merlin

Saklikent then on to Patara....
Around AD 275 Nicholas was born in Patara, on the south east Lycian coast.

pataramap9if9am.jpg

At that time Patara's population was about 15,000. It enjoyed some sea trade, but probably relied primarily on cottage craft industry — labor intensive food processing, textile and pottery making, woodworking, glass, metalwork, leather, bone and shell craft, brick, tile and stone work—for local use. Located in a valley surrounded by hills, a stone arch formed the entrance from the north and a narrow notch in the hills to the south gave access to the Mediterranean Sea. Patara's acropolis, a temple dedicated to Artemis, was on a hill overlooking the city. The outdoor amphitheatre, made of local stone with twenty-five tiers of seats, is below the acropolis.

During Nicholas' lifetime, the harbour filled with silt and the city gradually lost importance. Sand dunes have since gradually covered much of the town.

The prominent Roman ruins are from structures that would have been familiar to Nicholas. The Christian community his family belonged to may have been started by the Apostle Paul, who boarded a ship in Patara on his third missionary journey to Tyre. Remains of the harbour church can be seen in the water.

Patara is the setting for one of the most extraordinary beaches in Turkey. Some 20km long with an average width of 50 metres, the beach here boasts dramatic dunes formed from silky soft sand. To the rear there is a pine forest whist on the beach itself you can see Oleander trees.

For me Patara is the most beautiful place I have ever seen on Gods earth. Just 1 hour from Fethiye, Patara is a must see for anyone visiting or living in Turkey.

Spend a few hours at Saklikent and then take the 30 minute drive onto Patara, grab a cheap hotel for the night and....

<center>R E L A X!</center>
patara14mw4gs.jpg

patarathrutrees6kn4gm.jpg

Merv!
;)

carol

We visited Saklikent and then travelled onto Patara in 1997 loved both plac es .
Patara beach was empty we just managed to make out a couple of figures of people at one end of the beach and that was using binoculars.great beach the water was warm and we really enjoyed our visit great for relaxing and chilling out.

merlin

I was there in 2001 and it was Jandarma controlled - closed at night because of the Turtles. Further up the beach a local showed me and an old flame how to get in there and what a night LOL (not that!) - shooting stars.... I have never seen anything like the night sky as you get at Patara.

As for the beach and sea - superb. Its the closest rolling surf to Cornwall that I have seen in Turkey.

Its that sort of place you could never live in, but equally its also one of those places that remains with you forever and sends tingles down your spine whenever someone mentions it.

Can bit a bit too hot for kiddies as the beach is very exposed and theres very little shelter from the sun.

Merv!

puma

hi just got back today we spent 2 days in patara ,went by bus to patara took 1hr and stayed in mehmet hotel and it was fantastic the staff are so friendly it is family run and made us very welcome. the beach is gorgeous and has been voted the best beach in the world(fetiye times) went into the village in the evening and it is so relaxing, did not want to go back to the house in catalerik ,but work had to be done, will be doing this again in sept+oct

DaveH

mmmmmmm sounds a great couple of days.... think we will give it a visit :)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom