably best not bought in a supermarket, but from a good cheese stall at a weekly market. i bought a great “erzincan white cheese” at the market in mugla and would consider this alone a reason to make another trip there when next back in the vicinity.

a possible tip for bland cheese: in jordan, they put black cumin seeds in their “diet” cheese - transforming a very, very bland cheese into something quite edible.

there is of course also pastirma and sucuk… mmmmm.

afiyet olsun

maggie

sandwich fillings
Egg mayonaisse,tuna, or try making your own pate as Nik does from chicken livers.

And you cant beat a nice fried egg butty.

There are also cheese triangles that are lovelley in a salad sandwichand there is spready cheese in a tub lovelley with a bit of onion,

Bland sandwiches not in our house.

Hugs Maggiexxxx

waterbaby

sandwich fillings
One of my fave sarnies......Cheese , crisps and marmite yummmmm. Or a nice cornedbeef cheese and pickle. double yumm.

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
sandwich fillings
When we are over in Turkey I buy a packet of Pastrami Beef, (sorry I forget the Turkish name , but know it when I see it), and the Beyaz Peynir cheese is delish and buy the crusty bread and a bit of salad stuff with it and what a tasty sandwich that is.

Tess

sandwich fillings
Mashed boiled egg, finely cut spring onions (scallions over here) or finely chopped onion and mix together with salad cream, salt and lots of crushed black pepper, makes a fab sarnie!!!

sandwich fillings
Mashed boiled egg, finely cut spring onions (scallions over here) or finely chopped onion and mix together with salad cream, salt and lots of crushed black pepper, makes a fab sarnie!!!

We cannot get SALAD CREAM here.Only MAYONNAISE.:hurt:

sandwich fillings
Tess
That is my all time favourite sarnie mix except I prefer mayonnaise.

I also make it to go with salad. Yum yum.

Soo x

Tess

sandwich fillings

Dave, :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:fear not you can get Salad Cream, do you know the shop at the bus stop in Altinkum, you know the one with the lottery, the lovely flavoured turkish delight and the cigs and spirits, it has a bread stand outside as well, just before the shopping centre.
They now have Heinz Salad cream I saw it in July.
Also the new shop on up beside the Bistro, the wee cash and carry one, not the Bistro behind Golf Bar - they also do Salad Cream, and lots of things you guys have missed from your favourites, so Dave you're sorted!!!! :ukflag:

Get the eggs boiled, good bunch of scallions and Bob's your uncle:thumbup:

After all that ramble Dave - You are in Altinkum are'nt you ????????????:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Tess
That is my all time favourite sarnie mix except I prefer mayonnaise.

I also make it to go with salad. Yum yum.

Soo x

Soo, another lovely thing with salad, boil your eggs, let them cool, cut in half, take out the yolk, mash in a bowl and add finely chopped mushroom, and a good crushing of black pepper, mix with salad cream or mayo and spoon them back into the egg again, posh boiled eggs with your salad !!!

One of my Mums fave fillings in a sandwich is Mars bar and apple, and I like cream cheese and mandarin oranges on lovely fresh crusty bread, can't think of anything else at the mo!!!

Nothing beats a big slab of fresh bread, lashings of butter and lovely jam - doorstep and jam!!!
Which reminds me why I go to slimming world :hurt:

Whoops sorry mods, back to back post, merge for me plz!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
sandwich fillings

Get ya'self down to Fethiye mate, we've got a shop that sells Heinz Salad Cream and most other stuff that you crave ! :3:

(BTW Everyone. Tugcem Gida have a special offer on Bisto Gravy Granules. They've got the 170g pots in Chicken, Beef, and Onion flavours for 5.50 TL each.)

