sunshine

Safes.....
Hi all
we are due to arrive in tinky at the end of september to furnish our newly built appartment(and cant wait!)
However we have a four year old little girl,and after reading some of the threads about break ins even when you are asleep! it has unfortunatley made us look in the direction of security rather sooner than perhaps we normally would have.
We have read the threads about security grills and changing the locks which we certainly will be doing so,but does any one know if you can purchase Safes of the kind that you normaly find in hotel rooms?i am thinking more along the lines of the keypad design rather than the ones with KEYS.
And how much do they cost?
Thank You

speedy

Safes.....
if not migros then koc tas in Bodrum or the DIY place on the soke outlet, tha's where I bought bought mine, secured it to the floor in a place thats not too obvious as well

Last edited:
Safes.....
We got a floor standing safe from Errin Spot in Fethiye that it took 5 turkish men to lift in as we were told that burglars can even get the little bolted ones out!
We have to hope we dont get more than 4 burglars at once I guess!
As they have a flight of stairs too hopefully several will have had heart attacks before getting it on a lorry!
Dont think you ever win really!

Last edited:

speedy

Safes.....
A stubborn thief will be able to get whatever they want but they will think twice of ripping up a well bolted down safe, you can only do so much before you attempt to turn your HOME into fort knox?

sunshine

Safes.....
Thank you all for your quick responces,very kind and helpfull.
yes unfortunatley if a thief wants something bad enough he will get it eventually,but as long as we make it as hard as possible for him then maybe the more chance he has of getting caught in the act(and getting a right hander from my husband)

Safes.....
sunshine said:
Thank you all for your quick responces,very kind and helpfull.
yes unfortunatley if a thief wants something bad enough he will get it eventually,but as long as we make it as hard as possible for him then maybe the more chance he has of getting caught in the act(and getting a right hander from my husband)
Or you!
Thump them girl!

Liteman

Liteman
Safes.....
we bought a floor standing safe, last summer it took for of us to carry it, that was in Tinky, a friend of mine arranged it, they turned up with a lorry full of them and you just pick the one you want, cost about £80

sunshine

Safes.....
Liteman
We have actually heard of this lorry from our agent in tinky.
Can you tell me if they have the key coded ones?as we would like to stay away from KEYS as much as possible...
thank you.

speedy

Safes.....
I can’t understand why people are purchasing these large safes, you must all have very valuable goods that you take away on hols. I would try to make it more difficult and hide any valuable that I had in more than one location in my property. Be careful not to reveal the whereabouts of your property if there are people out there looking for an opportunity and reading or get info on this they may click that those buying these large safes must have a large amount of valuable items hanging around their house. Just my opinion.

Paul

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Safes.....
Speedy - havıng had two burglaries this year, your strategy would have been no use - they ransacked the house looking for hiding places, upturned the beds, emptied cupboards, even checked the freezer. İf my passport etc had not been in the safe (which they didnt manage to open) İ would have lost all the most valuable thıngs.
İan

speedy

Safes.....
yes but probably a small safe which i have and also security bars etc, thinking of a wireless alarm sytem as well but just dont feel that i have ti have a huge safe, again just my opinion as i stated earlier, feel free to secure your own property in any way you want to.

extra patio door and window locks are worth getting as the windows are easy get into in most that I have seen used in turkey ans many people think their apartment is safe if they are higher than ground level, again not true as robbers use each other to scale the apts or if good have a van and ladder available, if yoyr apartment or villa has something that could be used to gain extra height for someone, make sure it's secured away when you are away from the property etc etc

Last edited:
Safes.....
speedy said:
yes but probably a small safe which i have and also security bars etc, thinking of a wireless alarm sytem as ell but just dont feel that i have ti have a huge safe, again just my opinion as i stated earlier, feel free to secure your own property in any way you want to
Its all opinion really but with a large safe needing 4 or 5 people to lift perhaps an intruder would think I cant lift that and it must have all the things of value in it so call it a day!
Thats the theory anyway but possibly a bit naive!!
We are not residents in our apartment so possibly circumstances are different to those who leave valuables in the safe all year.

speedy

Safes.....
lol a good crook will open those safes, if it's just your normal joe blogg opportunist robber then I guess thats what you need, but again if it is that's the sort of guy breaking into my place , he would have to find my small safe and get past the intruder alarm etc etc

Safes.....
speedy said:
lol a good crook will open those safes, if it's just your normal joe blogg opportunist robber then I guess thats what you need, but again if it is that's the sort of guy breaking into my place , he would have to find my small safe and get past the intruder alarm etc etc
Yes we take your point
The intruder alarm sounds great but would you bother like us if you only visited 3 or 4 times a year?
Are they expensive?
As you say what with huge safes,security bars, alarms etc is that more essential for residents rather than converting a holiday home into Fort Knox?
We have the bars and the safe currently in our armoury

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Safes.....
I agree that these big safes give a false impression of security (mine is a small strong-box rather than big safe). One of these big ones in the office of a friend had to have a locksmith to change tumblers when keys were lost - it only took him 10 seconds to open the lock!!!
The strongest safe is only as good as the lock.
I am concerned that a lot of absentee owners will start fitting alarms that will be set off by thunder or power cuts ( or burglars) and will just go on forever with nobody to respond or able to get into the house to silence them.
Ian

Latest Posts

Top Bottom