fran1

sales tax fee
be careful, the sales tax fee should be shared between the buyer and the seller, unless you have agreed otherwisw on your contract. You should pay 1.5% and the seller should pay 1.5%

lakegl

sales tax fee
Most of our contracts indicate that we, as buyers, are responsible for the full amount of sales tax.
The government recently made a reduction from 3 to 1 percent until 30th june but i think this may have been extended.
I paid mine while i was over there and was asked for cash.
see thread on transfer tax for my experence
glenda

ralph

sales tax fee
Has anyone any reliable information if the sales tax reduction been extended! Or if anyone has applied for tapu after the 30th June and what have they paid.

Many thanks

DtB

sales tax fee
Apparently it's been extended until the end of Sept. this year, but is your "sales tax" the same as "transfer tax" and if so, at what rate is stamp duty levied please?

ralph

sales tax fee
I believe it is; i.e. sales tax is same as transfer tax. But where did you find out about the extention to 30th sept??

Stamp duty is much lower. To give you an idea. In Istanbul I paid 850 TL on aproperty of $120000.

Last edited:

lakegl

sales tax fee
I believe that sales tax is what i call transfer tax. Ie they are the same thing.
I have my tapu and have only paid the 1 percent (before 30/6) - unless I am in for another payment i don't know about!
Is anyone further ahead?
Glenda

Mark and Wendy

Wendy and Mark
sales tax fee
Hooray, Just got emailed a copy of my Tapu from Solicitors. Only paid the 1%. Don't know which boxes are meant to be ticked?

Wendy

Trott

sales tax fee
Hi Wendy and Mark

We also have a copy of our Tapu we should all have the middle box crossed as can only do the other box when site is completed this is what I was told by the lawyer in Turkey and according to our lawyer this is not due until 30th Dec ( not sure which year they were talking about though) ha! ha! Then we can take this to the relevant office and get the cross moved over. So we still have a wait it seems before all is done. Hope this helps if anyone has any other info would be good to hear from you.

Jane and Gary

gren

sales tax fee
Hi Wendy and Mark. We also have a copy of our Tapu we should all have the middle box crossed as can only do the other box when site is completed this is what I was told by the lawyer in Turkey and according to our lawyer this is not due until 30th Dec ( not sure which year they were talking about though) ha! ha! Then we can take this to the relevant office and get the cross moved over. So we still have a wait it seems before all is done. Hope this helps if anyone has any other info would be good to hear from you. Jane and Gary

The 'Kat Mulkıyetı' box is crossable only upon the council stamping off the site as finished according to the building plan and supplying a permission certificate. (Rushatı). With this Rushatı, the TAPU can be upgraded from 'land' to 'land and building'.

The sales/transfer/property tax paid to the Government should be based on the SALES price. (so what price is written on your TAPU??)

It is split equally between buyer/seller unless "agreed" otherwise
and should be paid through a traceable bank account.
If it is paid cash and you pay based on the SALES PRICE, then its highly likely that tax that IS paid is based on the TAPU value (usually much lower) and the rest gets pocketted. Nice little earner for the emlak/builder.

Jon & Mia

sales tax fee
Hi
Does anyone know if there are any plans to drop the sales tax to 1% again? I know there was some speculation.
We have just ben tols that our Military permission has come through so I would hate to pay at 3% and then find it drops 2 weeks later.
Thanks
Jon

lakegl

sales tax fee
I'm a bit concerned about this sales tax. I paid (was only given the option to pay) in cash. This was in June when I also got my tapu.
I notice my tapu states that the value of]the property is 60,000. It is euros and I paid 1 percent of that (60,000 euros) in tax but the tapu doesn't say what currency and 60,000 lira is quite a difference in value and tax.
About the tax going down again - Utku did advise to wait until sept/oct. Maybe he has some more info?
Glenda

moortenerife

moortenerife
sales tax fee
i have two tapus for two different propertys and they are both in lira. the amount on many owners tapus will be considerably less than what they have actually paid. we bought both propertys off plan and when i questioned why these amounts were not what we paid i was told it was to save us money on the tax, i found this strange because on the first property the tax was included in the purchase price and didn't cost us anything. i have since read on this forum that the developer is basically fiddling the government and that we probably will have to pay the difference in tax.

Jon & Mia

sales tax fee
It does sound as if there is some fiddling going on. I have no problem im paying a lower amount in tax - however what I don't want to do is pay the full amount to the builder only for him to pay a reduced amount to the government and pocket the difference. I shall get some clear info from my solicitor as to who I am actually paying. If it is a tax it should be paid to the government not to the builder.
I have searched online but although a raft of tax reductions were extended and are to be reviewed in Seprember it would appear that the property sales tax went back up after the three months.
I just wondered if anyone living in Turkey had heard any rumours in the press.

gren

sales tax fee
You pay 20,000 Euros for a house and get Tapu.
The emlak or builderemlak (or waiteremlak) says you must pay 1% tax to government, so you pay 1% of 20,000 Euros (200 Euros) and everyone is happy.

BUT on the Tapu the house is valued at 20,000TL, and 1% of 20,000TL is 200TL (94 Euros)

So the government got their 200TL (94 Euros), and the other 106 Euros (200 - 94)
goes into emlaks pocket.

Emlak is happy, government is happy and even YOU are happy until you find out you've been conned..

The value on the Turkish Tapu is always in Turkish Lira.

Peregrine

sales tax fee
"sounds like theres some fiddling going on" .... of course there is! its been like that since the time of the Romans and always will be.

Where theres gullible people with money, and willing to pay in cash (cos its easier) there will allways be someone ready to con you out of your money

I dont think its particularly restricted to turkey, but they do seem to be masters at it

Thanks gren for explaining how (at least some of) it works

said this before - get yourself a receipt book and write down all the payments you make and dont give anyone cash that wont sign to say he's received it

Marian

sales tax fee
Hi Guys. its been interesting reading about the tax issue. Well so far i have just managed to pay for the property, but have not sent any money over for the tax payment. i am intending to travel to Turkey in October to finalise the purchase and get some furniture. i was intending to pay the Tax fee directly to builder but now after reading the comments i will obtain TAPU myself and pay the fee directly to Tax office, then see how much i am charged.

any further update will be good.:gathering

Latest Posts

Top Bottom