I've just put a pot of liquor on for the pie, mash 'n mushy peas we're havin' later ! :roundgrin

Last edited:
sandwich fillings
Our kids like the round wraps, the ones you can buy from the supermarket with a resealable top, put one in a dry frying pan and put some cheese on top with a bit of onion or tomato what ever you fancy, and put another wrap on top cook over a medium heat for a few minute until slightly toasted and then flip over to do the same on the other side, slide out of the pan and cut into wedges.

Jane

zozatky

sandwich fillings
Heinze sandwich spread GREAT..But if you are adventurous try doing it yourself hers how.

Sandwich Spread
8 medium garden green tomatoes
8 mediem green garden cucmbers
6 medium garden white onions ( not spring onions)
2 green peppers
2 sweet red peppers
3 tsp salt

Place vegies thru corse chopper and place in bowl and sprinkle with salt
let stand 8 to 10 hours.
Drain well and place in saucepan.
Barely cover with white vinegar, and bring to a boil.

Combine in a bowl and mix well.

1/2 cup butter
1 to 1 1/4 cup white sugar
4 beaten large eggs
2 tbsp flour
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons celery seed place in a small pouch or bag, to be removed later.

Add all this mixture into the simmering vegetables and cook until thick, stirring all the time.

Remove the celery seed bag.

Pour the mixture into sterilized jars and close to seal. will keep up to 1 year sealed its not a million mile away from the real stuff..!!:roundgrin:roundgrin:roundgrin

This site is great for all fillings & spreads .

Sandwich and Spread Recipes - LoveToKnow Recipes

Last edited:

zozatky

sandwich fillings

So the next best is make your own.

Mrs Beetons original recipe.

1 Hard Boiled Egg
6 tbsp Cream
2 tbsp Vinegar
1 tbsp Salad Oil
1 tsp Prepared Mustard
½ tsp Caster Sugar
¼ tsp Salt

Remove the egg shells, and pound the yolk in a mortar to a smooth paste.
Add the other ingredients, except the vinegar, stir well until thoroughly combined.
Pour in enough vinegar, a little at a time, to make it the consistency of cream.
The mixture will then be ready for use.

Note: In making salads, the vegetables, etc, should never be added to the sauce very long before they are wanted for table; the dressing, however, may always be prepared some hours before required.
Where salads are much in request, it is a good plan to bottle off sufficient dressing for a few days’ consumption, as, thereby, much time and trouble are saved.
If kept in a cool place, it will remain good for 4 or 5 days.

One thing Turkey has is an abundence of is Fruit n Veg. And one thing my better half is great at is cooking so Pickling & Preserving comes second nature our house is full of jars with various goodies that before we just went to ASDA for if we cannot buy it we make it .

Last edited:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
sandwich fillings
Our kids like the round wraps, the ones you can buy from the supermarket with a resealable top, put one in a dry frying pan and put some cheese on top with a bit of onion or tomato what ever you fancy, and put another wrap on top cook over a medium heat for a few minute until slightly toasted and then flip over to do the same on the other side, slide out of the pan and cut into wedges.

Jane

We've just tried that with Red Leicester Cheese, a few splashes of Worcestershire Sauce and a bit of salt ' pepper. Bloody 'ansome ! :peace:

tjd

sandwich fillings

Jane

Sounds like a Mexican Quesadilla to me. Superb for lunch.

Haven't had them for a while - thanks for reminding me.

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
sandwich fillings
Well Zozatky Just made your sandwich spread, had one or two difficulties as I did not buy enough ingredients so cut the quantity down by half. Amazed at the amount of liquid that came out of the veg which I let stand overnight. When I had all the ingredients in the pan simmering away nicely it would not get to the thickness I wanted so put in some cornflour and now it is fine. Did find it a little tart so added more sugar. I think these two problems were because I had to guess some of the ingredients because of cutting the recipe down by half.
Like you we have cupboards full of jams, marmalades, pickles, chutneys, salad cream, because either cannot get it here or do not like the quality as in the jams they are too runny.
Anyway many thanks for your recipe, as you say it is pretty close to the bought ones.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom